POLL: Does Marshawn Lynch belong in the Hall of Fame?

POLL: Does Marshawn Lynch belong in the Hall of Fame?

• Yes

Votes: 126 63.0%
  • No

Votes: 74 37.0%

• Total voters

SixSeahawk

Reaction score
He should get in just so we can see what he does for the ceremony; if for nothing else.

"Yeah" - Marshawn Lynch at his HOF induction

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The great thing about Lynch is that he seems to be comfortable with himself.

I do think that his thing with the media, is partway from his not liking how people characterize him because of his accent and his look. I remember some of the crap being said about him, and there is a segment of idiots in this country that for whatever reason decide their life is made better by mocking someone for their ethnicity. (Read the comments in a yahoo or youtube and you will see what I mean).

But I think there was a happy accident with that, Lynch became first a character - and then people bothered to scratch below the surface and saw just how driven & involved he was in trying to make things better for others. Which really stems from the fact that Lynch, above all else, is loyal.

But where I am going with this, is that little things that matter to other people don't seem to for him. Lynch seems to care about the big things. What kind of difference he can make in the lives of others, loyalty, family, etc. Sure he also likes the shiny shoes and the shiny car, which makes sense when you grow up with nothing - but I suspect he could take or leave that stuff. Same with the Hall.

He doesn't need the Hall to be great. Hell, you have 49er fans coming here paying their respect. That should tell you something. He impacted the game, that should be enough.

Also Lynch is one of those guys that is going to look back at the kids he helped, the businesses he built and see that as his legacy. Most of the current NFL players already recognize him as one of the greats, he doesn't need a statue or a jacket to validate him.

If he gets in, I actually suspect he would show, but I think a guy that made a living shrugging off the hits of 4 tacklers and still getting another 2-3 or 23 yards out of the carry....has enough internal drive he doesn't need someone to recognize his greatness.

I get that he was a complicated guy, and I am sure there were some fractious stuff between him and the team at times. But I really hope the team keeps & builds on the relationship between it, him & the fans. It wouldn't hurt this team at all to keep him as part of its soul for as long as we can.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
IndyHawk":35te76hn said:
Uncle Si":35te76hn said:
Hall of Fame is funny.

He won't be judged against RBs of the past, but of his era (last 15-20 years). In that, you would include an Emmit Smith (all time yardage leader), Tomlinson (TD record), AP (2000 yard season, single game record), Faulk, Terrel Davis (2000 yard season), Alexander (TD record, MVP, 5 TD game). How do his stats compare there? They also like those "seminal" athletes... ones who had an impact on the game beyond stats. What does Lynch bring? Statistically he is consistently in the top 1-3 in his prime. But his epic runs are still a part of any playoff our RB highlight reel.

I don't think these comparisons give Lynch a good shot. (once researched). It will come down to his impact on the game while he played it. Not sure its enough in comparison.

Lynch: 9000 yards, 74 TDS, 250 receptions, 1900 yards, 9 TDs
Davis: 7607, 60Tds, 169 receptions, 1300 yards, 5 TDs
Smith: 18000 yards, 164 TDs, 515 receptions, 3200 yards, 11 TDs
Tomlinson: 13000 yards, 145 TDs, 624 receptions, 4800 yards, 17 TDs
You got Davis stats wrong ,they are close to Lynch..Real close @9,000 total yards

Yikes...i swapped his attempts as his yards and added a "0" for good measure. He's much lower than Lynch in terms of yards... hampered by three lost years at the end of his career.

Good catch.

Still think Lynch will be compared with Davis, Bettis (Didn't post the stats because someone else did), Smith, Tomlinson and AP and Faulk.

Alot of sentiment in the thread is about his style of running and impact on the game. It will need to be a factor in spite of the stats. For Davis, it will be about what his potential, and that 2-3 years where he was the best player in the game.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Uncle Si":37rtio9r said:
IndyHawk":37rtio9r said:
Uncle Si":37rtio9r said:
Hall of Fame is funny.

He won't be judged against RBs of the past, but of his era (last 15-20 years). In that, you would include an Emmit Smith (all time yardage leader), Tomlinson (TD record), AP (2000 yard season, single game record), Faulk, Terrel Davis (2000 yard season), Alexander (TD record, MVP, 5 TD game). How do his stats compare there? They also like those "seminal" athletes... ones who had an impact on the game beyond stats. What does Lynch bring? Statistically he is consistently in the top 1-3 in his prime. But his epic runs are still a part of any playoff our RB highlight reel.

I don't think these comparisons give Lynch a good shot. (once researched). It will come down to his impact on the game while he played it. Not sure its enough in comparison.

Lynch: 9000 yards, 74 TDS, 250 receptions, 1900 yards, 9 TDs
Davis: 7607, 60Tds, 169 receptions, 1300 yards, 5 TDs
Smith: 18000 yards, 164 TDs, 515 receptions, 3200 yards, 11 TDs
Tomlinson: 13000 yards, 145 TDs, 624 receptions, 4800 yards, 17 TDs
You got Davis stats wrong ,they are close to Lynch..Real close @9,000 total yards

Yikes...i swapped his attempts as his yards and added a "0" for good measure. He's much lower than Lynch in terms of yards... hampered by three lost years at the end of his career.

Good catch.

Still think Lynch will be compared with Davis, Bettis (Didn't post the stats because someone else did), Smith, Tomlinson and AP and Faulk.

Alot of sentiment in the thread is about his style of running and impact on the game. It will need to be a factor in spite of the stats. For Davis, it will be about what his potential, and that 2-3 years where he was the best player in the game.

The most recent RB inductees are Curtis Martin and Jerome Bettis, and Beast's numbers don't compare well, especially when you consider that he's not the best RB of his era, at least statistically, that is. Only having played 9 seasons will weigh him down as well.

Besides, his off field behavior is going to influence voting in a very negative way.

Even though I'd personally take him on my team over someone like Bettis or Curtis Martin, I don't think he has a snowball's chance in hell of ever getting elected. I'd be surprised if he even makes it onto a ballot.