Question: on Jones and White

Renohawk

Reaction score
I have not had time to do research. How do they fair against CB's that are physical, and taller. I know none can compare to Sherm and BB, but there must be others that are not the typical 5'11 CB thats fast and don't bump and run. They both have great stats, did well against us last year, but I think Sherm ads another dimension to this game as he was PT last year.

joe in Sea

Reaction score
Well they played against Seattle last year and really had there way. The thing that makes them so tough is you really can't help because they really have 3 number 1 receivers you can take away 1 maybe 2 but not all 3. A good pass rusher will slow them down but don't forget about Rodgers and Douglas either.

And even if Browner and Sherman are have a great day its only takes 1 or 2 big plays to change a game.

As far as Press they'd just put either guy in motion and that takes that away.

Like I said is all about getting after Matt Ryan

ThrowItToJulio

Reaction score
joe in Sea":3jetb3kc said:
Well they played against Seattle last year and really had there way. The thing that makes them so tough is you really can help because they really have 3 number 1 receivers you can take away 1 maybe 2 but not all 3. A good pass rusher will slow them down but don't forget about Rodgers and Douglas either.

And even if Browner and Sherman are have a great day its only takes 1 or 2 big plays to change a game.

This guy nailed it.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Even if you contain the WR's you have to deal with Gonzales so yes the only way to take all of the options out of play is to snuff Ryan.

ThrowItToJulio

Reaction score
Well, if you give White and Jones time to get open, they will get open. I don't care who is covering them.

joe in Sea

Reaction score
Funny thing is there two RB's Turner and Rodgers rushed for 11 TDs and nearly 1200 yards I wouldn't say that's a lack of production there either. Even making it tougher to cover all there receivers.

themunn

Reaction score
joe in Sea":8qumnc2m said:
Well they played against Seattle last year and really had there way. The thing that makes them so tough is you really can help because they really have 3 number 1 receivers you can take away 1 maybe 2 but not all 3. A good pass rusher will slow them down but don't forget about Rodgers and Douglas either.

We played the Falcons in what, week 4 last season? Before Sherman was the starter and while Browner was still adjusting to NFL football (remember 2 weeks prior he allowed 8/8 receptions to Mike Wallace for what, 130 odd yards?

I don't think it's a good game to look at in order to predict future success - at first glance you might think Lynch had a terrible game by his standards (24 yards on 8 carries), but that statline was typical of Lynch in the first half of 2011 (33 yards against SF, 11 yards against Pittsburgh, 24 yards against Cincinatti, 73 yards against Arizona on 18 carries for 3.8 YPC).

I wouldn't say Arizona came up against a pair of corners like ours this season, the closest would probably be Arizona and we know how that went for them - although that said, they get a lot of pressure on the QB which we don't.

There are only really 3 teams which I would say have corners which are similar to ours, Chicago, St Louis and San Francisco, but Atlanta didn't play any of them this year.

Cartire

Reaction score
ThrowItToJulio":l0frhw0w said:
Well, if you give White and Jones time to get open, they will get open. I don't care who is covering them.

This is true for any WR. If you give them enough time, theyll get open.

And last years game does nothing to impress me. Sherman didnt play. And we still racked up crazy points against you guys with Tavaris Jackson.

And we also have new uniforms which our scientifically proven to light up that ass.

ThrowItToJulio

Reaction score
joe in Sea":1ulqb31d said:
Funny thing is there two RB's Turner and Rodgers rushed for 11 TDs and nearly 1200 yards I wouldn't say that's a lack of production there either. Even making it tougher to cover all there receivers.

The run game has been atrocious this year, save for a few instances. Any success they've had has been a result of the passing game. Turner is done. He doesn't have any burst and he doesn't run angry like he used to. Rodgers, on the other hand, has made plays this year.

Most Atlanta fans are beyond tired when it comes to Turner. We are sick of watching the team throw downs away by handing him the ball for one yard gains. It's been hard to watch.

ThrowItToJulio

Reaction score
Cartire":2ykmz3fm said:
ThrowItToJulio":2ykmz3fm said:

This is true for any WR. If you give them enough time, theyll get open.

And last years game does nothing to impress me. Sherman didnt play. And we still racked up crazy points against you guys with Tavaris Jackson.

And we also have new uniforms which our scientifically proven to light up that ass.

Sure, that's true. It's especially true for guys who are as talented as Jones and White.

Last years game doesn't mean anything. You are playing an entirely different team, on both sides of the ball. Yes, I understand the same could be said of the Seahawks.

SoCalSeahawk

Reaction score
joe in Sea":2o8icvx8 said:
Well they played against Seattle last year and really had there way. The thing that makes them so tough is you really can't help because they really have 3 number 1 receivers you can take away 1 maybe 2 but not all 3. A good pass rusher will slow them down but don't forget about Rodgers and Douglas either.

The starting DBs in that game were Trufant, Browner (his 4th NFL game), Bigby and ET. We also had a slow and hobbled David Hawthorne and some guy named Aaron Curry starting at LB. So with the exception of the Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor, Bobby Wagner, KJ Wright and THIS Brandon Browner; yes, Matt Ryan, Roddy White and Julio Jones were able to out duel the great Tavaris Jackson and win by two points. TJack threw two picks that day and managed a whopping 19 minutes TOP.

Dirty Bird

Reaction score
Get pressure up the middle on Ryan and he crumbles. Blitzing won't work, have to get there with 4 or less. Give Ryan time in the pocket and he'll pick you apart.

Cartire

Reaction score
Dirty Bird":59rp1vaq said:
Get pressure up the middle on Ryan and he crumbles. Blitzing won't work, have to get there with 4 or less. Give Ryan time in the pocket and he'll pick you apart.

Seattle has rarely sent 5 or more at the QB all year. Their packages are almost always 4 rush with an occasional FS and MLB blitz that is almost always unblocked.

Dirty Bird

Reaction score
ThrowItToJulio":2eluyatc said:
Dirty Bird":2eluyatc said:
Get pressure up the middle on Ryan and he crumbles.

This is true for just about every QB on earth.
No it isn't. A lot of QB's have good pocket presence and sense to avoid pressure. Go watch some Ben Roethlisberger highlights or Eli Manning spin moves.

Dirty Bird

Reaction score
Cartire":39xb7nr6 said:
Dirty Bird":39xb7nr6 said:

Seattle has rarely sent 5 or more at the QB all year. Their packages are almost always 4 rush with an occasional FS and MLB blitz that is almost always unblocked.
That bodes well for Seattle then. It also bodes well for Atlanta that Chris Clemons won't be playing this game.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Dirty Bird":2tugezig said:
Cartire":2tugezig said:
Dirty Bird":2tugezig said:

That bodes well for Seattle then. It also bodes well for Atlanta that Chris Clemons won't be playing this game.

It really doesn't bode well for them. Bruce Irvin is going to cause problems.....more than Clemons would have. This is a situation where the Clemons injury allowed us to upgrade that position.

ThrowItToJulio

Reaction score
Dirty Bird":9rl0v0rv said:
ThrowItToJulio":9rl0v0rv said:
Dirty Bird":9rl0v0rv said:
Get pressure up the middle on Ryan and he crumbles.

This is true for just about every QB on earth.
No it isn't. A lot of QB's have good pocket presence and sense to avoid pressure. Go watch some Ben Roethlisberger highlights or Eli Manning spin moves.

Yes, it most certainly is true. The only way to stop guys like Brady, Manning or Brees is to put pressure on them from the middle of the line. Sure, guys like Rapelisberger can shed a tackle or two, but, more often than not, if you pressure him up the middle, the play will die or he will make a mistake.

Even guys with quick feet, like the one the Falcons are going to face Sunday, don't handle pressure up the middle well. Why? Multiple reasons. If you get to a quarterback by running through a guard or a center, the QB has to take his eyes away from his targets so he can find an outlet to escape, which results in a broken play. In addition to that, the QB is unaware of what is going on on the edges of the line, making it more difficult for him to navigate inside or outside of the pocket. He may run into his own guy and fumble. He may run into a defensive end that was purposely led to the back of the pocket.

Regardless, you are wrong.

themunn

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":1b71dyfe said:
It really doesn't bode well for them. Bruce Irvin is going to cause problems.....more than Clemons would have. This is a situation where the Clemons injury allowed us to upgrade that position.

I don't know about upgrading the position, Irvin is a better pass-rusher which bodes well for us in this game. But if Atlanta had any semblance of a running game I'd be worried, as Clemons is a great all-round DE

Dirty Bird

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":375stk7v said:
Cartire":375stk7v said:

"It really doesn't bode well for them. Bruce Irvin is going to cause problems.....more than Clemons would have. This is a situation where the Clemons injury allowed us to upgrade that position."[/quote]

7 out of 8 of Irvin's sacks came against horrid O-Lines. Cardinals, Panthers, Packers, Jets (Mark Sanchez holds onto the ball forever). It may not be a downgrade but I don't see it as an upgrade. He won't be causing any problems in the near future.