Report: Hawks Players Don't Think RW is Black Enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
v1rotv2":2u28v28b said:
If I, a white man, go to a black man and tell him he should act a certain way because he is black that's racism pure and simple. How could this be different?

Because that's not is what is happening.

Think of it this way: You are living in a large family in a large home. You have rules within the family, when you are dealing with business you are representing the family.

Your out-of-town cousin comes to town and instead of hanging out at the dinner table with you, he goes next door to the neighbor and eats with them. You don't hate him for eating at the next door neighbors house, you just wish that he would eat at your house and table.

Of course instead of complaining that your cousin is eating at the other house you should go next door and see what they're eating and share with each other. But unfortunately, for your entire life the neighbors you have dealt with have been telling you you're not good enough to eat at their table, or at least you've heard stories from your uncles that those neighbors have never wanted them there. These neighbors might be different, but you've been told not to deal with them.

Russell Wilson grew up in a different house. Not the neighbors, but a completely different town. He doesn't feel at home at either house.

It's not racism, it's a misunderstanding perpetuated by generations and generations of earned mistrust.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":3amd4nrr said:
People sometimes say Im not white enough. :stirthepot:

This pic of your senior portrait says otherwise mister.

the-whitest-student-photos-of-all-time-please-make-it-stop-1.jpg

HawkWow

Reaction score
SonicHawk":1grybom6 said:
HawkWow":1grybom6 said:
One hurdle in the fight against racism is the PC crowd that is scared to death of the very words black and white. It really is ridiculous. Pussyfooting around such stuff just leads to discomfort. Discomfort leads to misunderstanding and misunderstanding leads to fighting.

I'm white, you're black, I'm glad we got that over with and why was this thought to be a problem in the 1st place?

That's how I've dealt with the situation my entire life. Honesty breeds respect and mutual respect = no racism.

That's nice and all but we're only a generation removed from not even being able to go to school together, I'm glad you're able to get over it so quickly but it doesn't happen that fast everywhere for everyone.

Most of this stems from the black community having an 'us vs them' attitude, a leftover from the racial movement. Build ourselves up, no one can take us down.

How many times has RW tweeted about being pissed about someone being let go? How many times has he assigned blame to another teammate? How many times has he huddled up next to a coach on the sideline and avoided his WR or line?

There are a lot of players who grew up in predominantly black areas, sometimes even poor areas. RW had the benefit of growing up in an upper middle class family. His issues with race were different than other players who grew up in different areas. His approach to things is different than someone who grew up in Compton, like Sherman.

But these kinds of comments are normal for a person like RW. I promise you they have been said by his white friends and his black friends.

It's more than just nice bro, it's a way of life for me. Always has been and always will be. I have traveled to 23 different countries and some, many times apiece. Where ever I go, I refuse to be an outsider. Showing genuine interest and respect for the cultures of others is effectively a bridge. A very important one, imo.

I seem to have a lot of success with other races because I never pretend to be part of theirs. I'm not. Don't care to be and I find such actions disrespectful to their race as well as my own. I am frequently told by others "You're not white, bro(or braddah) " and while appreciating what was meant as a compliment, I immediately remind them...Yes I am. I'm just not your stereotypical white. Loving my race doesn't mean I can't love yours too. We are all just people and that fact will never change, no matter how badly the powers that be want to keep us segregated and hating on each other. Just don't.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
What do you want me to do? Pat you on the back for being how you're supposed to be?

This isn't 'congratulate HawkWow' hour, this is putting this story into perspective and sharing with people how things are, especially to those who aren't black or mixed race.

It would be like me trying to tell Michael Sam how to act in a certain way, it's just not something I can totally understand and I look for those who may have similar experiences to share.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts