Question that's bugged me for a while

Chapow

Reaction score
Tusc2000":1j8y11c6 said:
cheese22":1j8y11c6 said:
I’m a believer that Seattle overlooked the importance of the kicking game the last couple years, or thought they had addressed the position with an old, often injured, washed up leg. Every good team has very good to great kickers.

The kicking game has never been a priority for Pete and this dates back to USC. He has always felt you should never be in a position where you have to rely on your kicker to win a game for you, the game should be won well before that.

So he's not going to spend $$$ or give up a decent round draft pick for a kicker. He just wants someone who is consistent on extra points and chip-shot FGs. If they can make 50+ yarders, great, but that's just gravy.

They just signed a Pro Bowl Kicker to a 4 year contact (https://www.seahawks.com/news/seahawks- ... ason-myers) to go along with the first team All Pro/Pro Bowl punter they drafted in the 5th round last year. They also had Stephen Hauschka and Jon Ryan for several years before Hausch had a poor season in 2016 in which he missed 8 kicks of 33 yards or shorter.

All of that appears to contradict the statement that the kicking game has never been a priority for Pete.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Chapow":15saclbx said:
Tusc2000":15saclbx said:
cheese22":15saclbx said:
I’m a believer that Seattle overlooked the importance of the kicking game the last couple years, or thought they had addressed the position with an old, often injured, washed up leg. Every good team has very good to great kickers.

The kicking game has never been a priority for Pete and this dates back to USC. He has always felt you should never be in a position where you have to rely on your kicker to win a game for you, the game should be won well before that.

So he's not going to spend $$$ or give up a decent round draft pick for a kicker. He just wants someone who is consistent on extra points and chip-shot FGs. If they can make 50+ yarders, great, but that's just gravy.

They just signed a Pro Bowl Kicker to a 4 year contact (https://www.seahawks.com/news/seahawks- ... ason-myers) to go along with the first team All Pro/Pro Bowl punter they drafted in the 5th round last year. They also had Stephen Hauschka and Jon Ryan for several years before Hausch had a poor season in 2016 in which he missed 8 kicks of 33 yards or shorter.

All of that appears to contradict the statement that the kicking game has never been a priority for Pete.

And that whole you can't win the game until the fourth quarter mantra seems to go against his thinking that the game should be won well before that.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
ivotuk":17ojg0g3 said:
Aros":17ojg0g3 said:
acer1240":17ojg0g3 said:
John L Williams would like a word with you.

For the win. Annnnnd, check mate.

John L Williams catching the ball out of the backfield just destroyed opposing defenses. Even when they knew it was coming, they couldn't stop him. Man was he fun to watch. He could run block, run the ball, pass block, and was one hell of a receiver.

Probably my favorite player to watch in the mid 80's...Just mauled over people. Humble guy but a wrecking ball on the field.

E42dccca4ebee9c1fa3b0817123ff6ff

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
John L was amazing. He could do it all and was a very good receiver out of the backfield. I specifically remember a long TD run against the Bears way way back that always stuck out to me. Just a solid all around player.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah true, he had such soft hands...Just one of those players who won't where a gold jacket but should.