Reasons I am [still] pumped! (wildcard edition)

byau

Reaction score
First, I found this unpublished press release from November 1st, 2016

Just leaked ... supposed to be published back in November, but it seems someone forgot to send it on (blame the media)

Gotta say, it does explain some things.

November 1, 2016
Seattle, WA

SEAHAWKS NORMAL RUN OF DECEMBER DOMINANCE DELAYED BY FOUR WEEKS, TO RETURN IN JANUARY

Due to unforeseen injuries to our franchise quarterback combined with the slower (and more realistic) progress of the inexperienced offensive line not to mention the unanticipated injury situation at the running back position group ....

We regret to inform you that the Seahawk dominance you are accustomed to seeing in December will be delayed about four weeks.

Fortunately, at the end of the four week delay which we estimate to be the beginning of January, you will see a return to your regularly scheduled programming of "WE WILL CRUSH YOU" dominance including a return to historic brilliance by an injury-free Russell Wilson (we even expect at that time he will no longer need any injury-related accessories during games, e.g. a knee brace)

This means your regularly scheduled mid-season run of "doubt" in October/November will be pushed back to December

And your normal run of historic undefeated dominance in December will be pushed back to January.

Not to mention this also means your expected end-of-season bye week will also be delayed by four weeks.

We apologize for the inconvenience and any confusion, unrest, arguments, name-calling, general anger, extreme anger, and broken furniture this has caused.

Please return your jerseys to their normal battle ready position.

Thank you for your patience

Your Seattle Seahawks

(sorry, just had to get that out of my system ... okie doke moving on)

GOLDEN AGE OF THE SEAHAWKS

In more of a "count your blessings" reason I am pumped, we've been to the playoffs every season of the Russell Wilson era and all but one in the Pete Carroll era.

We have multiple legit hall of fame caliber players.

In a year where 3 of the 4 conference finalists from last year aren't in the playoffs (Panthers, Cardinals, Broncos), and heck two of them have losing records, the Seahawks are still back in it.

And how appropriate that this year it looks like Kenny Easley will make it to the hall of fame, because his name in the headlines makes me remember what the Seahawks were like. They heyday of the 80's. The pain of the 90s. The Holmgren era. And none of that can hold a candle to what is happening right now

This is the Golden Age

NFC 2017: It's anybody's game!

This will be a legit wild west shootout

As opposed to the AFC where there are only two legit contenders (coincidentally the teams that have two legit quarterbacks), the NFC is a shootout. Every team has flaws. Every team has advantages. And every team has a MVP-caliber QB.

Now just to exclude Dallas for a moment here:

Sure some teams are coming in hot (Atlanta, Green Bay, New York a bit also), but excluding Dallas, all the NFC playoff teams have had ups and downs. How else do you explain that they all pretty much have 5 and 6 loss seasons? (Detroit has 7). No better example that each team has flaws and has had some issues.

While we like to moan about the inconsistency in the Seahawks, really no NFC team has been consistent (excluding the Cowboys). You think a team is hot, they stumble. You think a team is down, they go on a hot streak.

Sure, if you base the playoff performance on the very last game or two ONLY (which a lot of us fans tend to do) it's easy to think we have the next three weeks figured out. Me, thinking about it now, I am not sure anything would surprise me the next three weeks.

Adding Dallas back into the mix now, most people are expecting that other shoe to drop. It may, it may not, but if it does, would anyone be surprised? That tells me that even Dallas may not be immune to the ups and downs of this year's NFC.

Slight Advantage: .... Seahawks? Yup, you heard me

With things this close and unpredictable in the NFC, it really will come down to who can play their utmost best for the next three weeks in the heightened energy and speed and "big game"-ness of the playoffs. Where every game is a big game.

And if that's the case, if I were to give an edge to someone, it would be the teams that have over a number of years shown experience and consistency in big game situations, shown consistency over the years that they can play big when things go herky jerky. Teams that come up big even in the most dire of situations.

To me, that means slight advantage to the Packers (Hail Marys like no other), the Seahawks (4 INTs and a 1.5% chance of winning with about 5 minutes left... and they win), and I'd also put the Giants in there (the Eli scramble and helmet catch, beating the unbeaten Goliath). Slight advantage to those teams who have shown they can come up big.

YUP! STILL PUMPED!!

It's playoff time baby!! Let the best team, on any given Sunday, win!

AgentDib

Reaction score
I agree with your thoughts about how unpredictable the NFC looks but I think the AFC is a three horse race. Patriots look to have an easy road into the championship game but Chiefs/Steelers would be a really good matchup next week in KC.

Dallas is really the big question in the NFC due to the questions about their schedule and their dependence on rookies on offense. Of their last six games they had one decisive home win against the Lions, three very narrow wins against the Redskins, Vikings, and Bucs, and then lost to the Giants and the Eagles. They probably do have the best odds due to home field but not by much.

OP
OP
byau

byau

Reaction score
AgentDib":1a4nm622 said:
I agree with your thoughts about how unpredictable the NFC looks but I think the AFC is a three horse race. Patriots look to have an easy road into the championship game but Chiefs/Steelers would be a really good matchup next week in KC.

Dallas is really the big question in the NFC due to the questions about their schedule and their dependence on rookies on offense. Of their last six games they had one decisive home win against the Lions, three very narrow wins against the Redskins, Vikings, and Bucs, and then lost to the Giants and the Eagles. They probably do have the best odds due to home field but not by much.

Haven't paid much attention to the Chiefs lately. Thanks for the heads up!

For the NFC and Dallas, to add to your points:

One thing that is underestimated I think is the change between the playoffs and the regular season. When everything is on the line and when every game is a big game, experience can give an advantage, especially when all else is equal. Which is why I am giving my slight edge to the Packers, Seahawks, and Giants.

Not all else is equal though when it comes to Dallas who has separated from the pack in the regular season - you put up some good points up there, still in the end "You are what your record is" .. they are pretty much a 14-2 team. Just like last year with the Panthers, we were all expecting the shoe to drop but they showed they were dominant in a 15-1 season. And then they came up against a more experienced team (among other things) and the lack of REALLY big game play showed through.

Which is why I don't think I'd be surprised if Dallas went all the way and wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.

From a Seahawks context: if it was all regular season momentum, I'd be less optimistic about the Seahawks. Their experience and that they've proved they can win big games to me is a boost of at least a couple points up.

It'll be fun :)