Re-picking the first round of the 2015 NFL draft

shawnsim

Reaction score
chrispy":wjicrki2 said:
...not to take anything away from the Front Office, but I give as much credit to the Always Compete mentality. It doesn't surprise me that earlier picks (that have spent a year preparing for the draft and may consider getting picked early a "win") don't pan out as well as the later round picks that are given an opportunity they may not be allowed elsewhere. Perhaps some of the jewels found in late rounds weren't as much finding the player as allowing the player to compete. Maybe there are a higher % of late round players that can actually be stars but never get the chance because so much is invested in earlier picks. In Seattle an UDFA does compete with an early rounder for playtime. Does that mean the FO found the late round player, or does it mean the team gave them more of a chance? ... probably both...

I like this line of reasoning.
Our late round drafts and UDFA's just seem hungry.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":hzlkz79f said:
pehawk":hzlkz79f said:
Zebulon Dak":hzlkz79f said:
pehawk":hzlkz79f said:
I blew up Scotte and Zeb when we landed TLock...I was excited.

Rawls I thought was JAG though. Dumb.

I liked Rawls in the preseason but we always have a RB I like in the preseason (hell, I liked Rod Smith too), didn't think there was a chance in holy hell we'd drop Michael & Turbin for him. Though I'm sure glad we did.

If anything Smith was more appealing.

Yeah. No.

I thought Smith was pretty good.

Something he said in that video, and what I've been thinking since I posted I thought Spriggs should be the guy at 26, there isn't an offensive lineman worth a first round pick this year.

My new #1, Sheldon Rankins, Vernon Butler, Andrew Billings. We desperately need young talent at DT, and these three, iMHO, are borderline elite.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
austinslater25":2jaj98z5 said:
Well to be fair I broke the news on Lockett before any combination of you goofballs decided it was a good pick.

I also wasn't excited about Rawls even after seeing him in the preseason. I fully admit I was wrong and Cannot wait to see him play this year. Guy is a stud.

So that's why everyone here had Lockett on their mock draft.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
chrispy":3g4hay2s said:
...not to take anything away from the Front Office, but I give as much credit to the Always Compete mentality. It doesn't surprise me that earlier picks (that have spent a year preparing for the draft and may consider getting picked early a "win") don't pan out as well as the later round picks that are given an opportunity they may not be allowed elsewhere. Perhaps some of the jewels found in late rounds weren't as much finding the player as allowing the player to compete. Maybe there are a higher % of late round players that can actually be stars but never get the chance because so much is invested in earlier picks. In Seattle an UDFA does compete with an early rounder for playtime. Does that mean the FO found the late round player, or does it mean the team gave them more of a chance? ... probably both...

This really is an important factor. Knowing that Seattle is one of the most attractive locations for UDFA's gives us a huge leg up on getting the best available. Especially considering we are South Alaska and that is an obstacle we have had to overcome.

You can say not using a draft pick on Rawls, Baldwin, Kearse on and on is a miss but it kind of ignores why every team in the league passed on them. Obviously there were reasons for concern even though the talent may have appeared to be there. Making the same mistake 31 other teams did through 7 rounds of a draft is hardly a reason to be judgmental of a FO. Rather praise should be due for creating one of the most appealing venues to attract those guys.

Latest posts