Please stop blaming Kam's agent

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
WilliamCooper":2dq0odt8 said:
He is the boss of his agent, not the other way around. To take any other approach is to advocate a paternalistic attitude towards contracting. I guess we should have a different set of standards of contracting when we are dealing with "you typical kid from the hood," right?

Hey! Congrats! This is some of the hottest garbage I've had the misfortune of reading on this site!

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
rcaido":1sm9fh1d said:
That's it...That's it.....WilliamCooper is Alvin Keels...Alvin Keels is WilliamCooper

WilliamCooper is Kam's agent....OMG WilliamCooper is Kam's Agent!

Considering that people are currently being Twitter-banned for inconsequential statements in support of #31, odder things have happened in the field of PR.

But if that were true, then Keels is driving a bus right for our Strong Safety.

andyh64000

Reaction score
WilliamCooper":1zp0un7g said:
Hawk_Nation":1zp0un7g said:
WilliamCooper":1zp0un7g said:
Hawk_Nation":1zp0un7g said:
An agent is hired to get you the BEST deal you can get for the span of the contract. Not for one year.

Actually, the agent is hired to do whatever the player tells him to do. Again, he works for the player. If Kam told him to ask for a billion dollars in 2016, and Keels said no, Kam would be perfectly within his legal rights to fire Keels and find someone that will try to get him a billion dollars.

I suppose Kam's agent isn't the one that put it in his ear that he can get more money? Right.

Again, the agent works for the player. Kam is a grown man. The decision to enter into this is on Kam. Kam knew that the current situation was likely to unfold.

You have to understand, this stuff doesn't work like the movies. You don't "put things" in your client's ears. Your client comes to you and tells you what they want. I am sorry, but some of you have been watching too much Jerry Maguire.

If they really got within $900k during training camp and couldn't get the deal done then Kam has the worst agent in the history of sports...so yes I put a lot of the blame on him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
WilliamCooper":3kcjhggh said:
Kam is a man. He is 27 years old. He has four years of university education. He reads and writes English. He is more than capable of understanding the consequences of his actions. He is the boss of his agent, not the other way around. To take any other approach is to advocate a paternalistic attitude towards contracting. I guess we should have a different set of standards of contracting when we are dealing with "you typical kid from the hood," right?

You're really taking this discussion in an unnecessary direction.

No one's saying Kam is uneducated, or not smart enough to know what's going on. We're contradicting your statement that Keel is just doing what Kam wants him to do.

Again, agents are paid a lot of money to give expertise on the process, of which they know more than the player. That's why they're part of the process. To just say Keel's doing what Kam wants is not correct, it's just not.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
WilliamCooper":193ljpwe said:
Hawk_Nation":193ljpwe said:
An agent is hired to get you the BEST deal you can get for the span of the contract. Not for one year.

Actually, the agent is hired to do whatever the player tells him to do. Again, he works for the player. If Kam told him to ask for a billion dollars in 2016, and Keels said no, Kam would be perfectly within his legal rights to fire Keels and find someone that will try to get him a billion dollars.

Then why bother having an agent?

We just need to get Bennett's wife to tell to get back to work.

andyh64000

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1loadj8g said:
I disagree. I'm in the investment and insurance business, if I just did what my clients wanted then I'd be out of business and they'd be broke. Because the majority of their decisions are based on emotional and panic, not logic or sound financial reasoning.

Being an agent or adviser is about expertise. You're being paid to know more than the client or customer does, that's the ENTIRE reason you're in the equation. So for Keel to just do whatever Kam wants is being an extremely poor adviser. He's being paid to give Kam sound advice, even if that means saying things Kam doesn't want to hear.

This!!!!

minormillikin

Reaction score
How old is Kam? I was pretty stupid in my early 20s (I thought I was brilliant). I would have not only taken whatever advice my agent gave me, but probably give him the reigns and let him call most of the shots regarding contracts, etc..

I'm not calling Kam dumb, but he's probably only as smart as the average young dude.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
andyh64000":218yhmqa said:
Sgt. Largent":218yhmqa said:
I disagree. I'm in the investment and insurance business, if I just did what my clients wanted then I'd be out of business and they'd be broke. Because the majority of their decisions are based on emotional and panic, not logic or sound financial reasoning.

Being an agent or adviser is about expertise. You're being paid to know more than the client or customer does, that's the ENTIRE reason you're in the equation. So for Keel to just do whatever Kam wants is being an extremely poor adviser. He's being paid to give Kam sound advice, even if that means saying things Kam doesn't want to hear.

This!!!!

You're discussing nuances. Kam's situation is diametrically opposed. The first question Kam's agent asked him was, are you comfortable holding out to the detriment of your team? I think we all know what Kam's answer was.

It's fine to put the particulars of the situation on Keels, but the buck stops with Kam. He's the one that is happy holding out.

andyh64000

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":1mk5wyqi said:
andyh64000":1mk5wyqi said:
Sgt. Largent":1mk5wyqi said:

This!!!!

You're discussing nuances. Kam's situation is diametrically opposed. The first question Kam's agent asked him was, are you comfortable holding out to the detriment of your team? I think we all know what Kam's answer was.

It's fine to put the particulars of the situation on Keels, but the buck stops with Kam. He's the one that is happy holding out.

The agent is paid to know how things will play out and negotiate on the player's behalf. I don't think they expected this. And again...if they were within 900k and couldn't get a deal done then he needs to be fired.

OP
OP
W

WilliamCooper

Reaction score
If they really got within $900k during training camp and couldn't get the deal done then Kam has the worst agent in the history of sports...so yes I put a lot of the blame on him.[/quote]

Or Kam told his agent to tell the Hawks to pack sand.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Some fans are having a hard time blaming a fan fave and have to find another person to blame...This is all on the quitter...no one else...The quitter can stay home for the next 4 years. I have moved past the quitter and hope the quitter never plays another down of football again. If they re-sign the quitter pandoras box opens and we have a few more quitters to deal with next year...If they let the quitter sit at home then it send a message to anyone lese thinking about holding out that they are not going to get very far. The damage has been done...

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Cyrus12":21rv1a45 said:
Some fans are having a hard time blaming a fan fave and have to find another person to blame...This is all on the quitter...no one else...The quitter can stay home for the next 4 years. I have moved past the quitter and hope the quitter never plays another down of football again. If they re-sign the quitter pandoras box opens and we have a few more quitters to deal with next year...If they let the quitter sit at home then it send a message to anyone lese thinking about holding out that they are not going to get very far. The damage has been done...
Great post! I agree completely. A few fans seem to think Kam's agent is the insidious whisperer from Lord of the Rings. I have no skin in the game in the debate, to me, as a neutral, the op wins the argument. Kam's agent is legally required to do what his client tells him.

chris98251

Reaction score
You hire a lawyer to defend you, you answer his questions and he defends you or works out contracts etc. When it comes to a point where he needs you to choose something he asks you. You are not there every day telling him how to do his job. Not so different with a sports agent, Kam obnviously wanted a tweek of his contract, told the Agent, agent is working the situation, if Kam wanted to end the hold out he would just need to call the Agent and tell him I am ending the hold out but continue, or were going to end it and try the off season, or have his agent work something for a trade.

Kam pulls the strings, the Agent works the situation, till Kam says not too.

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
For me, it is not that complicated. I blame both of them. Kam and the agent. Simple.

OP
OP
W

WilliamCooper

Reaction score
chris98251":ossa8h5c said:
You hire a lawyer to defend you, you answer his questions and he defends you or works out contracts etc. When it comes to a point where he needs you to choose something he asks you. You are not there every day telling him how to do his job. Not so different with a sports agent, Kam obnviously wanted a tweek of his contract, told the Agent, agent is working the situation, if Kam wanted to end the hold out he would just need to call the Agent and tell him I am ending the hold out but continue, or were going to end it and try the off season, or have his agent work something for a trade.

This guy gets it. All Kam would have to do is get on a plane and show up at the VMAC and the hold out is over, he's not even obligated to tell his agent he's showing up.

The problem is, many people are looking for a scape goat. Just like the people who run up tens of thousands of dollars in consumer debt, and then blame the banks when they want their money. It's a product of our culture.

andyh64000

Reaction score
WilliamCooper":2luubev3 said:
chris98251":2luubev3 said:

This guy gets it. All Kam would have to do is get on a plane and show up at the VMAC and the hold out is over, he's not even obligated to tell his agent he's showing up.

The problem is, many people are looking for a scape goat. Just like the people who run up tens of thousands of dollars in consumer debt, and then blame the banks when they want their money. It's a product of our culture.

I blame Kam too...I just think if he had a different agent he would be playing right now.

mikeak

Reaction score
Ironically if Kam doesn't think the agent performs properly he will cut him.

I wonder what Kam will tell his agent if the agent asks for his future money to be moved into this year.....

andyh64000

Reaction score
mikeak":2jvn66a2 said:

I wonder what Kam will tell his agent if the agent asks for his future money to be moved into this year.....

His agent already pulled that on a different player and got in trouble for it.

OP
OP
W

WilliamCooper

Reaction score
andyh64000":36kd8zz2 said:
mikeak":36kd8zz2 said:

His agent already pulled that on a different player and got in trouble for it.

Yea, that's a no no under this CBA. Borrowing money from your clients can land you in hot water.

Times have changed, it used to be the wild west. I remember Leigh Steinberg telling me that Troy Aikman loaned him the money for a down payment on his first home. Funny how times have changed.