Pre-Free Agency Mock draft

OP
OP
titan3131

titan3131

Reaction score
I am still coping with losing kearlys random thoughts.

And then the draft forum was just dead... I had to do something man. Something...

cover-2

Reaction score
titan3131":9kelqvle said:
I am still coping with losing kearlys random thoughts.

And then the draft forum was just dead... I had to do something man. Something...

I think a lot has to do with Seahawksdraftblog...English has great and interesting write ups but there a ton a random comments to each of his articles, a lot of meandering subjects per article. I would like if those informative posters would come over here so we could filter prospects and subjects on the draft forum.

purpleneer

Reaction score
firebee":3e60h73r said:
I'm pretty much locked on Tyler Higbee in the 3rd, even if we have to trade up a little for him. If Higbee played for an SEC school or a Big 12 School, he'd be drawing comparisons with Hunter Henry. Watched Higbee play and he can do it all. I think he's more deserving of the Jason Witten comparisons than Hunter Henry is when I compare how they play the game.
I like your whole writeup, but this is what interests me the most. I'm probably at the far end of the opinion spectrum about how much a TE can help the Hawks. Even with Graham returning sometime and what Willson can do, I think it's one of the best ways to help the offense be more consistent and put games away. I just got started watching the TEs and Higbee is pretty exciting, but I think I like the completeness of Bryce Williams a little better. Higbee looked like his blocking is more in need of development and I'm not so eager to not have at least one solid or better blocker. I watched Williams look very solid there against Florida, though I would like to see more of it inline, and was still a pretty big weapon catching the ball. Thoughts on him or any other options?

Willyeye

Reaction score
firebee":1twqay54 said:
Free Agency:
1. I'm not for retaining Okung at 6 million a year. I feel Mitchell Schwartz would be a much much better 5-6 million spent. He hasn't missed a snap in 4 years in Cleveland while starting at RT every game and he's almost 3 years younger than Okung. A lot of talk out of Cleveland claiming he's good enough to start at LT, but he swung to RT because they have Joe Thomas at LT and he has the physical makeup to move inside if we need him to. I'd also like to see us sign Bradley Sowell on the cheap. I'm curious about a guy who started 12 games his rookie season and then rode the bench for the next two seasons because the Cards brought in Veldheer, arguably one of the best LTs in the league.

2. I think you're a little high on Rubin's value. I put him in at around 4-5 million a year, as well as Mebane. Get Mebane on a 3 year deal and Rubin on a 4 year deal with half guaranteed over the first two to three years of their contracts depending on the length. They're proven, they do their jobs and we know what we get with them. I don't like messing around too much with something that already works and ideas involving letting one of these guys go is messing with what already works. Get Mebane and Rubin Back... Draft a guy or sign a guy that can fill in on a rotational basis that can prove they're capable of taking over for Mebane or Rubin.

3. Covered in 2

4. I don't see us spending big on guys like Mario Williams, Long or Hali. Even at their discount, they're still going to be costly players and I don't see them adding any real production over the likes of Avril, Bennett, Clark and Marsh at DE. It's money wasted on a big name that doesn't get your good value on production. I'm looking at John Simon, Tahir Whitehead, possibly even Junior Galette, as more likely candidates to be brought in. Young and hungry guys that have proven they can play at a high level in the NFL and be had at a serious bargain in comparison to a lot of the other guys in FA like Mario, Long, Hali, Irvin and Perry.

5. Renegotiate Bennett, Baldwin and Chancellor, but renegotiate Graham down off the 9 million dollar salary or release him before beginning negotiations with Bennett, Baldwin and Chancellor. Keeping Graham at 9 million dollars is giving these guys a point of reference for their value to the team. If we want to negotiate them to a fair deal, we have to bring Graham down to a fair deal because these guys are not going to sign anything with us that has any one of them making less than Graham. Graham accounted for 2 TDs last year... Bennett and Kam individually accounted for more points than Graham off turnovers. Baldwin... Baldwin should definitely be getting paid more than Graham.

6. No on Martellus Bennett for one reason... Michael Bennett... From my experience, family relations on a team interfere with team cohesion. It's just the way it is. One family member develops personal opinions of a player on the team and the other family member leans towards that personal opinion because they're inclined to side with family. Never mix family and business. I take issue with this in regards to PC having his kid as an assistant coach too, so I'm not being hypocritical. It just seems to be the nature of the relations. Family effects teamwork negatively more often than not.

7. ZACH LINE!!! Outside of Mitchell Schwartz, this is the other guy in free agency that I think would make a huge impact on our offense. Protection, run blocking, rushing, receiving... He's a player that would drastically improve us at FB with a multi-dimensional player that can do everything. What's more? As a FB, we can likely sign him for around 3-4 million a year vs. spending 4-6 million a year on someone like Bennett or a semi-proven deep threat WR that's not as multi-dimensional. Zach Line and Mitchell Schwartz should be our high priority targets in free agency.

The Draft: It's really too hard to say... With the number of quality DTs in the draft, I'd have a hard time pulling the trigger on a DT in the 1st round. Jaylon Smith is really the only player I'd pull the trigger on at #26, otherwise I'd trade down and try to pick up a 3rd or 4th depending on where you trade down to. A lot of people will say Decker, but IMHO, Coleman looks better suited to play LT in the NFL. I just don't see the drop off in talent between Decker and Coleman or a few of the guys projected to go later in the draft, like Fahn Cooper. Cooper actually really impresses me and I think he could be getting overlooked simply because he played RT last year, instead of LT. Nevermind the fact that the best OT in the draft was playing LT opposite of him.

I don't see us drafting a RB until late on the 2nd day or the 3rd day of the draft, unless someone like Kenneth Dixon slides to us in the 3rd or 4th. I don't see Perkins sliding to us in the 4th either. He's projected 2nd or 3rd round. Fackrell could definitely be an option for us in the 2nd round if we miss on Jaylon Smith in the 1st round, but if we hit on Jaylon Smith; I'm thinking we go O-Line in the 2nd. I'm pretty much locked on Tyler Higbee in the 3rd, even if we have to trade up a little for him. If Higbee played for an SEC school or a Big 12 School, he'd be drawing comparisons with Hunter Henry. Watched Higbee play and he can do it all. I think he's more deserving of the Jason Witten comparisons than Hunter Henry is when I compare how they play the game.

Last, but not least... A 7th round pick needs to be reserved for Keith Marshall out of Georgia if he's not taken before then, though I have a very sneaking suspicion that the Rams could target him in the 5th or 6th with a little insight coming from his running mate. I also really like Cajuste... Best run blocking receiver in the draft and the way he pulls away and adjusts for the ball downfield is impressive. I think he'd be the best fit for our receiving corp. Gives us a different dimension to work with and he helps out in the ground game. As for DB, Worley in the 4th if at all possible. Gives us insurance on Lane if he can't stay healthy, possibly even someone that might unseat Lane at RCB.

Schwartz- $6 million
Bradley- $5 million
Rubin- $5 million
Mebane- $5 million
Simon, Whitehead or Galette- $7 million
Line- $4 million
2016 Draft Class- $7 million

Total- $39 million

Including UFA's, RFA's and ERFA's, the Hawks have 31 Free Agents this year. That leaves them with only 22 players returning from last year. Your deals with Baldwin, Kam and Bennett use up any potential cap savings from Graham. $39 million puts you about $10 million over the cap. That leaves you with -$10 million to sign 29 Free Agents. You don't have a punter, a backup QB, most of your Special Teams players, Lane, Kearse, Lewis, etc., etc. Your plan is simply not realistic.

The Hawks will most likely have to let Irvin, Okung, Sweezy, and Mebane walk. The good news is that these 4 players will likely qualify the Hawks for 4 decent Comp Picks in 2017. They will have about $22 million, after their draft class, to pay about 20+ of their own FA's. That would likely include Lane and Kearse, but not necessarily so and only if they sign on the cheap. They will have a little money to sign a few cut players and FA's from other teams, but only if they are REALLY CHEAP. They are going to have to rely on the draft way more than I would have hoped...but it is what it is.

pcbball12

Reaction score
Willyeye":k278ih3n said:
firebee":k278ih3n said:
Free Agency:
1. I'm not for retaining Okung at 6 million a year. I feel Mitchell Schwartz would be a much much better 5-6 million spent. He hasn't missed a snap in 4 years in Cleveland while starting at RT every game and he's almost 3 years younger than Okung. A lot of talk out of Cleveland claiming he's good enough to start at LT, but he swung to RT because they have Joe Thomas at LT and he has the physical makeup to move inside if we need him to. I'd also like to see us sign Bradley Sowell on the cheap. I'm curious about a guy who started 12 games his rookie season and then rode the bench for the next two seasons because the Cards brought in Veldheer, arguably one of the best LTs in the league.

2. I think you're a little high on Rubin's value. I put him in at around 4-5 million a year, as well as Mebane. Get Mebane on a 3 year deal and Rubin on a 4 year deal with half guaranteed over the first two to three years of their contracts depending on the length. They're proven, they do their jobs and we know what we get with them. I don't like messing around too much with something that already works and ideas involving letting one of these guys go is messing with what already works. Get Mebane and Rubin Back... Draft a guy or sign a guy that can fill in on a rotational basis that can prove they're capable of taking over for Mebane or Rubin.

3. Covered in 2

4. I don't see us spending big on guys like Mario Williams, Long or Hali. Even at their discount, they're still going to be costly players and I don't see them adding any real production over the likes of Avril, Bennett, Clark and Marsh at DE. It's money wasted on a big name that doesn't get your good value on production. I'm looking at John Simon, Tahir Whitehead, possibly even Junior Galette, as more likely candidates to be brought in. Young and hungry guys that have proven they can play at a high level in the NFL and be had at a serious bargain in comparison to a lot of the other guys in FA like Mario, Long, Hali, Irvin and Perry.

5. Renegotiate Bennett, Baldwin and Chancellor, but renegotiate Graham down off the 9 million dollar salary or release him before beginning negotiations with Bennett, Baldwin and Chancellor. Keeping Graham at 9 million dollars is giving these guys a point of reference for their value to the team. If we want to negotiate them to a fair deal, we have to bring Graham down to a fair deal because these guys are not going to sign anything with us that has any one of them making less than Graham. Graham accounted for 2 TDs last year... Bennett and Kam individually accounted for more points than Graham off turnovers. Baldwin... Baldwin should definitely be getting paid more than Graham.

6. No on Martellus Bennett for one reason... Michael Bennett... From my experience, family relations on a team interfere with team cohesion. It's just the way it is. One family member develops personal opinions of a player on the team and the other family member leans towards that personal opinion because they're inclined to side with family. Never mix family and business. I take issue with this in regards to PC having his kid as an assistant coach too, so I'm not being hypocritical. It just seems to be the nature of the relations. Family effects teamwork negatively more often than not.

7. ZACH LINE!!! Outside of Mitchell Schwartz, this is the other guy in free agency that I think would make a huge impact on our offense. Protection, run blocking, rushing, receiving... He's a player that would drastically improve us at FB with a multi-dimensional player that can do everything. What's more? As a FB, we can likely sign him for around 3-4 million a year vs. spending 4-6 million a year on someone like Bennett or a semi-proven deep threat WR that's not as multi-dimensional. Zach Line and Mitchell Schwartz should be our high priority targets in free agency.

The Draft: It's really too hard to say... With the number of quality DTs in the draft, I'd have a hard time pulling the trigger on a DT in the 1st round. Jaylon Smith is really the only player I'd pull the trigger on at #26, otherwise I'd trade down and try to pick up a 3rd or 4th depending on where you trade down to. A lot of people will say Decker, but IMHO, Coleman looks better suited to play LT in the NFL. I just don't see the drop off in talent between Decker and Coleman or a few of the guys projected to go later in the draft, like Fahn Cooper. Cooper actually really impresses me and I think he could be getting overlooked simply because he played RT last year, instead of LT. Nevermind the fact that the best OT in the draft was playing LT opposite of him.

I don't see us drafting a RB until late on the 2nd day or the 3rd day of the draft, unless someone like Kenneth Dixon slides to us in the 3rd or 4th. I don't see Perkins sliding to us in the 4th either. He's projected 2nd or 3rd round. Fackrell could definitely be an option for us in the 2nd round if we miss on Jaylon Smith in the 1st round, but if we hit on Jaylon Smith; I'm thinking we go O-Line in the 2nd. I'm pretty much locked on Tyler Higbee in the 3rd, even if we have to trade up a little for him. If Higbee played for an SEC school or a Big 12 School, he'd be drawing comparisons with Hunter Henry. Watched Higbee play and he can do it all. I think he's more deserving of the Jason Witten comparisons than Hunter Henry is when I compare how they play the game.

Last, but not least... A 7th round pick needs to be reserved for Keith Marshall out of Georgia if he's not taken before then, though I have a very sneaking suspicion that the Rams could target him in the 5th or 6th with a little insight coming from his running mate. I also really like Cajuste... Best run blocking receiver in the draft and the way he pulls away and adjusts for the ball downfield is impressive. I think he'd be the best fit for our receiving corp. Gives us a different dimension to work with and he helps out in the ground game. As for DB, Worley in the 4th if at all possible. Gives us insurance on Lane if he can't stay healthy, possibly even someone that might unseat Lane at RCB.

Schwartz- $6 million
Bradley- $5 million
Rubin- $5 million
Mebane- $5 million
Line- $4 million

Total- $39 million

Including UFA's, RFA's and ERFA's, the Hawks have 31 Free Agents this year. That leaves them with only 22 players returning from last year. Your deals with Baldwin, Kam and Bennett use up any potential cap savings from Graham. $39 million puts you about $10 million over the cap. That leaves you with -$10 million to sign 29 Free Agents. You don't have a punter, a backup QB, most of your Special Teams players, Lane, Kearse, Lewis, etc., etc. Your plan is simply not realistic.

The Hawks will most likely have to let Irvin, Okung, Sweezy, and Mebane walk. The good news is that these 4 players will likely qualify the Hawks for 4 decent Comp Picks in 2017. They will have about $22 million, after their draft class, to pay about 20+ of their own FA's. That would likely include Lane and Kearse, but not necessarily so and only if they sign on the cheap. They will have a little money to sign a few cut players and FA's from other teams, but only if they are REALLY CHEAP. They are going to have to rely on the draft way more than I would have hoped...but it is what it is.
I keep seeing you post this about the salary and it is just wrong. There are ways to structure a contract to make the cap hit for this year less than the APY of the whole deal. There are ways to slide money around with upfront money, pro rated bonuses, roster bonuses, etc. It isn't as cut and dry as the way you are making it out to be. It is all about how the contract is structured.

firebee

Reaction score
Willyeye":27o4hop7 said:
firebee":27o4hop7 said:
Free Agency:

3. Covered in 2

Schwartz- $6 million
Bradley- $5 million
Rubin- $5 million
Mebane- $5 million
Line- $4 million

Total- $39 million

Mitchell Schwartz - 6 Million... Same we'd have to pay to keep Okung for a year, except we could sign Schwartz to a 4-5 year contract, which allows us to structure, so we can get him at a 4-5 million dollar cap hit this year. 5 million down on the high end.

Bradley Sowell - Hahahaha... Nobody is going to give more than 2 million a year for Sowell. Sowell is not a starting tackle. He's a depth chart guy stuck behind an all-pro LT that's an interesting prospect at LT, keyword being prospect.. not starter. 5 million on Schwartz and 2 million, on the high end, for Sowell... 7 million spent.

Mebane & Rubin - They'll both account for about 8 million combined, could get that down to as low as counting 6 million towards the cap this year with contract structures, but 7 million seems more likely... Sitting at 14 million spent.

Whitehead, Simon or Galette - One of them... not all of them... 1-2 Million a year to get one of them signed... 7 million a year goes to guys like Hali, Long and Mario Williams. Not guys like Whitehead, Simon and Galette, who's coming off an injury and may not even be an option if he's not healthy. Now we've spent around 15 million, maybe 16 million.

Zach Line - Will likely get a contract in the 4 mil APY, but will likely only count for 3 million against the cap due to structuing. We're at 18-19 million.

Jeremy Lane - We likely get him for around 5 million, but again... Structuring probably gets him to around a 4 million cap hit on the year. We're at 22-23 million spent with all the major pieces on the team in place.

If we don't cut Graham and renegotiate him down, that leaves us with a couple million to throw at some of our depth chart, PS resigns and 6 million for the draft. If we cut Graham outright, we have around an additional 5 million in cap to work with after Bennett, Baldwin and Kam are renegotiated, leaving us around 7-8 million in cap space and 6 million for the draft.

Totally not realistic at all, but hey... let's hear everybody talk about how they think they're going to get Hali, Long or Williams to come play here for less than 6 million a year because that's realistic.

firebee

Reaction score
purpleneer":wbmwko98 said:
firebee":wbmwko98 said:
I'm pretty much locked on Tyler Higbee in the 3rd, even if we have to trade up a little for him. If Higbee played for an SEC school or a Big 12 School, he'd be drawing comparisons with Hunter Henry. Watched Higbee play and he can do it all. I think he's more deserving of the Jason Witten comparisons than Hunter Henry is when I compare how they play the game.
I like your whole writeup, but this is what interests me the most. I'm probably at the far end of the opinion spectrum about how much a TE can help the Hawks. Even with Graham returning sometime and what Willson can do, I think it's one of the best ways to help the offense be more consistent and put games away. I just got started watching the TEs and Higbee is pretty exciting, but I think I like the completeness of Bryce Williams a little better. Higbee looked like his blocking is more in need of development and I'm not so eager to not have at least one solid or better blocker. I watched Williams look very solid there against Florida, though I would like to see more of it inline, and was still a pretty big weapon catching the ball. Thoughts on him or any other options?

Bryce Williams doesn't come off as complete as Higbee to me. He appears to be stronger than Higbee, but he seems to have a harder time picking up blocks in space than Higbee does and he doesn't seem to be as aware of where the ball is in regards to sealing off the defender. Looks lost at times and just kind of sits in space when he's trying to pick up blocks. This might just be a factor because Williams isn't as in tune with the offense at ECU as Higbee is at WKU. Williams was a transfer and Higbee's been at WKU his entire time in college. Higbee can get physically beat on a block, but he attacks his blocks and seems to have a better understanding of which blocks to pick up in order to seal off a defender from the play, as where Williams gets caught looking for his blocks more than attacking a defender and making the block.

With blocking out of the way, their is a huge difference in receiving. Williams doesn't create separation on his routes like Higbee does, he doesn't position his body to beat defenders out for the catch and he doesn't attack the ball like Higbee. Higbee is far superior to Williams when it comes to receiving, but based on what I've seen from the TEs in this draft... Higbee's the best receiving TE in this draft. He's just a natural. He extends to make catches with his hands, doesn't let the ball get into his body, great at using his body to position against defenders for the catch, attacks the ball in the air vs. sitting back and waiting for the ball to get there. Shows a fair amount of speed for a TE to get open down the seams. Higbee's hands down the best receiving TE in this draft in my opinion... Better than Hunter Henry, which is saying a lot.

purpleneer

Reaction score
firebee":1gmu8qlr said:
purpleneer":1gmu8qlr said:
firebee":1gmu8qlr said:

Bryce Williams doesn't come off as complete as Higbee to me. He appears to be stronger than Higbee, but he seems to have a harder time picking up blocks in space than Higbee does and he doesn't seem to be as aware of where the ball is in regards to sealing off the defender. Looks lost at times and just kind of sits in space when he's trying to pick up blocks. This might just be a factor because Williams isn't as in tune with the offense at ECU as Higbee is at WKU. Williams was a transfer and Higbee's been at WKU his entire time in college. Higbee can get physically beat on a block, but he attacks his blocks and seems to have a better understanding of which blocks to pick up in order to seal off a defender from the play, as where Williams gets caught looking for his blocks more than attacking a defender and making the block.

With blocking out of the way, their is a huge difference in receiving. Williams doesn't create separation on his routes like Higbee does, he doesn't position his body to beat defenders out for the catch and he doesn't attack the ball like Higbee. Higbee is far superior to Williams when it comes to receiving, but based on what I've seen from the TEs in this draft... Higbee's the best receiving TE in this draft. He's just a natural. He extends to make catches with his hands, doesn't let the ball get into his body, great at using his body to position against defenders for the catch, attacks the ball in the air vs. sitting back and waiting for the ball to get there. Shows a fair amount of speed for a TE to get open down the seams. Higbee's hands down the best receiving TE in this draft in my opinion... Better than Hunter Henry, which is saying a lot.
I've only watched one game of each, but I got the opposite impression on their blocking. Higbee looked a bit sloppy and didn't show the leverage against Indiana (I rewatched to focus on Latham and was disappointed), while Williams did well against one of the best defenses in the country. Of course my small sample size on each could be a ways from the overall on each.
I'm also afraid that the extra dynamism he shows as a receiver could push Higbee too high. It is way less of a focus for me with Graham and Willson on the roster in the short-term, and I'm not sure the difference is as big as it looks. Higbee had great chemistry with a QB I like quite a bit from my basic unfocused look at that game, while ECUs QB was terrible.
I'm still early in looking though. Have you seen much of Dillon Gordon? I watched one game in which he almost exclusively blocked, but I'm afraid because LSU had Fournette and no QB, that's all I'm going to find. He did look athletic and if he's really about 300 it's a lean 300. He made one play downfield and looked like he might be able to be enough of a pass-catcher to help. Hasn't yet shown as much balance as I want, but he's a tweener who might be available much later than the others. I'm actually okay with a guy who defenses don't fear, as long as it leads to easy first downs.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
One guy who stands out negatively from your draft is Beavers imo. He has horrible technique and was quoted as the worst performing Olineman at the senior bowl. We need a consistent guy there, not another project.

The rest of the draft looks legit although I'd prefer a bigger guy than Rankins. His pass rush upside is nice but he isn't that great against the run. Using a first for a player who we'll only use as competetion for Hill as a 3rd down player seems a bit much. Someone like Butler who has solid pass rush skills and isn't as big of a drop off against the run as Rankins or a guy like Reed who is a stout run defender but provides less interior pressure than Rankins are better choices. Pass rush is important but we shouldn't discard out number 1 run D to accomplish it. This is of course taking into account that I expect Mebane to be cut.

That said Mebane is regressing and his salary is way too big for his production. He already said he won't take a pay cut so that looks like the end for him.

I am in favor of resigning Rubin but 6APY is too much. We should be able to retain him at 3-4 mil a year.

Retaining Okung is a possibility but with his injury history I feel like we might be better off by letting him go and signing a cheaper vet instead.

Bennett and Baldwin getting a raise should be a no brainer with the way they played last year.

No to getting a big name pass rusher. We're not in a position where we can afford a rotaional player for 6+ mil.

firebee

Reaction score
purpleneer":1j75a5fb said:
I've only watched one game of each, but I got the opposite impression on their blocking. Higbee looked a bit sloppy and didn't show the leverage against Indiana (I rewatched to focus on Latham and was disappointed), while Williams did well against one of the best defenses in the country. Of course my small sample size on each could be a ways from the overall on each.
I'm also afraid that the extra dynamism he shows as a receiver could push Higbee too high. It is way less of a focus for me with Graham and Willson on the roster in the short-term, and I'm not sure the difference is as big as it looks. Higbee had great chemistry with a QB I like quite a bit from my basic unfocused look at that game, while ECUs QB was terrible.
I'm still early in looking though. Have you seen much of Dillon Gordon? I watched one game in which he almost exclusively blocked, but I'm afraid because LSU had Fournette and no QB, that's all I'm going to find. He did look athletic and if he's really about 300 it's a lean 300. He made one play downfield and looked like he might be able to be enough of a pass-catcher to help. Hasn't yet shown as much balance as I want, but he's a tweener who might be available much later than the others. I'm actually okay with a guy who defenses don't fear, as long as it leads to easy first downs.

The thing is... I'm looking for a replacement for Graham, not someone who might offset Graham with run blocking. What's the possibility that Graham's not healthy enough to be the factor he's been in the past or not healthy enough to play? On top of that... What's the likeliness we resign him after his contract is up? If Graham stayed healthy and produced a little more than he did last year, I'd be more comfortable with taking a blocking TE that would compliment Graham and Willson. Under the circumstances, I'm looking for a TE that can compete with Graham and Willson for the start. I'm looking for a TE that could make Graham expendable by the end of this next season. I don't like the idea of relying on Graham to come back healthy and ready to play, especially when he only has 2 years left on his contract at 9 and 10 million a year.

Just no on Dillon Gordon... He's a pure blocking TE with no real receiving ability and even when I look at his blocking... He doesn't play to his size and strength. He holds up at the point of attack, but he doesn't show any drive to get movement as a run blocker. At best, he'd be a checkdown dump off guy as a receiving option. He's not a threat as an intermediate to deep threat and I haven't seen him do anything to suggest he might be a good redzone target. Not really a leaper that can outbattle for the jump ball and he doesn't use position well to shield the ball from defenders. Honestly, I kind of see him being a better option as a pure pass blocking OT in the NFL than I see him as a TE, but I also have some concerns with him in regards to durability. Seems like he's out with some kind of injury by the end of the 1st quarter on the games I've seen him in. Then add that he got stabbed within the last month or so in a bar fight and I'm really trying to avoid him... I don't mind red flags, but red flags this close to the NFL draft don't bode well for a player's decision making off the field.

firebee

Reaction score
Overseasfan":1pdheon2 said:
One guy who stands out negatively from your draft is Beavers imo. He has horrible technique and was quoted as the worst performing Olineman at the senior bowl. We need a consistent guy there, not another project.

The rest of the draft looks legit although I'd prefer a bigger guy than Rankins. His pass rush upside is nice but he isn't that great against the run. Using a first for a player who we'll only use as competetion for Hill as a 3rd down player seems a bit much. Someone like Butler who has solid pass rush skills and isn't as big of a drop off against the run as Rankins or a guy like Reed who is a stout run defender but provides less interior pressure than Rankins are better choices. Pass rush is important but we shouldn't discard out number 1 run D to accomplish it. This is of course taking into account that I expect Mebane to be cut.

That said Mebane is regressing and his salary is way too big for his production. He already said he won't take a pay cut so that looks like the end for him.

I am in favor of resigning Rubin but 6APY is too much. We should be able to retain him at 3-4 mil a year.

Retaining Okung is a possibility but with his injury history I feel like we might be better off by letting him go and signing a cheaper vet instead.

Bennett and Baldwin getting a raise should be a no brainer with the way they played last year.

No to getting a big name pass rusher. We're not in a position where we can afford a rotaional player for 6+ mil.

Agree on Beavers... Gets his hands outside waaayyy too much and hooks defenders. He's going to get a ton of holding calls in the NFL. He physically looks the part and shows some decent footwork, but his pad level, his use of hands and technique are horrible. I'm actually kind of liking Kenny Clark as an option at DT if we choose to go that route after trading down in the 1st. He has some pass rushing ability and he's pretty stout against the run. As far as two way DTs that can provide some pass rush and be stout against the run, I'm liking Clark and Chris Jones. I don't mind Rankins... I think he's going to be a heck of a player, but I'm not sure if he's the best fit for what we want our DTs to do.

purpleneer

Reaction score
firebee":19003j14 said:
The thing is... I'm looking for a replacement for Graham, not someone who might offset Graham with run blocking. What's the possibility that Graham's not healthy enough to be the factor he's been in the past or not healthy enough to play? On top of that... What's the likeliness we resign him after his contract is up? If Graham stayed healthy and produced a little more than he did last year, I'd be more comfortable with taking a blocking TE that would compliment Graham and Willson. Under the circumstances, I'm looking for a TE that can compete with Graham and Willson for the start. I'm looking for a TE that could make Graham expendable by the end of this next season. I don't like the idea of relying on Graham to come back healthy and ready to play, especially when he only has 2 years left on his contract at 9 and 10 million a year.

Just no on Dillon Gordon... He's a pure blocking TE with no real receiving ability and even when I look at his blocking... He doesn't play to his size and strength. He holds up at the point of attack, but he doesn't show any drive to get movement as a run blocker. At best, he'd be a checkdown dump off guy as a receiving option. He's not a threat as an intermediate to deep threat and I haven't seen him do anything to suggest he might be a good redzone target. Not really a leaper that can outbattle for the jump ball and he doesn't use position well to shield the ball from defenders. Honestly, I kind of see him being a better option as a pure pass blocking OT in the NFL than I see him as a TE, but I also have some concerns with him in regards to durability. Seems like he's out with some kind of injury by the end of the 1st quarter on the games I've seen him in. Then add that he got stabbed within the last month or so in a bar fight and I'm really trying to avoid him... I don't mind red flags, but red flags this close to the NFL draft don't bode well for a player's decision making off the field.
Appreciate the input. I too would love the next truly fearsome weapon, but there's a couple reasons I wouldn't prioritize it as much. The Hawks have Graham and Willson on the roster, so using a spot on the same kind of player now, feels like a luxury when a more complementary TE could have major influence now. Even considering the time JG will miss and risk going forward, being that dynamic as a receiving TE hasn't been vital and I would argue loses value when there isn't a solid blocking TE.
Not having at least one TE who blocks well runs counter to the team's commitment to being a strong running team, particularly considering playaction and even the threat of it. I think much of the league, notably the post-Miller Hawks have forgotten how easy it is to get production from a complete TE without using elite, basketball-style athleticism. Of course it's not like when Bavaro, Novachek, and others were staples of the good offenses, but a Heath Miller, Zach Miller, Witten, even Gary Barnage can still make plays as a pass-catcher and convert third downs. Even red-zone effectiveness doesn't require the dynamism some think. The ability to be either/or is a big reason the Hawks offense has had trouble with consistency, partly because being confident about run/pass really helps a DL.

pcbball12

Reaction score
cover-2":2dpy9hr7 said:
pehawk":2dpy9hr7 said:
Perkins is either going to be great or out of the league. His tape reeks of a guy with either a lot of breaks and flukey dominance or someone so talented it just looks that easy. Definitely worth a round 4 selection.

Perkins = former USC RB Joe McKnight

Both were very good college RB's playmakers, but they both have the body type and finesse playing style of a WR.
I don't think this is a fair comparison at all. I just can't agree with your take on Perkins. The tape and the stats tell a different story.

Came across this on Twitter:
PFF College
‏@PFF_College
UCLA RB Paul Perkins forced 73 missed tackles on 237 carries.

Alabama RB Derrick Henry forced 76 on 395 carries.

I think the finesse label is off. Although he is great laterally and makes a ton of guys miss, he is a much tougher runner than people give him credit for.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
I may be in the minority here but all of the speculation on cap space and what players should be paid - really makes my head hurt. I have enough trouble trying to figure out which players the Seahawks should be considering in FA & the draft. The financial end of the game seems to me to be pretty difficult to comprehend much less predict as to where $ are spent. How many different "estimates" of Seahawks cap space can there be? How many different opinions on what the Seahawks cap will be in the near future? It bothers me when a multi-million annual salary is very often NOT the same as the cap hit from most deals and in fact can be significantly different. How can a lay person possibly keep track of 50/60 player contracts?

firebee

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":1h1v6gov said:
I may be in the minority here but all of the speculation on cap space and what players should be paid - really makes my head hurt. I have enough trouble trying to figure out which players the Seahawks should be considering in FA & the draft. The financial end of the game seems to me to be pretty difficult to comprehend much less predict as to where $ are spent. How many different "estimates" of Seahawks cap space can there be? How many different opinions on what the Seahawks cap will be in the near future? It bothers me when a multi-million annual salary is very often NOT the same as the cap hit from most deals and in fact can be significantly different. How can a lay person possibly keep track of 50/60 player contracts?

You can't realistically project what free agents the team would consider without having some idea on how much a player costs and how much we have to spend. The guys everyone keeps talking about; like Evans, Mack, Cromartie, Forte, Long, Mario Williams, Hali, etc... are extremely unlikely free agent prospects for us to be looking at due to their likely value and our limited amount of cap. Even some of the lesser name starters like Schwartz, Hairston, Massie and Wisniewski could get pushed out of our range. I think we'll be looking for guys that are stuck behind other great players on the depth chart. Lesser knowns that are flying under the radar with some tape on them; guys like Bradley Sowell, Tahir Whitehead and Marcus Cooper.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Rat":1ppyeavl said:
Zero chance Okung would sign a one-year deal, especially one below market value. His position gives him too much leverage to settle for that.

A few in the media feel like he will be on a one year deal. Clayton has said it a few times now. He is going to expect more than people will offer and by the time he is ready to sign and healthy the money he wants will be dried up. To say "zero chance" is completely inaccurate.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
kearly":1romvgob said:
I've read quotes from personnel guys saying that the media makes a lot more out of the senior bowl than front offices do.

And quite often, the players who shine the brightest at the event are not the ones heralded in the media.

Queue the Richard Sherman Senior Bowl tape. Based on that alone he should never have been drafted. Thank god JS know better than to heap everything upon the Senior Bowl performance.

OP
OP
titan3131

titan3131

Reaction score
it was very unlikely that avril and Bennett took the deals we got them on originally. Open your mind instead of being closeminded cam Newton.

McGruff

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":21ff8c7n said:
kearly":21ff8c7n said:
I've read quotes from personnel guys saying that the media makes a lot more out of the senior bowl than front offices do.

And quite often, the players who shine the brightest at the event are not the ones heralded in the media.

Queue the Richard Sherman Senior Bowl tape. Based on that alone he should never have been drafted. Thank god JS know better than to heap everything upon the Senior Bowl performance.

I don't think anyone heaps everything on the Senior Bowl. But it is a part of the evaluation, especially the practices. It can open your eyes to an overlooked prospect. But you always have to keep in mind that the schemes coached at the senior bowl may not allow some players to shine.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
McGruff":3pbd74wy said:
Jazzhawk":3pbd74wy said:
kearly":3pbd74wy said:

I don't think anyone heaps everything on the Senior Bowl. But it is a part of the evaluation, especially the practices. It can open your eyes to an overlooked prospect. But you always have to keep in mind that the schemes coached at the senior bowl may not allow some players to shine.

Of course the Senior Bowl isn't everything. Although if multiple scouts say Beavers was the worst in 1 on 1 drills and got beat by literally everybody then that raises concerns. It doesn't mean he can't grow into a capable player in the NFL but it's a huge gamble and it'll probably take some time before he is good enough to start. We're looking for guys who can start day 1 and I highly doubt Beavers is that guy. I'd prefer someone like Joe Haeg over him, most likely a lower ceiling than Beavers but he looks like someone who can step in day 1 and be at the very least a decent lineman.