Poll: Which second year player makes biggest impact?

Which second year player makes biggest impact?

• Rashad Penny

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Rasheem Green

Votes: 8 11.3%
  • Will Dissly

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • Shaquem Griffin

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Tre Flowers

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • Michael Dickson

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Jacob Martin

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • Jamarco Jones

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 2.8%

• Total voters

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I voted for Rasheem Green b/c the team needs the 2nd year DE guys to step forward, and b/c I want to see an effective pass rush. If Jacob Martin had more sand in his pants he might be a candidate too, but in fact Shaqueem weighs more than him and is faster.

With the present talent here I wonder if the team shows more 3-4 looks defensively? Pete's scheme morphs into that situationally anyway. I might also have voted for Poona if he was on the list. He was a nice surprise last year.

There are no wrong choice here and I truly hope all of these guys step up. Tre Flowers is guy who if he improves could be a candidate for the Pro Bowl.

pehawk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":28et63xa said:
I voted for Rasheem Green b/c the team needs the 2nd year DE guys to step forward, and b/c I want to see an effective pass rush. If Jacob Martin had more sand in his pants he might be a candidate too, but in fact Shaqueem weighs more than him and is faster.

With the present talent here I wonder if the team shows more 3-4 looks defensively? Pete's scheme morphs into that situationally anyway. I might also have voted for Poona if he was on the list. He was a nice surprise last year.

There are no wrong choice here and I truly hope all of these guys step up. Tre Flowers is guy who if he improves could be a candidate for the Pro Bowl.

Agreed

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Another reason for choosing Green is his early performance last year during the preseason where he at times looked like a monster. This likely was against 3rd string OLinemen and didn't translate into effectiveness during the regular season but he was hurt by then and we don't know for sure just when that was.

The knock on him prior to the draft was his extreme youth, he was 21, and he apparently needed to spend time in a Pro weight training program as his playing strength was not quite where it apparently needed to be. His youth also had him playing against seasoned NFL tackles with less coaching up as far as technique than and older player might have coming out of college. he did play very well in college as an outside/in rusher for USC, but perhaps came out a year early. He did show a quick first step in his early appearances and seriously flashed to begin the preseason. As we all know DE is a difficult position to play well, and those who are best at it show a rare combination of speed, ability to bend, strength, and moves to counter blocking. The first things are basics but never as important as the counter moves or the pass rush initial moves those are learned tricks and improve with experience and increased functional strength.

Jacob Martin, while light in the pants @ 220, did however have the team leading number of pressures per pass rush attempts. The decisions at RDE will be interesting. I can see the deciding there isn't enough between Mingo and Griffin to axe Griffin while encouraging strength and size improvements from each of Green and Martin. Their collective experience will help to translate on the field.

McGruff

Reaction score
Jacob Martin was 3rd on the team in sacks.

Just process that for a moment.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
McGruff":3hww3p9t said:

He only had 3 sacks in 7 games. This speaks to how crappy the Seahawk pass rush was, with the exceptions being Clark and Reed.

acer1240

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2t2pwc8a said:
McGruff":2t2pwc8a said:

He only had 3 sacks in 7 games. This speaks to how crappy the Seahawk pass rush was, with the exceptions being Clark and Reed.

I don't know if that's a repeatable number for Reed either.

Either way, I'm hoping it's Uncle Will.

pehawk

Reaction score
acer1240":1wkuq07r said:
hawkfan68":1wkuq07r said:
McGruff":1wkuq07r said:

I don't know if that's a repeatable number for Reed either.

Either way, I'm hoping it's Uncle Will.

Its repeatable...If he's given the chance to rush. That dude has ****rd strength. They type of strength guards and centers can't handle. He's freaky strong.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Which of the above is a big impact the most important for the team? Maybe Martin or Flowers, as the D struggled at times to put pressure on the QB and prevent big plays. But the NFL offenses are getting quicker and quicker in terms of timing, pass rush may not be as important as it once was.

Still saying Dissley, maybe Penny. RW will need weapons to keep the ball moving next season and that side of the ball has questions marks in terms of play makers with Baldwin's retirement

acer1240

Reaction score
Wenhawk":3sijee9l said:
Flowers could be a Pro Bowl CB if he has a hot start this year.

I do know that if he does not take a step forward this year we are in trouble.

I'm worried about our corner situation even though that's in Pete's wheelhouse.

chris98251

Reaction score
Kicker Jason Myers, we have been inconsistent and taken losses due to kickers recently in the last few years. Will be interesting to see if we continue to miss kicks that are normally gimmees or solidify this finally.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Jordan Simmons, Guard.
Why wasn't he on the list? Is he technically not a 2nd year player? Last season was his first NFL game.
Dude was a beast last year when he played.We actually seemed to run the ball better with him in the lineup than Fluker.

Of the rest of the list, I'll go with Tre Flowers.

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":3irgg4r4 said:
Kicker Jason Myers, we have been inconsistent and taken losses due to kickers recently in the last few years. Will be interesting to see if we continue to miss kicks that are normally gimmees or solidify this finally.

Good point! Let's hope he picks up where he left off last year with the Jets.

I didn't include Myers though because he was on the Jaguars from 2015-2017.
There are some other second year players that I should've included tho, such as Poona and others. My bad

Latest posts