Quinton Dunbar to have season-ending knee surgery

Polk738

Reaction score
Per the FG's news article, I'll guess I'll be the first to say that the WFT definitely won this trade, waste of a 5th rounder- on the bright side we at least got to see the emergence of DJ Reed who I feel has more upside than Dunbar could've probably ever provided, you win some you lose some.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2020/12/23/2 ... oster-news

knownone

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see if we have an interest in re-signing him this offseason. Given his injury history and recent legal issues, he'd come relatively cheap. And with the pending free agency of Griffin, I'm wondering if Seattle would take their chances on a DJ Reed, Tre Flowers, Dunbar CB room instead of breaking the bank on Griffin.

OP
OP
Polk738

Polk738

Reaction score
knownone":2pkn2nzz said:
It will be interesting to see if we have an interest in re-signing him this offseason. Given his injury history and recent legal issues, he'd come relatively cheap. And with the pending free agency of Griffin, I'm wondering if Seattle would take their chances on a DJ Reed, Tre Flowers, Dunbar CB room instead of breaking the bank on Griffin.

I wouldn't be surprised if they let them ALL walk given how much the younger talent in the secondary has performed; Blair, Amadi, Neal, Reed have shown great promise compared to Flowers, Dunbar and Griffin

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Polk738":2uktcxpq said:
Per the FG's news article, I'll guess I'll be the first to say that the WFT definitely won this trade, waste of a 5th rounder- on the bright side we at least got to see the emergence of DJ Reed who I feel has more upside than Dunbar could've probably ever provided, you win some you lose some.

When Dunbar is healthy he’s a good corner. He hasn’t been healthy except the very beginning of the year.
I like or am OK with the other DB’s with the exception of Flowers, who needs to be moved on from IMHO.

OP
OP
Polk738

Polk738

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":vt9dg4qx said:
Polk738":vt9dg4qx said:

When Dunbar is healthy he’s a good corner. He hasn’t been healthy except the very beginning of the year.
I like or am OK with the other DB’s with the exception of Flowers, who needs to be moved on from IMHO.

I will agree with you that WHEN he is healthy he is decent, but he has yet to play a full 16 games in 6 seasons- still not worth it IMO on top of the off field BS drama he brought during the offseason.

knownone

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":25u4jp4k said:
Polk738":25u4jp4k said:

Judging by Dunbar's PFR page, he hasn't been healthy his entire career (31 starts in 6 seasons).

I'm with you. Although, if we could retain Flowers on the cheap, I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him back as a spot starter. However, if the plan were to continue starting him, then I'd have serious reservations.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Glad he's getting it done.

I don't know that only starting 31 games means he was injured during all of those other games. Maybe he just wasn't a starter the first couple of years?

knownone

Reaction score
ivotuk":37jhkawj said:
Glad he's getting it done.

I don't know that only starting 31 games means he was injured during all of those other games. Maybe he just wasn't a starter the first couple of years?
Fair point. I suppose his total starts are not indicative of his injury history, and it looks like he only became a starter in 2018. However, it's worth noting; he will finish his 3rd straight season on IR, having only played 23 out of 48 games during that stretch.

I'm not trying to hate on Dunbar. I'm just not sure I'd be willing to bet on him staying healthy.

Smellyman

Reaction score
He will be way cheaper now to resign. :) Don't mind a 5th on a good gamble in Dunbar, didn't work, move on.

Need more dogs like Reed and Amadi. Secondary will be better next year with Blair coming back too.

rcaido

Reaction score
I was so excited when we got him...Been a disappoint on and off...Let him walk. Maybe someone will sign him to help w/ the comp picks.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
He wasn't that impactful of a player even before he got hurt (unless in his first games he was injured?)

Honestly, we won't miss him.

Maybe for depth but not for any impact on the field.

He has veered between average to terrible, with never really even being close to above average for more than a few fleeting moments.

Maybe that was due to the injury.

But does anyone really want him on the field instead of Reed?

Elemas

Reaction score
Polk738":2ktlxyj0 said:
knownone":2ktlxyj0 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they let them ALL walk given how much the younger talent in the secondary has performed; Blair, Amadi, Neal, Reed have shown great promise compared to Flowers, Dunbar and Griffin

My thoughts exactly.

Dunbar's also 28. Not old, even by NFL standards, but he'll be coming off of surgery. If we keep him, I hope it's for a relatively low amount and we'd likely see him in a reserve role.

With his injury, who knows how much that affected him

getnasty

Reaction score
Dunbar has been the biggest disappointment as far as offseason moves go to me. He was a stud last year, hoping they're albe to keep him on a cheap one year prove it kind of deal.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I like Reed and want to see Blaire come back 100%. Also like Neal. Word in camp this year is that Blaire was the best cover guy on our roster. I think I recall Pete stating that in an interview. I really like Griff as a person, and he's a pretty solid player but seems to me he loses too high a rate at his coverage plays...not a rarity for most of our secondary though. This sure ain't the LOB.

OP
OP
Polk738

Polk738

Reaction score
Appyhawk":19ag5qce said:
I like Reed and want to see Blaire come back 100%. Also like Neal. Word in camp this year is that Blaire was the best cover guy on our roster. I think I recall Pete stating that in an interview. I really like Griff as a person, and he's a pretty solid player but seems to me he loses too high a rate at his coverage plays...not a rarity for most of our secondary though. This sure ain't the LOB.

Griffin has had his games of solid play but I just want to see more, he has the physical talent I just feel his football IQ and technique is a little lacking sometimes, I cringed on one of his pass breakups where he practically flopped all over the receiver an PI wasn't called and he celebrated like he actually accomplished something, like damn..you're in a contract year and THAT is your technique? Meanwhile look at DJ Reed's last INT, that is ALL football IQ and just understanding your assignment, who cares that he's 5' 9"-Griffin needs to work on his technique and get in the film room because not every INT will be gifted to him off a tipped ball.

renofox

Reaction score
RCATES":2wd08y47 said:
Another offseason signing gem by this front office.

When healthy, Dunbar is better than both of the Seahawks starting corners at the time of his signing.

He had been fairly healthy prior to signing with the Seahawks, starting 11,14, 15, 7, 11 games.

Trade/salary costs were quite low - 5th rounder, 3.4m cap hit.

If healthy - great signing.

Not healthy - bad luck.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I was happy with the Dunbar signing but I had higher expectations and he hasn’t met them. We have too many injuries. We need to clear out any employees that deal with these issues and hand out more performance based contracts.