Report: Carp to the Jets

ErikG803

Reaction score
I've never felt so indifferent to a transaction. I don't dislike Carp by any means, but if he leaves I would feel the same way I would feel as if he stayed, and that is simply... "oh."

LymonHawk

Reaction score
I'd like him to stay for continuity's sake. But let's face it; sometimes he's a beast and sometimes he's invisible.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
They let Giacomini go, spent a 2nd round pick to replace him and the rookie played about as good as Giacomini did but at a much cheaper rate and with a ton more potential.

I could see us spending a 2nd and 4th on OT/OG combo, let the two rookeis battel it out vs Bailey for 1 spot and if they all look really good then we could move Britt to LT and let Okung walk in FA.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Jets still have plenty of room don't they? Let's hope he gets a fatass contract and nets us another high comp pick next year.

vonstout

Reaction score
Wenhawk":20ot8ujg said:
They let Giacomini go, spent a 2nd round pick to replace him and the rookie played about as good as Giacomini did but at a much cheaper rate and with a ton more potential.

I could see us spending a 2nd and 4th on OT/OG combo, let the two rookeis battel it out vs Bailey for 1 spot and if they all look really good then we could move Britt to LT and let Okung walk in FA.

I hope you are kidding about moving Britt to LT. He's a good run blocker, but a below average in pass blocking. He'd get Russ killed on the blind side.

uncle fester

Reaction score
Tons of potential, just couldn't put it together consistently.

On the plus side, stupid penalties should be slightly down this season.

(Should)

Largent80

Reaction score
I'm actually glad he is going. In a contract year that's the best he can play?....Plus, supposedly his G/F was preparing his meals for his run for the money.

Meh.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Unfortunate he could never put it together fully here. Flashed a lot of potential at times, but never consistently. On the plus side, at least he flashed enough to get another team to give him a deal; let's hope it's a big enough deal to land us a decent comp pick. Best of luck to the guy in his new digs.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Carp was never going to get paid here. And as Pe said, with Cowboy retiring, his biggest contribution was going away. Now we have to find a guy who can stop Aaron Donald.

Also, the Jets are trying like hell to build Seattle east.

Largent80

Reaction score
I wonder if he went back to his usual off season food?

If he shows up with that fat ass he might not pass a physical.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2ntmlwlk said:
Carp was never going to get paid here. And as Pe said, with Cowboy retiring, his biggest contribution was going away. Now we have to find a guy who can stop Aaron Donald.

Also, the Jets are trying like hell to build Seattle east.

Are you thinking of the time that Carp pancaked Justin Smith? Because that was Okung

OkungPancakesSmith

HawkMeat

Reaction score
There are some tackles that may ttransition better to NFL guard in the draft. Wouldn't be surprised to see one of the early picks used for OL.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
vonstout":3gdl1c1e said:
I hope you are kidding about moving Britt to LT. He's a good run blocker, but a below average in pass blocking. He'd get Russ killed on the blind side.

Britt was really impressive for a rookie, especially considering he is likely not a natural right side lineman, and considering how heavily he was targeted by defenses on passing downs. Early in the year, he was given a lot of (needed) tight end support, but by the end of the year he demonstrated significant improvement and the Hawks removed the crutch. On his own, he did give up some pressure, but continued to improve throughout the year. People who were dogging on him throughout the season were really shocked at how much we missed him in the NFCCG. He looked fabulous in the final outing.

I suspect he is actually a natural left. In college, he had 24 starts at left tackle and only 6 at right tackle. This would explain some of his struggle in pass pro early in the year, and would help explain why he was so much better in the running game than in pass protection. It also might explain his struggle with holding that outside edge.

Deep into the season, I was still of the opinion that he would likely need to move inside to guard because of his struggle on setting the edge, but I am not so sure now. He never played guard at the college level, and his performance at tackle was admirable for a rookie. I think a full offseason of conditioning and training will help immensely.

This will probably make some heads explode, but I actually think he is our future left tackle in training. Assuming his injuries don't resurface, I could see him taking over for Okung in a year when the big daddy hits free agency. It depends on how Okung holds up this season, and on the money he demands in free agency.

In terms of moving Britt to left guard this year, I would certainly like to watch him and Bailey battle it out. From what I have seen, we don't have any good options after Britt at right tackle so some of this might depend on who we can bring in this offseason. Bailey has performed admirably in both the left tackle and left guard roles and I would have no issue moving him up to start at left guard.

Carpenter is a big loss, but he is the least valuable player on our current offensive line.

-bsd RPA

pehawk

Reaction score
People around here really undervalue Carps brute strength. He matched the Hawks identity.

Agree with Notorious BSD, Britt played well and could supplant Okung.

XOXO

House Ballard

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Tom Cable was pretty clear in his post-draft interview that Britt did not play comfortably at the left tackle position and did some awkward things there.

In his words, it was his 2012 tape at right tackle where he stood out and looked the best.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Blitzer88":29cxne04 said:
Kinda wish we had resigned him. I mean I know he didn't have a great year, but he was serviceable and now we just have another whole we need to fill on an oline that already has a lot of holes in it.

I'm glad we didn't. Per NFLN this morning, Carp's deal is 4 years at 5 mil/year. He's absolutely not worth that, but good for him that he got it. Per PFF, he graded out at -.6 in pass pro last year and -10.3 in run blocking (which surprised me, as I've seen him both whiff and get blown up in pass pro, but only whiff in run blocking). So the Jets paid good money for a below average OG.

Why couldn't I have been born very large and fat ?

rcaido

Reaction score
This is good news...No need to spend money on average to below average players who gets dumb penalties. Just draft someone for replacement for cheaper rate.

Latest posts