Practice Squad

vonstout

Reaction score
I saw an article saying we should go after Roy Lopez when he is healthy. He had a minor hammy strain and Houston waived/injured. He started almost every game for the past two years.

bileever

Reaction score
What do you make of the fact that not one of our waived players was signed by another team? We didn't lose anyone, but claimed two off of waivers.

By contrast, the 49ers had 3 players poached off the waiver wire, and didn't claim any.

I mean it's a good thing that we didn't lose any players, but it also says something about our roster depth, or lack therof.

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
Wow! Our practice squad seems like there are players that could start on other teams. There are so many talented players in key positions that could be "in-line" for the Seahawks possible future needs.
I have never felt this way about a "practice squad"...These guys are "BADASS"!!!
But, I am also surprised that there was little interest in our waived players...maybe I am too optimistic.

olyfan63

Reaction score
What do you make of the fact that not one of our waived players was signed by another team? We didn't lose anyone, but claimed two off of waivers.

By contrast, the 49ers had 3 players poached off the waiver wire, and didn't claim any.

I mean it's a good thing that we didn't lose any players, but it also says something about our roster depth, or lack therof.
What I make of it is ...
1) Pete and John look for certain kinds of players that fit into their system, skills and measurables, as well as psychological makeup and attitude, and it's a different mix than other teams look for. Teams may discount Seahawks castoffs for this,
2) Pete and John are FASTER than other teams on UDFA/Cutdown processes;
3) Seahawks may offer monetary incentives to players beyond the minimum to stick around
4) Seahawks PS players know the team will do right by them and sticking with the Carroll/Schneider Hawks is their best career move.
5) The season is young and Seahawks PS players may yet be poached

Edit:
6) The 49ers had a better season than us last year so other teams assume Niners roster is better/deeper all the way past the rostered 53
7) It's possible that players 54-70 from the Niners depth, specifically 54, 55, 56, are indeed slightly better, or at least more appealing, than those # players for the Hawks.
8) PS poaching is usually based on NEED, so, by random chance, best players on Seattle PS don't align right now with pressing needs of other teams
9) It takes a damn long time to watch film on guys and some of our PS guys don't have much film out aside from Preseason this year.
10) PS Players like and prefer the overall Seattle atmosphere, love Coach Carroll and his team and how things are done, compared to other teams

Therefore, I don't think the lack of poaching from Seattle's Practice squad, thus far, says anything compelling about the Seahawks roster depth.

Last edited:

olyfan63

Reaction score
Who do people think would be the most compelling candidates for other teams to poach from our Practice Squad?

My list of who other teams might poach first...
* WR Matt Landers (Measurables, tape, character qualities of persistence)
* C Joey Hunt (Proven NFL experience against anyone not named Aaron Donald)
* CB Artie Burns (Prior NFL experience, tape, and Seattle's CB depth)

kidhawk

Reaction score
So, did Sutherland go on IR?

I don’t know the timing of it but being waived injured means he will automatically revert to IR if he isn’t snagged by another team. The injury designation makes it unlikely (but not impossible).

olyfan63

Reaction score

Additional data point:

There were 25 total waiver claims around the NFL. So less than one player claimed per team.
Overall, less than 3% of waived players were claimed by other teams.

Source:

olyfan63

Reaction score
More on Drake Thomas and why the Seahawks claimed him...
This guy really looks legit. Maybe we'll call him "Young KJ". Or "Young Lofa".
Unbelievable the Raiders thought they could sneak him through waivers with the tape he put out in the preseason.
Wow. He looks like a massive upgrade to Cody Barton.

Last edited:

keasley45

Reaction score

It's known that the 9ers roster is one of the most talented in the league. So it stands to reason that it woukd be harder for a player to find a spot on the 53 even if he's pretty talented.
Other teams would logically pay more attention to their cast offs than they would a team with average talent. - if a player can't Crack the roster of a moderately talented team, they likely aren't going to be worth a look for anyone wanting to compete.

LTH

Reaction score
The practice squad is looking strong I'm surprised that they didn't pick up an extra DT off of waivers for an extra body.

LTH

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
More PS changes today (Thursday 8/31)
https://www.seahawks.com/news/seahawks-sign-three-to-practice-squad
A day after waiving linebacker Jon Rhattigan, the Seahawks brought back the third-year linebacker, signing him to the practice squad. Rhattigan was one of three practice squad signings Thursday along with guard Ben Brown and cornerback Robert Rochell.
Quarterback Holton Ahlers and guard Greg Eiland were released from the practice squad to make room for those additions.

Shaz Magoon

Reaction score
More on Drake Thomas and why the Seahawks claimed him...
This guy really looks legit. Maybe we'll call him "Young KJ". Or "Young Lofa".
Unbelievable the Raiders thought they could sneak him through waivers with the tape he put out in the preseason.
Wow. He looks like a massive upgrade to Cody Barton.

Let's hope, I was high on Drake at NC State so I have pessimistic faith

morgulon1

Reaction score
It's nice to see that lot of the players who were cut decided to come back on PS -
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...sn&cvid=9b94f4f19ec840d09cfeec861501d546&ei=8

I believe everyone on PS was also in training camp with the Seahawks so no outsiders.
I see this as a feather in Seattle's cap.
These PS players would rather get the coaching and experience with this organization with a chance to start down the road either with the Seahawks or elsewhere. If you were the GM of another team , would you rather poach a player off Seattle or Cleveland?

These guys that missed the cut know this is the place to be.

vonstout

Reaction score
Wow! Our practice squad seems like there are players that could start on other teams. There are so many talented players in key positions that could be "in-line" for the Seahawks possible future needs.
I have never felt this way about a "practice squad"...These guys are "BADASS"!!!
But, I am also surprised that there was little interest in our waived players...maybe I am too optimistic.
Then why did they all clear waivers? Every team had the chance to claim any of them.