Popularity of Seattle Sports Teams

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Jville":26c3v3ai said:
Being a Mariner fan in the early Kingdom years was hard. I still remember the celebration that resulted from having their first non-lossing season. Good players, that they could afford, were few in number. Most sports fans in Seattle don't even know who this is ................

81 6bd485ce 0082 44b1 832e 695155c264ed superJumbo
Great command of his fastball, curveball, slider and splitter. Typically pitched a lot of innings because of his lively resilient arm. Terrific mental focus on his trade. With Seattle, rarely saw team mates support him with more than a run in any one game. Team mates frequently failed to support with any runs in many games. Perhaps the best of the Mariners hidden and unknown talents.

He signed for $100,000, reached the majors within a year and never had an arm injury. He has dealt with no aches or pains in retirement, he said, and even now, he throws batting practice three or four times a week at the high school — fastballs, curveballs, sliders, splitters. [urltargetblank]https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/04/sports/baseball/mlb-draft-pitchers.html[/urltargetblank]

.............................................. just a reflection on my part that even during grim days in Seattle sports there have been terrific bright spots. I'll return you now to happy memories and to the ongoing popularity poll.
Mike Moore. ...and I didn’t cheat.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
The pro teams always feel more popular to me than the Huskies.

I'd rank it:

1. Seahawks
2. Mariners
3. Husky Football
4. Sounders
5. Husky Basketball

I'm basing this, just on the past few years. More casual fans in Seattle know about the Mariners than the Huskies. As for me, I could care less about Sounders, just never got into MLS soccer. I doubt I'll watch much of the Mariners the next couple years. It's all about the Seahawks and Huskies for me. It's tough to find a more popular college team than a pro team in a big city.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":9po4t5aq said:

I'd rank it:

1. Seahawks
2. Mariners
3. Husky Football
4. Sounders
5. Husky Basketball

I'm basing this, just on the past few years. More casual fans in Seattle know about the Mariners than the Huskies. As for me, I could care less about Sounders, just never got into MLS soccer. I doubt I'll watch much of the Mariners the next couple years. It's all about the Seahawks and Huskies for me. It's tough to find a more popular college team than a pro team in a big city.

Sounders draw 40,000 a match, what do the M's average, like 25k?......and it's about to be less than 20k.

I think sometimes we apply our own preferences to lists like this...........but believe me right now with a decade low interest level in the M's during a "rebuild" and the Sounders being very good? I'd definitely put them higher on this list.

And after hockey gets here, they're going to be even lower.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3i3uul6s said:
Hawk-Lock":3i3uul6s said:

I'd rank it:

1. Seahawks
2. Mariners
3. Husky Football
4. Sounders
5. Husky Basketball

Sounders draw 40,000 a match, what do the M's average, like 25k?......and it's about to be less than 20k.

I think sometimes we apply our own preferences to lists like this...........but believe me right now with a decade low interest level in the M's during a "rebuild" and the Sounders being very good? I'd definitely put them higher on this list.

I would say there are more hardcore Sounder fans than Mariner fans, but overall popularity goes to the M’s. I listen to sports talk radio a lot, neither 710 or KJR talks about the Sounders. Why? Because people would change the station. A lot of people have little interest in MLS. Same reason why SportsCenter or other national TV shoes give such small coverage of MLS.

Also keep in mind that there are 81 home games in baseball compared to 17 in MLS. Huge difference there.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":26azn1jd said:
I would say there are more hardcore Sounder fans than Mariner fans, but overall popularity goes to the M’s. I listen to sports talk radio a lot, neither 710 or KJR talks about the Sounders. Why? Because people would change the station. A lot of people have little interest in MLS. Same reason why SportsCenter or other national TV shoes give such small coverage of MLS.

This is probably a good way of looking at it. Sports radio is obviously going to want the ratings, to get the ratings they talk about what the audience wants to hear about. In the Portland market its probably Ducks and Beavers football. Then Trailblazers basketball. Then Ducks and Beavers basketball. The only time the Timbers are really ever mentioned is when they're playing in the MLS championship game or something.

chris98251

Reaction score
You can't base it on Radio play, most guys know more about Football, Baseball and Basketball on broadcasts, most played when younger, not as much in Soccer. Also Mariners tie into the MLB and there is a lot of talk that crosses over.

Take the ears off and use your eyes and look at gear, license plates in the area and you can really see a bigger difference.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2d5gu41u said:
Sgt. Largent":2d5gu41u said:
Hawk-Lock":2d5gu41u said:

I'd rank it:

1. Seahawks
2. Mariners
3. Husky Football
4. Sounders
5. Husky Basketball

Also keep in mind that there are 81 home games in baseball compared to 17 in MLS. Huge difference there.

KJR talks about the Sounders now, because they're the flagship station for them........just as KIRO is for the M's.

That's how it works, radio stations promote themselves.

btw, I listen to a LOT of sports radio, and other than the spring training games now on in the afternoons on KIRO, I've heard very little M's talk. Why would they, there's nothing to talk about. It might be the most boring team fielded in the history of the team, and that's saying something.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1mmpapky said:
Hawk-Lock":1mmpapky said:
Sgt. Largent":1mmpapky said:
Hawk-Lock":1mmpapky said:

I'd rank it:

1. Seahawks
2. Mariners
3. Husky Football
4. Sounders
5. Husky Basketball

KJR talks about the Sounders now, because they're the flagship station for them........just as KIRO is for the M's.

That's how it works, radio stations promote themselves.

btw, I listen to a LOT of sports radio, and other than the spring training games now on in the afternoons on KIRO, I've heard very little M's talk. Why would they, there's nothing to talk about. It might be the most boring team fielded in the history of the team, and that's saying something.

When the M’s season starts, there will be way more M’s talk than Sounders on KJR. I listen to KJR every day on and off throughout the day, they talk about the M’s spring training everyday. They rarely talk about the Sounders and almost never go in depth on them. They know people will turn the station. If they are as popular as you say, then how come in April-September when both teams are playing, Mariners dominate the radio more than the Sounders? Sounders have a hardcore fan base, probably second to the Seahawks, but have very few casual fans.

I’m not trying to make a case for them, because the Mariners are a pathetic franchise, but people casually follow them, even when they suck, which is basically every season.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":31n0iwaa said:
I’m not trying to make a case for them, because the Mariners are a pathetic franchise, but people casually follow them, even when they suck, which is basically every season.

Fair enough.

I guess we're splitting hairs on what the word popular means. I think you nailed it above.........I'm talking more about passion and insane fans, and you're talking about general interest.

btw, I disagree a little on the radio play. I think both sports stations are run by old antiquated sports dinosaurs that think old formats of football, college and baseball is what people want to hear.

You also have to take into account that most programming is host based now, and other than the Gasman who only guests hosts from time to time, there are no hardcore soccer or Sounders fans that host shows on either station. So of course they're not going to bend over backwards to talk soccer.

Even though I do think there's an audience for it.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":modqkwt4 said:
Hawk-Lock":modqkwt4 said:

Fair enough.

I guess we're splitting hairs on what the word popular means. I think you nailed it above.........I'm talking more about passion and insane fans, and you're talking about general interest.

btw, I disagree a little on the radio play. I think both sports stations are run by old antiquated sports dinosaurs that think old formats of football, college and baseball is what people want to hear.

You also have to take into account that most programming is host based now, and other than the Gasman who only guests hosts from time to time, there are no hardcore soccer or Sounders fans that host shows on either station. So of course they're not going to bend over backwards to talk soccer.

Even though I do think there's an audience for it.

I can’t argue with you on fan base intensity. I think you can make a case Sounders fans are as hardcore if not more than Seahawk fans. My sister is a season ticket holder for the Sounders and she says you stand and make noise the entire game.

Mariners and Sounders are almost opposites. A lot casually follow Mariners but no one really cares. I would think those that do follow the Sounders are crazy about them and care a lot.

D

DomeHawk

Huskies
Seahawks

Played all three major sports in HS before I settled on just football BUT:

I still can't watch the NBA or give a single penny to Starbucks after that backstabbing POS sold our Sonics down the road.

Baseball can be fun when there's something on the line but there's never anything on the line with the M's.

And, God help me, I have a good friend who is a major Sounders fan who tried to educate me on the nuances of soccer. I tried and tried but there is just no getting there for me. Thank God there was alcohol involved but it reminds of the first gas crisis song by Sammy Hagar: "I Can't Drive 55."

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
DomeHawk":16owujx2 said:
And, God help me, I have a good friend who is a major Sounders fan who tried to educate me on the nuances of soccer. I tried and tried but there is just no getting there for me. Thank God there was alcohol involved but it reminds of the first gas crisis song by Sammy Hagar: "I Can't Drive 55."

Soccer is like hockey, unless you're a die hard fan it doesn't translate well on the TV for the casual sports observer...........you need to see it in person.

Like hockey, the atmosphere and passion of the fans mixed with the intensity of the matches is infectious to be in that environment.

I don't try to convert my friends to the Sounders, I just take them to a match and that usually does the trick. It's just a good time.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":355w7uu8 said:
DomeHawk":355w7uu8 said:

Soccer is like hockey, unless you're a die hard fan it doesn't translate well on the TV for the casual sports observer...........you need to see it in person.

Like hockey, the atmosphere and passion of the fans mixed with the intensity of the matches is infectious to be in that environment.

I don't try to convert my friends to the Sounders, I just take them to a match and that usually does the trick. It's just a good time.

Yes and no.

Soccer is like hockey here because its still considered a niche sport in some circles.

And live both soccer and hockey are a much better experience... and id argue a much better experience than an over hyped nfl or college football game, with 10 minutes of actual play, less than 2 minutes of meaningful action and 2 plus hours of watching people stand around. Its fun couch tv though

Its clearly the sport of the present worldwide and immediate future here. Ive been enjoying more mls matches the last 2 years as well.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":l7mbbvnt said:
Sgt. Largent":l7mbbvnt said:
DomeHawk":l7mbbvnt said:

Yes and no.

Soccer is like hockey here because its still considered a niche sport in some circles.

And live both soccer and hockey are a much better experience... and id argue a much better experience than an over hyped nfl or college football game, with 10 minutes of actual play, less than 2 minutes of meaningful action and 2 plus hours of watching people stand around. Its fun couch tv though

Its clearly the sport of the present worldwide and immediate future here. Ive been enjoying more mls matches the last 2 years as well.

What's the "no" part.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Its global attraction is vastly superior to hockey, so that worldwide popularity plays a significant role in its development here.

PL, CL and world cup games translate remarkably well to the tv here as ratings indicate

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
The part where I struggle with MLS is that it isn't the best soccer players in the world. NFL consists of the best football athletes in the world. Same with NBA. Same with MLB. Watching MLS is like the equivalent of watching Arena League Football.

I'm not trying to disrespect the sport, because it has come a long way and seems to be growing. But when I watch sports, I like to watch the best people who play that sport.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":253jcd4m said:
The part where I struggle with MLS is that it isn't the best soccer players in the world. NFL consists of the best football athletes in the world. Same with NBA. Same with MLB. Watching MLS is like the equivalent of watching Arena League Football.

I'm not trying to disrespect the sport, because it has come a long way and seems to be growing. But when I watch sports, I like to watch the best people who play that sport.

Yes, that can make it tough. But the best players are spread out across 5 leagues anyways, so outside champs league theres always some mediocrity. MzlS is probably 8/9 right now in league talent and getting better players younger. The MLS talent pool is growing and they are getting world class level players who just left their prime instead of 4 years after. They are also selling top tier players to bigger clubs which will attract more young talent

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Uncle Si":m1t8ne2j said:
Hawk-Lock":m1t8ne2j said:

Yes, that can make it tough. But the best players are spread out across 5 leagues anyways, so outside champs league theres always some mediocrity. MzlS is probably 8/9 right now in league talent and getting better players younger. The MLS talent pool is growing and they are getting world class level players who just left their prime instead of 4 years after. They are also selling top tier players to bigger clubs which will attract more young talent

Is there a scenario where MLS can complete with the likes of popular Euro soccer? MLS has come a long way , wonder where people see it in 20 years. My guess is it all comes down to money and how much MLS can pay the athletes.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3hbjzq8k said:
Uncle Si":3hbjzq8k said:
Hawk-Lock":3hbjzq8k said:

Is there a scenario where MLS can complete with the likes of popular Euro soccer? MLS has come a long way , wonder where people see it in 20 years. My guess is it all comes down to money and how much MLS can pay the athletes.

I don't think there will ever be a time MLS will compete with the top leagues, hard to compete when your salary cap is 10M vs the top leagues in the world with 150M+ payrolls.

But MLS can certainly get to the next level where they're competing with the likes of the Mexican Primera for CONCACAF championships and Champions League births.

Which is a great level of attractive soccer to watch, which is what you're talking about.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":bxe5fe9k said:
Uncle Si":bxe5fe9k said:
Hawk-Lock":bxe5fe9k said:

It wont break into top 4... but could it surpass France or the Dutch leagues? Maybe.

Theres talk about cooperation with the Mexican league. Im not a huge fan of that league... it routinely beats up on the mls but thats a different story.

Id like to see a wider cooperative, including the Brazilian and Argentinian leagues.

But really... the biggest takeaway is how absolutely massive the sport is and its growth potential is exceptional. While the nfl is trying to overturn the decline of its sport, soccer is developing on an exponential scale

Latest posts