Remember week 1 of 2013?

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
This would be a perfect comparison if it wasn't for the crushing injury blow involving Russell Wilson.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
kearly":24wzqoy1 said:
DavidSeven":24wzqoy1 said:
Geez, we almost lost to the Kellen Clemens Rams that year, played tight against the Titans at home and made Mike Glennon look like Aaron Rodgers.

I've found that some people will always nitpick a close victory. It is what it is. There have been 15 NFL games so far. 14 were decided by single digits. Only Cleveland got blown out. This is the NFL.

Do Tom Brady teams shoot themselves in the foot to death 4-5 times a season? I'm not taking the Dolphins lightly, but if Seattle had played an average game today they would have covered.

I think it happens to all teams. The last time New England won the SB (2014), they lost their season opener to MIAMI (heh) by 13, got blown out by Kansas City, and reporters infamously asked Belichick if he would consider benching Tom Brady.

Doubt any team has ever been immune from a bad loss or an ugly win. Maybe the 16-0 Pats, but they didn't close the deal.

Carroll's game-shortening, run-heavy style also just lends itself to close contests.

hawker84

Reaction score
From what I saw it was your typical BS Seattle slow start. Only difference was Russ got hurt early. it looked like we were making some adjustments only to shoot ourselves in the foot time and again. This team for whatever reason cannot stay on schedule, costly penalties, dropped balls, sacks, head scratching play calls? Seems like that last drive RW had a little mobility back on that ankle, and was able to move around and scramble better, which I think was the difference towards the end.

I think had RW not been injured, our offense would have look much better in the 2nd half. I have nothing to support this of course, just going off what we've seen over the last few years. To me it was clear Seattle was the better team, (on both sides of the ball) but shot itself in the foot several times to kill drives. And for the love, why pass on 4th and inches? You have two backs who are more than capable of finding a seam to squeeze through, and you pass? Have we not learned from our mistakes Pete/Bevell?

ivotuk

Reaction score
I thought the OLine did very well considering they were going up against elite defenders in Suh, Mario and Cameron Wake. That Dolphin Defense is no slouch.

And Ryan Tannehill is a damn good QB. Not sure why people keep bad mouthing the guy when all he has known was Joe Philbin and inconsistency at the head coaching position and at wide receiver and running back.

I would put him in the upper half of NFL QBs.

kearly

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":15125so6 said:
I am sorry Kearly, this just isn't true. Seattle pass rush was solid all game, even with 4 man. Did they get pressure every snap? No, but no team does in the NFL. As HN2016 pointed out, Seattle had a hell of a game relative to the rest of the NFl especially.

Because Tannehill held the ball. Don't get me wrong, the pass rush was excellent on blitzes and stunts. But on vanilla rushes it was pretty bad.

kearly

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2g194lz4 said:
I think it happens to all teams. The last time New England won the SB (2014), they lost their season opener to MIAMI (heh) by 13, got blown out by Kansas City, and reporters infamously asked Belichick if he would consider benching Tom Brady.

Doubt any team has ever been immune from a bad loss or an ugly win. Maybe the 16-0 Pats, but they didn't close the deal.

Carroll's game-shortening, run-heavy style also just lends itself to close contests.

I'm not expecting 16 games of perfection. You cite two bad games by the Pats, if Seattle played two bad games every year they'd be 13-3 or 14-2 every season. I'd happily take that.

Seattle struggles with shooting themselves in the foot and they always have with Pete. It just annoys me because you see the talent on this team and you know how good they could be if they got out of their own way at times.

As yesterday's game proved, our QB mitigates this issue to a degree. He can bail us out at times with his miracles. But still, it feels like Seattle struggles to 11 wins when they should be cruising to 13 based on talent and a strong home field advantage.

I don't mind getting beat by the better team. The 2014 Seahawks were better than the 2014 Chargers, but the Chargers stepped up and played an incredible game and deserved to win. I don't mind a loss like that. I just hate it when Seattle loses to a clearly inferior team because they crapped all over themselves. And it seems to be happening increasingly often.

Alexander

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":20xi95ew said:
Are you comparing a dumpsterfire of a Miami team to Carolina, that went to the SB a few years later?

I don't know how good Miami will end up being this year, but I vividly remember the less stats-oriented people not giving Carolina any credit at the start of the 2013 season. And when they lost to the Bills the following week (to start 0-2), that only further convinced the haters that our win in Carolina was a pathetic effort. (Granted, a lot of these people were Niners fans, but still.) Then, lo and behold, Riverboat Ron was born, and now we think about the whole thing in a totally different light.

I don't think Miami is going to turn into Carolina this year, but they could have a good season under a new head coach. And either way, their defensive line is clearly legit, and that's something that always gives us trouble. It's why we keep struggling with the mediocre Rams every year. It's also worth remembering that we very nearly lost at home to the 0-8 Bucs in that Super Bowl year. It's the NFL, weird shit happens, especially in Week 1.

Honestly, if not for the Wilson injury, I would have been very pleased with the victory yesterday. There were, to my eye, more positives than negatives. We just have to hope the injury doesn't prove to be too big of an issue.

dogorama

Reaction score
It's impossible to know if the analogy between yesterday and the first game of 2013 is valid or not until we see how good Miami is this season, but take away that last series and I don't remember another game in the last four years where our offense looked that bad. I'm sure someone will point out another game but six pts until the last three minutes of the game?

The only thing that gives me optimism is that I have seen this team turn it around fast before, let's hope that is the case now.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
I think it is a great sign we won this game.

Let's be honest...we probably lose this one last season. We just couldn't find ways to win.

Without our starting RG up against a very stout Miami D line (PS stop referencing Miami's defensive ranking from 2015...it means NOTHING).

QB gets hurt and it clearly effects him.

2 of our best offensive players (Graham and Rawls) still not quite all the way back.

I will take the W. We have to find ways to win ugly because they count just as much as pretty W's.

In the grand scheme of things, if we lost it would have hurt us for playoff seeding later.

Big W. Carolina and AZ losing makes it even bigger. Everything counts and everything matters.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
dogorama":24w5a0w2 said:
It's impossible to know if the analogy between yesterday and the first game of 2013 is valid or not until we see how good Miami is this season, but take away that last series and I don't remember another game in the last four years where our offense looked that bad. I'm sure someone will point out another game but six pts until the last three minutes of the game?

The only thing that gives me optimism is that I have seen this team turn it around fast before, let's hope that is the case now.
Completely agree but you can't take away that last series, it was just extraordinarily clutch. Baldwin obviously but my game ball goes to RW for proving all over again what he's made of. We are very, very lucky to have him for our QB!

dogorama

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":3h81xr5x said:
dogorama":3h81xr5x said:

The only reason why the offense "looked bad" is because they didn't put points on the board.

Yes, that is correct because you can move the ball all you want but if you cannot convert 1st downs when you need them you aren't really being productive as an offense. I agree that it was typical of "some" games we played against top D's but this was on a whole other level.

Like another poster said, the last drive was a thing of beauty and you have to give them that.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Very similar to the 2013 opener. Not to mention overtime wins over Houston and Tampa Bay.

dogorama

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":36i7sudv said:
They convert more than few third downs, but they were mixed with untimely drops and penalties. Throw in the two turn overs, and like PC says, they never really got a chance to get going. You can see the framework of a good offense, if not great offense, once they an get out of their own way -- like on that last drive.

I want you to be right more than you know.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":1le3bhd6 said:
On the road in Carolina. Another defensive game that had a lot of negatives, but ended in a Hawks victory with a similar score to today's game. And they ended up winning it all that year. I honestly thought Miami was going to come in and stun the hawks, winning by a TD. Glad I was wrong. But for anyone who is thinking about the negatives from today's game, just look back to the Carolina game. It's a long season. The Hawks are currently 1-0 in first place in the NFC West, and the defense looks filthy...for the most part. So just relax. We've seen a near replica of this game, and it turned out to be a great season. Just look forward to next week

Just another similarity I'd like to point out: we scored 12 points in that Carolina game (12-7 final) and scored 12 points in yesterday's opener. Coincidence? I hope not