Reasons why i believe Sherman will take a pay cut.

Timmahawk

Reaction score
You're all delusional about this hometown discount crap...

Sure, no state income tax, but that is only on the games played at home, the other games get taxed at the location they are played at. Let's call it 10% of half your salary. For someone making 10 mil, it's really a difference 500k.

Yes, extending someone on their rookie does move up their payday a year and you might get a discount because of that, but again, it's not the 3-5 mil some of you are talking about.

So what is Sherman worth on the open market? Revis contract is an outlier, so I think on a long term deal we are probably talking 12-14 mil. Can we extend him for less? Sure. But he is the "best cb in the league" and will want to get paid like one, so I'm realistic in thinking we extend him for 11-13 mil a year.

JKent82

Reaction score
He shouldn't. What if his injury last night was a torn MCL ACL and never fully recovered?

I expect he'd stay in the case the Seahawks are close to the top contract, but other than that there's no discount.

I also don't buy him being alienated from other fan bases. Other fans know he's great, they just think he's a blowhard. But when a great player is available most people kinda forget they think the guy's a blowhard and just imagine having a true shutdown corner. Maybe maybe there would be a PR hit among the casual fans who only know him from the rant, but who remembers after the next "big" scandal happens.

There's also his competitive nature to consider which might manifest itself into getting paid more than any other corner ever. There's nothing wrong with that but I doubt we pay it.

It comes down to this with me, it's probably gonna be tough to run a team paying top dollar for Wilson, Sherman, and Earl. Who's the most replaceable of the three? Great QB's are too hard to get, free safeties with Earl's abilities are generational, and Pete's shown he can develop corners for a system that doesn't highlight corners anyways. I really hope he stays but I wouldn't be surprised or hurt by his decision if he went elsewhere.

The Radish

Reaction score
The players have really screwed them selves with the current CBA.

All the rookies below first round get a set amount. So instead of getting a good contract to begin with they have to play 4 years under the rookie deal. (yes teams can negotiate with a player after 3 years) but since the average player only lasts about 4-5 years many have little chance of making big money and what are you going to do after football if you're an average player?

So those players had better take good care of their money now in case they get hurt. Then and only then do they have a chance to make big money. So instead of players getting big money twice, most will only get this one chance to make their futures.

A great deal for the owners by the way. Don't get me wrong, I didn't like it the other way either as to many owners were getting screwed on a player that didn't work out. Perhaps some of you can think of an example where a team gave a a player first round money and he turned out to be a 7 round washout. lol

:les:

dutchman063

Reaction score
if he leaves he leaves....at least we got a superbowl out of the talent we have

SonicHawk

Reaction score
dutchman063":203vw7q9 said:
if he leaves he leaves....at least we got a superbowl out of the talent we have

Yep!

And no one will ever be able to take it away.

Exittium

Reaction score
I think he'll stay, he's at home here, you can tell how comfortable he is, he's got a family with the LOB, and ADB. I think both PC and JS will do what they need to keep him. If that means losing some offense pieces I'm fine with that. PC has made this a defense 1st team. PC and JS are pretty happy with what they have with Wilson, Harvin and Lynch. Don't know but I see our offense getting a make over leaving room for our defense and more importantly the L.O.B. to stay together.

kearly

Reaction score
Seattle will extend Thomas. Then pay Bennett. Then make some sacrifices to free up some space (Rice, etc). Then they'll enter free agency and do their thing. And after they've pretty much done all they can, some time in April we'll hear about a Sherman extension. Or possibly a Sherman trade.

Chancellor signed his extension on April 23rd last year. It was only a week before the draft. Chancellor played nice and actually signed at a bargain price. But had he not played nice and JS determined that things just weren't going to work out, the draft was still there as an option. So I would expect Sherman to sign an extension once all Seattle's business in FA is done, with a deadline before the NFL draft so Seattle has options just in case.

I don't know how much money Sherman wants, but the contract Revis got was incredibly moronic and was handed out by a GM who'd be fired 8 months later. Usually top corners make about $12 million, and Seattle can viably threaten franchise tags since they never need to use one for anybody else. Maybe they craft a contract Nate Burleson style with a bunch of "fake" money at the end that gets restructured later to artificially raise Sherman's average to $16.1 million. But my guess is that he probably signs for around $12 million, and if he demands an honest $16 mil Seattle should consider going the trade route like the Jets did with Revis.

Axx

Reaction score
I wouldn't want to risk making sherm PO'd by using the franchise tag.....

SonicHawk

Reaction score
kearly":25bxxgs1 said:
Seattle will extend Thomas. Then pay Bennett. Then make some sacrifices to free up some space (Rice, etc). Then they'll enter free agency and do their thing. And after they've pretty much done all they can, some time in April we'll hear about a Sherman extension. Or possibly a Sherman trade.

Chancellor signed his extension on April 23rd last year. It was only a week before the draft. Chancellor played nice and actually signed at a bargain price. But had he not played nice and JS determined that things just weren't going to work out, the draft was still there as an option. So I would expect Sherman to sign an extension once all Seattle's business in FA is done, with a deadline before the NFL draft so Seattle has options just in case.

I don't know how much money Sherman wants, but the contract Revis got was incredibly moronic and was handed out by a GM who'd be fired 8 months later. Usually top corners make about $12 million, and Seattle can viably threaten franchise tags since they never need to use one for anybody else. Maybe they craft a contract Nate Burleson style with a bunch of "fake" money at the end that gets restructured later to artificially raise Sherman's average to $16.1 million. But my guess is that he probably signs for around $12 million, and if he demands an honest $16 mil Seattle should consider going the trade route like the Jets did with Revis.

I think Sherman will enter the FA market because he knows someone will pay him way too much. He's not a good CB, he's a great CB and great CBs get paid too much.

The value just won't be there to sign Sherman. I wish they could sign him but you can replace him with a bit of less talent for significantly less money.

Penman96

Reaction score
Sherman still has a year left in his 4 year deal, he's not a FA until after next season in 2015. Unless they trade him he's here next season and it costs us $1.4 million against the cap.

The Seahawks can extend him this spring, probably Thomas gets extended first.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
It is selfish of fans to demand players take a discount. Football players are one hit away from having career ending injuries. We can't ask them to renounce maximizing their value in the free market. Many of these players come from families with no $$$, most of them are the only bread winners and they provide for brothers, sisters, parents, nephews, aunts, ... etc. This is America, folks. Why would anyone give Paul Allen or Roger Godell a discount? We need to love the guys who are here. When they leave and go on to better pasture, we still need to like them, but love those who play for us.
If Dallas wants to pay Sherman $20millions, Sherman should take the money and move to Dallas. No hard feelings. Would be happy for him.
Our team did what lots of teams dream of: Win with a roster full of high performing cheap labor. We didn't even need our biggest money guy until the last game.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Here's the thing; Sherman has been adamant and vocal about one thing: "I'm the best corner in the game." If he doesn't really mean that, he'll leverage his fantastic play and Super Bowl ring for money elsewhere. If he does mean that, and I have to think he does, he'll understand that keeping the dynamic of the Legion of Boom intact in Seattle gives him by far the best shot at tacking on another couple of championships to his resume and proving beyond a doubt he is the best corner in the league. Does he want to be the "best corner" like Revis is the "best corner", or does he want to end up a sure-fire Hall of Fame corner like Deion Sanders, with multiple rings and terrific stats, boosted by the players around him?

The "family" environment here in Seattle doesn't much combat big money, but it does somewhat, and the understanding that every single player that re-signs here gives them the best shot at another ring is a pretty big motivating factor. Once you take a standard fat contract for a marquee player, factor in the Super Bowl odds, the continued success from keeping the team dynamic mostly intact, WA's sales tax advantage, and what not, and you may indeed have a substantial hometown discount to consider. Is it quite a few million dollars a year? Probably not. But we're going to offer him at least somewhat fair market value. We're not going to shortchange one of the key components of the team, an integral, vital player without whom we would not be raising the Lombardi trophy this year. And that fair market value is going to be plus or minus that hometown discount with all those other factors considered.

So how much is all that worth? Two or three million? Once you factor in sales tax, keeping a championship team intact, and playing in an environment that is truly a dream environment to play in, and it probably is. Remember, Sherman has been inundated recently with calls from other players around the league, asking him if playing for Pete Carroll is really that awesome. He knows the score on all sides, and it's a whole lot more than just the money, no matter how short the average player's career is.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
kearly":18vl6y6w said:

I hope the Sherman trade scenario isn't as far fetched as we like to believe. We aren't exactly sitting pretty in draft picks to reload our team and our OL, WR, and DL FA's this year are going to hurt. This is the strength I don't think we can afford to give up on, finding gems in the draft and UDFA to propel us over the top and into a dynasty. Too many high cost vet contracts will not keep us competitive, IMO.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
One thing to pay attention to this offseason is if the NFL expands the playoffs to 14 teams. Reason being, this actually would increase the salary cap around the league.. and every penny counts with the guys we will have to re-sign.

That said I fully expect Thomas and Sherman to get new deals before the draft.

kearly

Reaction score
Two things,

First, Seattle would absolutely franchise Sherman if it came to that in 2015. Of course they would, it would be insanity not to. Unless you think Sherman is worth less than a 3rd round comp pick in a trade. Franchising would be a total no-brainer. Not franchising a mega-star championship caliber pillar of a player and letting him test the market, hmmm... haven't we tried that before? How'd that work out?

Second, Seattle won't have to, because they will almost certainly sign or trade him before that point. The real value of the franchise tag will be as a bargaining tool while hammering out contract numbers. There's no reason to pay Sherman anything more per year than what a couple years of tagging would cost.

themunn

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":2crx7ywj said:
Here are his 2 scenarios

Aim for a big FA contract: 2014 makes $700k, 2015 franchise tag ~$12M 2016 sign a big deal (5 year $80m) makes $16m.

Take the deal the Seahawks can offer. I say something like 5 yr $50m.

It would take him 4 years to come out ahead on option #1 which means he has to stay healthy long enough to get that big contract and hope someone will pay him that. The new CBA really has a lot of rookies in a bind. There is a ton of team control for the younger players.

Can you imagine the number 1 corner in the league taking a 5 year $50m deal?
That's typical range for a "top" corner, but if you are the best, you want to be paid like the best and Sherman is no different. He'll want (and get from us) 70m minimum. And we'll pay it, because of that second scenario there, but you're missing the point.

You say his option is he could take 700k this year, (maybe) be franchise tagged next year, then take a big deal on the free agent market for 5 years?
But that we'd only offer a 5 year contract? Nah, we'd tie him up for 6 or 7 years, offering the amount another team would pay over 5 years over 6 or 7 years.
We could offer him 70m for 6 years isn't as financially crippling as you would think, only fractionally more than 50m for 5 (which I don't think he would take). He gets the big number he deserved, but we get him tied up through 2020. He looks at that number and says (well, I'd get 13m over the next 2 years if I didn't take this contract, so I'd need to get at least 57m over 4 years to get that same value, which is possible, but a stretch - and I'd probably have to do it playing in Buffalo or some other rubbish team because it's the rubbish teams that always have the cap space)

kearly

Reaction score
themunn":353kegqt said:
Can you imagine the number 1 corner in the league taking a 5 year $50m deal?

Yeah but it's 5/50 with him getting paid right now instead of getting paid $500k next season. So it's really the exact same thing as him signing a 4/49.5 contract the next year, except he gets his money a year early while also removing all the risk of him getting injured or suspended and screwed out of a payday in 2014 (which actually happened to Brandon Browner).

When Revis gets cut in the next year or two, a $12.5 average would make Sherman potentially the NFL's top paid corner. It's not too much of a stretch.