Quick playoff question

sekiuHAWK

Reaction score
Can anybody explain why San Fran owns the tie- breaker with us if we end up with the same record? From a logical perspective, I think we should own the tie breaker with a better point differential (I know logic means nothing in the nfl - see playoff seeding)... Anyway, I'm not familiar with the tie breaker rules and thought I would ask some educated folks to teach me up ... Thanks in advance!

Sac

Reaction score
If they win on Sunday and we lose, they'll have as better division record than us, which is the first tie breaker.

OP
OP
S

sekiuHAWK

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":1bkjbz3u said:
If they win on Sunday and we lose, they'll have as better division record than us, which is the first tie breaker.

Thanks!

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Isn't it head-to-head which is a 1-1 tie... So I'll go to the next tie breaker which would be division?

Polaris

Reaction score
To answer the OP's question, if San Fran wins out and Seattle loses, they both wind up with 12-4 records. Thus you go to the NFL's two-team division tiebreaks. The first thing on that tiebreak is head-to-head. Seattle and San Fran split, so this tiebreak is indecisive. Since both teams are in the same division, the second tie-break is division record. Seattle would be 3-3 and San Fran would be 4-2.

Result: San Fran wins the Division.

This was known as soon as we failed to defeat the Niners a couple of weeks ago (and one reason I am still upset about that loss). Because dear ol' Goodell backloaded our division games, it means ever since that the only way for San Fran and Seattle to be tied would automatically give the division tiebreak to San Fran.

As a bit of interest, I note that this is almost exactly the situation that applied last year except it was San Fran that was hanging on for dear life to the division crown, and it was Seattle that was going on a five game tear to try to take it away. The scenarios were almost the same too. Just as this year, it's Win and Division for Seattle (that or a San Fran loss), last year it was the reverse. Had San Fran lost to Arizona last year on their final game, Seattle's win vs St Louis would have given Seattle the division and the #2 seed.

mikeak

Reaction score
Every division is backloaded internally now - not everything is a conspiracy against the Seahawks. The change happened a few years ago when some teams were backloaded and others weren't.

Jayburd14

Reaction score
mikeak":2gg4jdy7 said:
Every division is backloaded internally now - not everything is a conspiracy against the Seahawks. The change happened a few years ago when some teams were backloaded and others weren't.
6 of the 8 NFC games this week have Divisional Championship implications.

A

Anonymous

The NFL must be giggling like school-girls over this. I mean the last games of the season deciding so much. The number of games whence teams pull the starters is nil. Attendance will be maxed so the owners and concession vendors have their 10-keys buzzing.

They are all nodding and smiling at each other right now cuz ratings will be strong and advertisers are clambering to get their products into the 4th quarter commercial spots.

Ahhh, the stench of the rich getting richer.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":1bjroey9 said:
The NFL must be giggling like school-girls over this. I mean the last games of the season deciding so much. The number of games whence teams pull the starters is nil. Attendance will be maxed so the owners and concession vendors have their 10-keys buzzing.

They are all nodding and smiling at each other right now cuz ratings will be strong and advertisers are clambering to get their products into the 4th quarter commercial spots.

Kudos to NFL head office and the refs for execution in making this happen. :sarcasm_off: :stirthepot:

A

Anonymous

oregonhawkfan":a8vlm8k4 said:
HoustonHawk82":a8vlm8k4 said:

Kudos to NFL head office and the refs for execution in making this happen. :sarcasm_off: :stirthepot:

Definitely, this was clearly their plan all along... :mrgreen:

BlueTalons

Reaction score
Polaris":j2oaav49 said:
To answer the OP's question, if San Fran wins out and Seattle loses, they both wind up with 12-4 records. Thus you go to the NFL's two-team division tiebreaks. The first thing on that tiebreak is head-to-head. Seattle and San Fran split, so this tiebreak is indecisive. Since both teams are in the same division, the second tie-break is division record. Seattle would be 3-3 and San Fran would be 4-2.

This was known as soon as we failed to defeat the Niners a couple of weeks ago (and one reason I am still upset about that loss). Because dear ol' Goodell backloaded our division games, it means ever since that the only way for San Fran and Seattle to be tied would automatically give the division tiebreak to San Fran.

As a bit of interest, I note that this is almost exactly the situation that applied last year except it was San Fran that was hanging on for dear life to the division crown, and it was Seattle that was going on a five game tear to try to take it away. The scenarios were almost the same too. Just as this year, it's Win and Division for Seattle (that or a San Fran loss), last year it was the reverse. Had San Fran lost to Arizona last year on their final game, Seattle's win vs St Louis would have given Seattle the division and the #2 seed.
Actually...with the tie they had with the Rams, there would have been no tie --- just outright better record.

Polaris

Reaction score
BlueTalons":1bvniwje said:
Polaris":1bvniwje said:

Actually...with the tie they had with the Rams, there would have been no tie --- just outright better record.

What I was referring to was a Seattle tie + San Fran loss last year (or a San Fran tie and a Seattle win). Basically had San Fran and Seattle wound up tied last year, Seattle would have gotten the tie break. The San Fran tie made that really unlikely.

Had San Fran lost instead of tied the Rams at the 'stick in 2012, Seattle would have taken the division last year.