Question about rule - touching a referee

ivotuk

Reaction score
He was asking for it all game long and that was the final straw. And he slapped the refs wrist. That and he wouldn't shut up.

253hawk

Reaction score
Intent doesn't matter because if you touch a ref, it's almost always in an aggressive reaction to something. Scam got fined $21K for bumping Boger last year (but not ejected because he didn't have a tantrum afterward.) Act like a damned professional and it's not an issue. Langford was probably okay until he chimped out over the flag and that's what got the ejection (it's still a judgment call by the ref at that point unless he outright assaulted an official.)

cam-bump.gif

sutz

Reaction score
Add the tossing of his helmet. That's another unsportsmanlike there. He had two or three just on himself in a scant two minutes.

I'm just glad it was a Ram that was the sacrificial lamb (pun unintentional ;)) and not a 'Hawk that got ejected.

At least the game settled down after that. I'll agree that both teams were really chippy until the meltdown.

chris98251

Reaction score
The ref ran into his hand and he knew that was unintentional, it was how he pushed his hand down when he was trying to back him off and I am sure some of what he said. The pushing the hand down with aggressive movement was the trigger.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Langford will deserve to lose every penny of the fine that he gets tomorrow for his temper tantrum and his actions hurt his team on the field significantly. That being said, the ejection itself was a terrible call that all of you would be up in arms about if it happened to a Hawk. It was accidental and while Langford's demeanor was "offensive, disrespectful, or unsportsmanlike" the arm contact itself was not.

If simply touching a ref regardless of intent was grounds for ejection then we would see a dozen players ejected each game, including Richard Sherman. After all, Sherman put his arm around an official's shoulders about 30 seconds after Langford was ejected.

Vetamur

Reaction score
It was pretty awesome to see in the stadium.. it was raining flags. The Rams just started self destructing.. it just seemed like the ref was repeating himself "half the distance to the goal line.. half the distance to the goal line..AND another half the distance to the goal line..."

JustTheTip

Reaction score
ivotuk":3f9vskoy said:
He was asking for it all game long and that was the final straw. And he slapped the refs wrist. That and he wouldn't shut up.

I think this is definitely why he got ejected. Flag wasn't even being reach for until he batted the officials arm away and then it was instantaneous. And that being the case, it was definitely earned.

253hawk

Reaction score
AgentDib":2lqj9w4k said:
If simply touching a ref regardless of intent was grounds for ejection then we would see a dozen players ejected each game, including Richard Sherman.

The action drew the flag, not the ejection. Langford's reaction to the flag took care of the rest for a team that was already out of control. And don't take 'intent' so literally. A friendly gesture is okay, gesticulating wildly with uncontrolled emotion is something entirely different -- especially with how the entire defense had been acting all game up to that point.

OP
OP
Hawkman80

Hawkman80

Reaction score
Yeah, his bitching and moaning act reminded me of a 2 year old crybaby who doesn't get their way. ;)

FairWeatherFan

Reaction score
morgulon1":37x28d0m said:
Mitch":37x28d0m said:
The other official called it. Contact was minor and accidental. Terrible call resulting in an ejection. If that would have happened to a SeaHawk, there would have been a riot!

yeah it was undeserved and bs. I felt bad for him

If you replay the video - the flag is thrown after the ref had his hand slapped away moments after his hat got knocked off. The flag was thrown because he smacked the refs hand away.

A very good call.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The Rams' meltdown was epic. They were in self-destruction mode from the get go. They came in with a chip on the shoulder and when they knew that they couldn't just physically outmatch the Seahawks, they went into meltdown mode.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Not even debatable. He deserved to get tossed. If he had hit the ref's head, then realized he was being a fool, they don't throw the flag. But he continues to jaw at the refs and slaps a hand away after the fact. I don't know how anyone can say it was undeserved. If a Seattle player did this, people would be calling for his head. And Pete's for not controlling it.

Seeker

Reaction score
it was the smacking away of the arms at the end that did it for him.

Mitch

Reaction score
After watching the replay repeatedly, the ejection was a good call. At first I thought it was just a reaction to the hat getting knocked off (that was accidental). Put the final straw was him slapping the refs hand down. The line in the sand was drawn there, and the game calmed down.

509hawk

Reaction score
253hawk":37rkn9m8 said:
Intent doesn't matter because if you touch a ref, it's almost always in an aggressive reaction to something. Scam got fined $21K for bumping Boger last year (but not ejected because he didn't have a tantrum afterward.) Act like a damned professional and it's not an issue. Langford was probably okay until he chimped out over the flag and that's what got the ejection (it's still a judgment call by the ref at that point unless he outright assaulted an official.)

cam-bump.gif

easy on the chimp out bro

sw50sw8sw578.gif

BlueThunder

Reaction score
Funny. I've thought about this since XL. Since then, I've always wondered if Walter Jones had grabbed Bill Leavy by the neck and pounded his head flat into a brain pancake, would he have just been ejected and fined, or arrested with a life sentence? Guess we'll never know... damnit...

Oh quit getting your panties in a bunch. This was meant in a Roadrunner/Coyote kinda way! I wish no ill-will towards Bill Leavy... And today, I think the Steelers are as pissed at him as we were. He kept them out of the playoffs! HAAA HAAA Stealers!!!! Feels crappy huh??

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I wonder if the inadvertent hit was what got him ejected, because if you look a couple seconds later, right before the ref throws the flag, he seems to brush the official away with his hands, a lot less noticeable, but very much more deliberate.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
JerHawk81":2196woja said:
Props to the 12s for this one. I was worried there would be flying beer bottles as he exited - but nada. Props.

I too was waiting for that, too many bad memories of seeing Cleveland fans go nuts, among others.

Seattle stayed classy and loud!

253hawk

Reaction score
Some guy in a Kam jersey was giving Langford the bird.