Question for those doubting our Defense.

sam1313

Reaction score
I really gave our D the benefit of the doubt in the first 1/2 against the Bills. They had just got a new offensive coordinator, right? So we had what, 2-3 games worth of film to watch of their new offense? Does anyone else think that played a big role in that first half?

And, while the lack of tape to review made the game difficult, it was much worse because Tyrod was playing very well. He was slippery when scrambling and running, and throwing dimes to receivers catching the ball over the sideline while dragging their tip toes in bounds. Many plays were very hard to defend even if we had seen them on tape previously.

This defense is smart, and the primary reason that they are as good as they are is brain power. Speed has a lot to do with it too, but if our guys couldn't study film we would be in trouble every week.

Unfortunately, the Patriots can morph into just about any type of team at any time so our D will have a really tough job. However, Brady is nowhere near as slippery as Tyrod, and if we can hit him he will have troubles. And, I think we will gets some hits in (at least unless the refs don't forget that holding is still a penalty).

Anyway, no blow out this week, and while we may not win the Hawks will fight hard and push the Patriots to the end of the game.

Peace.

Phoenix

Reaction score
sam1313":1b2sdhdn said:
I really gave our D the benefit of the doubt in the first 1/2 against the Bills. They had just got a new offensive coordinator, right? So we had what, 2-3 games worth of film to watch of their new offense? Does anyone else think that played a big role in that first half?

And, while the lack of tape to review made the game difficult, it was much worse because Tyrod was playing very well. He was slippery when scrambling and running, and throwing dimes to receivers catching the ball over the sideline while dragging their tip toes in bounds. Many plays were very hard to defend even if we had seen them on tape previously.

This defense is smart, and the primary reason that they are as good as they are is brain power. Speed has a lot to do with it too, but if our guys couldn't study film we would be in trouble every week.

Unfortunately, the Patriots can morph into just about any type of team at any time so our D will have a really tough job. However, Brady is nowhere near as slippery as Tyrod, and if we can hit him he will have troubles. And, I think we will gets some hits in (at least unless the refs don't forget that holding is still a penalty).

Anyway, no blow out this week, and while we may not win the Hawks will fight hard and push the Patriots to the end of the game.

Peace.

There are 3 question marks in the post, so choose one:

1. "They had just got a new offensive coordinator, right?"
2. So we had what, 2-3 games worth of film to watch of their new offense?
3. Does anyone else think that played a big role in that first half?

OP
OP
sam1313

sam1313

Reaction score
Thank you Phoenix! I suppose I should have put the questions at the end and/or reiterated them at the end, and I apologize for making a bunch of statements in the middle re my view/hope for the game!

I really am interested in whether anyone else thought the lack of film was a factor though.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Yes I believe it certainly played a roll. They were purposefully confusing our defense with their constantly changing rotations and schemes. Good on them because it worked to perfection.

That's an unusual premise though as most offenses we face have a very set scheme which is much easier to plan for.

No doubt it was a big factor. It doesn't excuse the poor tackling however.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Actually, the biggest problem I had with the defense (aside from giving up too many long 3rd downs) was the way they played Taylor.

Typically those mobile QB's don't hurt us too much. Hell, they practice against Wilson every day; they should be one of the best in the NFL about it. Most of these guys have faced Kaepernick enough to know how to deal with that.

Yet they were continually rushing too far upfield on the edges, surrendering way too much open space and leaving entire portions of the field open to Taylor. Taylor also isn't Wilson: when he starts running towards the LOS, I noticed a good 90% of the time he's pulling that ball down and running with it. He'll pass on the roll out, but when he starts to move forward he doesn't throw it nearly as much.

Unless that was an anomaly for our game, that's something that shows up on tape, and I picked up on it in one half. These guys have higher football IQ's than I do.

Latest posts