RBs, draft picks, and a rock and a hard place.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Who is this Procise person people keep mentioning? I have seen no evidence that this person even exists. There may be a roster spot taken up by this name but is he even real?

Wartooth

Reaction score
I like what Carson and Davis are doing, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I don't know where Penny having a poor work ethic came from?
I do know he is still learning how to pass protect, having come from a college program that ran the ball a lot!
Give the kid some time to figure something out before ya' start talking about trading him, or how lazy he is!
I still like the pick, and think he's going to be great once he's up to speed.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":33kn0ukp said:
MontanaHawk05":33kn0ukp said:
One injury to a current RB (knock on wood) and the Penny pick is validated. That's why I'm not going to get twisted in a bunch about it.
Can't be validated if he's a bad player.

Good thing that hasn't been decided yet, then, eh?

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":jmzrqj6d said:
Who is this Procise person people keep mentioning? I have seen no evidence that this person even exists. There may be a roster spot taken up by this name but is he even real?

[youtube]aepfYMHr674[/youtube]

rcaido

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2l2hbsby said:
MontanaHawk05":2l2hbsby said:
One injury to a current RB (knock on wood) and the Penny pick is validated. That's why I'm not going to get twisted in a bunch about it.
Can't be validated if he's a bad player. This was also a draft where RBs were considered a strength, even if he ends up okay I think it was a horrible pick -- especially since they passed up a guard that is smashing it right now in Will Hernandez -- a position that was desperately needed.

Yeah wanted Hernandez too...Still i think they did a good job w/ the draft. There were a couple teams that wanted Penny, i think the Patriots were ready to pick him up.

Penny just needs to get to NFL speed. I think he will finally start to get it by week 10.

Fade

Reaction score
Mike Davis could very well be on another team in a season, Prosise will most likely be gone. So Penny by default should be #2.

What I am concerned with Penny is I don't see a guy who wants it bad enough. He seems to be cool with collecting 1st round money, and playing Fortnite.

The Seahawks just have to hope for the best, the pick has already been made. He has time to figure it out still, and be a player down the road.

I liked the pick at the time, he was my back of choice on the board when they were picking. I wanted Will Hernandez, but if they took a runningback I wanted it to be Penny, but damn he has been disappointing so far.

Drafting running backs in the 1st round is a scary proposition. They have to be impactful early, or it is just a bad investment. Unlike Lineman, Receivers, QBs, who take time usually, but can have much longer careers. Runningbacks have a short shelf-life and grow on trees compared to other positions in the NFL. Pile on top of the fact that, teams are throwing more now than ever, and the traditional running game is being de-emphasized with college style runs with receivers, & qbs.

Even the Seahawks lean on a very basic Zone Read play (Russell never keeps) that High School's commonly run that wasn't really utilized in the NFL until 2012 when Shanahan started doing it with RG III.

TLDR - Don't draft a runningback in the 1st unless they are a generational talent, and you are damn sure of this fact.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-frustrated-rashaad-penny-exactly-what-i-want

Here is the latest on Penny. Very telling article that has many angles to view from.
> PC is not happy with his performance so he must try to motivate the talent.
> PC saving him for when the 'injury' comes knocking on the RB position
> PC twisting his shame in wasting a high draft pick on a RB when 2 others drafted later are performing better
> Hiding an injury

" Penny has been stuffed either at or behind the line of scrimmage on 27.6 percent of his attempts -- seventh-worst rate among RBs with at least 10 carries through Week 4. " - I think that says a lot for a first rounder.

lukerguy

Reaction score
You know it's possible they could have added depth in an extremely deep RB class without burning a 1st on a RB who clearly seems to be more in the 6/7th tier.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
2_0_6":14mjmgzv said:
Procise will not fetch anything more than a 7th rounder. If someone offers that you take it without hesitation.

Keep everyone else.
Based upon 29 carries...foolish.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Penny came from a smaller school. So the weight training and the rest might not have been as intense as the NFL right now.

But, he has literally been quoted that one of the things he does often stay up all night playing video games.

Lack of sleep makes it hard to recover from workouts anyway, but lack of focus makes it hard to pick up a position period.

There are multiple articles about the staff being upset that he came into camp overweight and out of shape.

Is it fixable? Sure.

But right now, his processes for maintaining himself physically seem to be behind. That could be work ethic, or it could be a lack of good habits built up that now need to be learned. Either way, we may need him but it does not sound like he is ready.

Penny was my hope as the RB pick. So this is disappointing. But considering the chances we keep giving Procise, Penny warrants a few.

He needs to put the video games down though, get into better shape, and focus on being the kind of football player a #1 draft pick would warrant.

For a run first offense, we cannot afford to have only 2 RBs because both RBs are important in a game and if one goes down, we need another to spell our starter. So we have to have Penny as productive RB.

Seymour

Reaction score
I haven't heard that about Penny playing long hours of video games while obviously munching out in the process. Either way it fits the eye test that he came in in poor shape. If true that really sucks because at this point he seems about as brilliant and dedicated as Christine Michael and Eddie Lacey which isn't good at all.

chrispy

Reaction score
Jamaal Charles just signed with the Jags yesterday. I can't imagine getting any trade value for Procise when there are reasonable vets out there for free. ... maybe a late rounder for a young productive back, but there's too many serviceable backs for free to expect any return value.

I think we have to resign ourselves to upcoming cap difficulties, few draft picks and underperforming recent picks. The answer is hitting on late round picks and getting immediate impact on early rounds in '19. It worked before but hard to replicate. ...certainly haven't been able to come close lately....

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
He never said anything about munching out.

Just that he finds himself staying up all night playing Fortnite regularly (or often, depending on the interview).

Once in an interview before TC, once in an interview after TC.

I am kind of hoping he realized he needs to not do that anymore. (The gaming all night, not the interviews)

lukerguy

Reaction score
I don't mind that they used a 1st on a RB, but if you use a first one a RB, the RB better be something that POPS out at you.

There are so many replacement level RBs available that this pick seems like a waste, even if Penny turns into a good RB in the NFL. Good RBs are a dime a dozen.

Seymour

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2rpnwm37 said:
He never said anything about munching out.

Just that he finds himself staying up all night playing Fortnite regularly (or often, depending on the interview).

Once in an interview before TC, once in an interview after TC.

I am kind of hoping he realized he needs to not do that anymore. (The gaming all night, not the interviews)

Ya, I threw that in because it fits with the mentality and situation. Either way, he sounds committed to something other than working hard which is a real bad sign.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":9n60dzzr said:
Penny came in overweight and with poor work ethic. I generally don't ever think you draft a player with a poor work ethic but here we are. But for a team to try to go run first and pin it all on a RB with a slight injury history and then a journeyman? Not a recipe for success.

It's funny how you just put that out there like its undeniable fact. This forum would be a whole lot less polarizing if people would state their opinions as opinion and not fact. Would it have been too hard to just put "I think" in front of that opening sentence.

Just a pet peeve. People should avoid assuming they know the mind of any human being other than themselves.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Maybe that should be have rephrased.

But let me ask you....you are going into your first day at a new job in a new city for a position of dire need.

What excuses coming into camp overweight and out of shape if it is not work ethic? Many players go to special camps BEFORE they show up to camp in order to be in the best possible shape.

People with a strong work ethic in a physical sport report in shape and ready to produce. People would take the time instead to play video games in 14 hour stretches, probably are not as motivated.

Your pet peeve is noted and if he was injured, it would make sense. But if he was healthy and he reported in the shape being discussed - that is a work ethic issue. People committed to the game shouldn't let themselves get that far out of shape.

Seymour

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":16xltapt said:
Maybe that should be have rephrased.

But let me ask you....you are going into your first day at a new job in a new city for a position of dire need.

What excuses coming into camp overweight and out of shape if it is not work ethic? Many players go to special camps BEFORE they show up to camp in order to be in the best possible shape.

People with a strong work ethic in a physical sport report in shape and ready to produce. People would take the time instead to play video games in 14 hour stretches, probably are not as motivated.

Your pet peeve is noted and if he was injured, it would make sense. But if he was healthy and he reported in the shape being discussed - that is a work ethic issue. People committed to the game shouldn't let themselves get that far out of shape.

I completely agree and do not personally believe you need to rephrase that statement because you stated why you feel that way. The term IMO is inferred by default on most forums without having to write it....pet peeve or not.

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I don't see a lick of sense in caring about what's going on around the league as it pertains to the RB position. We tried pass heavy for about 3 years and it doesn't get this team anywhere. We don't sustain dives, horrible on 3rd down, and are remarkably inconsistent in general on offense. FOR THE SEAHAWKS, the run game is clearly a stabalizer so it is completely illogical to account for other team's offensive philosophies and personnel.