Programming Alert: Sherman on the phone with NFL AM

A

Anonymous

Discussing many topics, including Winfield, adderall, and tossing the first pitch for the M's tonite

They repeat the program a few times throughout the morning, so catch him at the half-hour mark.

Enjoy!

Shinigami

Reaction score
Sherman has a mouth that will probably get in him into real trouble one day. Not that I have an overall problem with him, but stirring up an issue that probably would have been left dead isn't helpful.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Shinigami":2kzzlhdq said:
Sherman has a mouth that will probably get in him into real trouble one day. Not that I have an overall problem with him, but stirring up an issue that probably would have been left dead isn't helpful.

"stirring up an issue" should read "making off-the-cuff comments to a newspaper that gets blown out of proportion"

Uncle Si

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":1gdrgrjb said:
Shinigami":1gdrgrjb said:

"stirring up an issue" should read "making off-the-cuff comments to a newspaper that gets blown out of proportion"

its 2013... everything is out of proportion. Wish he could recognize there is no win in this for him.

His choice to speak his mind, but he (we) cant expect any rational responses these days

bellingerga

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":1oatotq6 said:
Shinigami":1oatotq6 said:

EXACTLY. Atleast that's what it looks like from my perspective too.

I mean, these sportswriters love players who will give them some sort of material, so they often print very minor things and try to blow them up into a big deal.

gargantual

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1zz1qagt said:
AbsolutNET":1zz1qagt said:
Shinigami":1zz1qagt said:

its 2013... everything is out of proportion. Wish he could recognize there is no win in this for him.

His choice to speak his mind, but he (we) cant expect any rational responses these days

I was at the point a long time ago that Sherm is incapable of not opening his big trap. Love the guy and like how his banter elevates his game (through necessity to back his mouth up) and how it gets in our opponent's heads, but it's been uncomfortable since it got ugly in that confrontation with Bayless.

Update: It looks like he's trying to backtrack now, or else he was taken out of context: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... s/2074025/

I think Petey has counseled him to try using his brain a little more before opening his yap. Still love the guy.....and can relate to sometimes speaking before you've thought it all the way through. Most of us have done that some time in their lives and wish they'd handled it differently. I certainly have.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The more Sherman talks, the better it is for us.

Originally, his self-promotion was a good thing. It got people to notice him and now he is a household name (at least for the average football fan).

But there is a level of diminishing returns here and eventually playing the character he plays (and I do believe that he has taken a character and run with it, he is an extremely intelligent person but he is also just as extremely emotional. That can be good and bad as we have seen.) starts to be seen less and less as a positive and more and more as a negative.

Which should be just fine for Seahawks fans because those types of perceived warts are the things that drive the price of a player down. There is frankly no way this club could afford to sign him with a Revis type contract when he comes due and so there is a risk of losing him later. But the less bidding for his services, the less the bid gets driven up.

And yes, lots of clubs have issues with bringing in someone that would not play the good soldier.

Still, he might want to ask guys like the former Steelers LB (the one always talking too), that while getting the spotlight can help - it can be used against you later.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
gargantual":atg9u3fv said:
Uncle Si":atg9u3fv said:
AbsolutNET":atg9u3fv said:

I was at the point a long time ago that Sherm is incapable of not opening his big trap. Love the guy and like how his banter elevates his game (through necessity to back his mouth up) and how it gets in our opponent's heads, but it's been uncomfortable since it got ugly in that confrontation with Bayless.

Update: It looks like he's trying to backtrack now, or else he was taken out of context: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... s/2074025/

I think Petey has counseled him to try using his brain a little more before opening his yap. Still love the guy.....and can relate to sometimes speaking before you've thought it all the way through. Most of us have done that some time in their lives and wish they'd handled it differently. I certainly have.

If you read the transcript of the dialog between Sherman and the reporter, you'll see why Sherman is saying that he was taken out of context. The Vancouver Sun provided the transcript:

Vancouver Sun reporter":atg9u3fv said:
Mike Beamish, Vancouver Sun: “Let me ask you about the suspension you were handed, and you appealed it. Have you left that behind? Do people ask you about that? Do you have to explain it a lot?”

Sherman: “Not really. It was what it was. I think the league made a mistake. Obviously, they cleaned up their mistake by repealing . . . repealing? . . . taking it away. That’s what it was to me. Obviously, I didn’t do anything. But you have to go through the process to prove you didn’t do anything. Once the process played itself out, it ended up being true.”

Beamish: “There are players who actually have to take Adderall, because people have ADD and ADHD.”

Sherman: “There’s about half the league that takes it, and the league has to allow it.”

Beamish: “It’s like you have a prescription, if you’re a diabetic.”

Sherman: “Exactly.”

Beamish: “So, are you on any medication that way?”

Sherman: “I’m not. But there are players that took it. We all got tested on the same day. There was kind of a little mix-up with that.”

Beamish: “So, it’s not like you’re flying around all the time and you have to take it in the morning. Did it embarrass you? You seem like a
guy who’s good with people. You’re very good with public relations. Even though you were absolved of it, it still kind of hangs with you. Does it bother you that way?”

Sherman: “Not at all. In the NFL, you always have people who don’t like you for any given reason. If you do anything well . . . If you’re the president, if you’re anybody of importance or with any kind of fame or notoriety, there are going to be a lot of people who don’t like what you do, who don’t support you. And you have to embrace it. You have to almost accept that there’s going to be naysayers for everything. If everybody says ‘I love you’ you’re probably not doing much.”

So while Sherman DID use the word "half," it doesn't read like he is saying "I know that 50% of the players in the league take Adderall." It reads like he is saying that its usage is common.

And hey, look at that... it's not like Sherman went up to this guy and said, "Hey, I want to talk about Adderall and stuff again! Please turn on your recorder so we can dredge this subject up once more!"

ivotuk

Reaction score
I love Sherman's attitude but wish he would tone it down a little. He's smart enough though to learn how to become the manipulator and not the "manipulatee" as time goes on.

Sometimes he pisses me off in the "heat of the moment" but afterwards I enjoy replaying his antics. Case in point, during a game he made an interception then looked like he was 'rocking the baby,' the ref threw a flag and Sherm, in all his wisdom gave the ref a thumbs up. Being the grumpy old man that I am I got pissed off. Mostly because I fear it will bring an additional flag. But now when I watch it, I laugh because he is so happy during the whole incident and I believe the referee actually might appreciate the thumbs up. I think what is going on is that Richard is telling the referee "good call," I was wrong, you were right. No ranting and raving, calling the referee names are arguing the point, just "thumbs up" "good job ref!"

I remember watching Richard prior and during the combine and something struck me then but I had no idea what a personality he was. At Standford after games the interview would include Andrew Luck and Richard Sherman and they would talk about the game. The fact that is was Richard with Andrew said something right there.

Then at the combine he was performing a drill that didn't turn out too good, Richard turned to the camera and gave this expression of "didn't do to well on that one, I'm much better than that" and for some reason, that really stuck with me. I guess what I learned from that wasn't so much about his ability on the field as that he cared a lot about what happens on the field and that he is a very expressive young man.

Kudos to you Richard Sherman, keep on keepin' on! :)

ivotuk

Reaction score
This says it all

Beamish: “There are players who actually have to take Adderall, because people have ADD and ADHD.”

Sherman: “There’s about half the league that takes it, and the league has to allow it.”

About half the league takes it by prescription because they need it.

NOT half the league uses it illegally. Man was that taken out of context... smh

Uncle Si

Reaction score
ivotuk":ns65f5t7 said:
This says it all

About half the league takes it by prescription because they need it.

NOT half the league uses it illegally. Man was that taken out of context... smh

and if you say nothing at all the rest of the world cant misinterpret what you say.

again, if Sherman is going to talk, we all have to be ready for the repercussions, regardless of them being fair.

Also, what did he say about Winfield?

Bakergirl

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1o8j07q2 said:
gargantual":1o8j07q2 said:
Uncle Si":1o8j07q2 said:

If you read the transcript of the dialog between Sherman and the reporter, you'll see why Sherman is saying that he was taken out of context. The Vancouver Sun provided the transcript:

Vancouver Sun reporter":1o8j07q2 said:
Mike Beamish, Vancouver Sun: “Let me ask you about the suspension you were handed, and you appealed it. Have you left that behind? Do people ask you about that? Do you have to explain it a lot?”

Sherman: “Not really. It was what it was. I think the league made a mistake. Obviously, they cleaned up their mistake by repealing . . . repealing? . . . taking it away. That’s what it was to me. Obviously, I didn’t do anything. But you have to go through the process to prove you didn’t do anything. Once the process played itself out, it ended up being true.”

Beamish: “It’s like you have a prescription, if you’re a diabetic.”

Sherman: “Exactly.”

Beamish: “So, are you on any medication that way?”

Sherman: “I’m not. But there are players that took it. We all got tested on the same day. There was kind of a little mix-up with that.”

Beamish: “So, it’s not like you’re flying around all the time and you have to take it in the morning. Did it embarrass you? You seem like a
guy who’s good with people. You’re very good with public relations. Even though you were absolved of it, it still kind of hangs with you. Does it bother you that way?”

Sherman: “Not at all. In the NFL, you always have people who don’t like you for any given reason. If you do anything well . . . If you’re the president, if you’re anybody of importance or with any kind of fame or notoriety, there are going to be a lot of people who don’t like what you do, who don’t support you. And you have to embrace it. You have to almost accept that there’s going to be naysayers for everything. If everybody says ‘I love you’ you’re probably not doing much.”

So while Sherman DID use the word "half," it doesn't read like he is saying "I know that 50% of the players in the league take Adderall." It reads like he is saying that its usage is common.

And hey, look at that... it's not like Sherman went up to this guy and said, "Hey, I want to talk about Adderall and stuff again! Please turn on your recorder so we can dredge this subject up once more!"

Yeah any way you slice it the media twisted the message here. They took the bits and pieces they thought sounded juicy and made Sherman look bad in the process. Jerks.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I do find it interesting that Sherman threw out the 50% Adderall number. If you break down context wise what he meant, it means 50% of Hawks are taking, or have taken Adderall.

Sherman wouldn't say 50% unless his own personal experience with the drug proves that true..........and his own personal experience with Adderall has been nowhere but Seattle.

Stoned Cold

Reaction score
I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume he said something stupid and controversial.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
What I find funny is that the NFL comes out right away to condemn his words as inaccurate, like someone is out there taking what he says as if he's an expert who knows the factual statistics.

I think everyone realizes he was over-exaggerating. The word for it is "hyperbole".

But here comes the NFL - the same NFL who over-reacted to bountygate and wrongfully banned a bunch of guys and put dents in their careers...trying to chastise Sherman for just BSing and trying to paint a picture that "a lot" of people use it.

The league that over-reacts to everything is so quick to single out a guy for hyperbole.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Bakergirl":p6o7p3lr said:
Yeah any way you slice it the media twisted the message here. They took the bits and pieces they thought sounded juicy and made Sherman look bad in the process. Jerks.
My confidence in the fine institution of journalism has been shattered.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Bakergirl":qp1eva2k said:
You bet, and there are plenty of anti-Seahawks fans and media, that thrive on twisting shit around to fit their reasoning to hate on Sherman, or anything Seahawks related.
NINERLIFER is just one that came here on Seahawks.net and used the ruse of caring about keeping peace in the ranks, by pointing to Sherman being an ass for throwing half the players in the NFL to the media dogs.
I'm just one of the 12th man fans that's got your back Sherman.

amill87

Reaction score
Gotta say I'm a little disappointed in the fans that are "tired of his talking". You guys still feel the same way after you saw the conversation not taken out context?

The guy has never really said anything wrong. The worst thing he has done is do what pretty much everyone else wants to do and that is stand up to Skip Bayless.

He is not out getting DUIs or making it rain at strip clubs he just talks a lot, big deal. He is gonna help our team win a championship and he isn't actually hurting anyone with his antics.