Rookie O line man Mark Glowinski is playing this sunday!

olyfan63

Reaction score
hawknation2015":28jy49x4 said:
Some people are ignorantly blaming the OL conversions when it is really just a symptom of the true dilemma: the choice to limit OL resources in favor spending those resources on other areas of the team, i.e. the highest paid secondary in the league, two highly paid LBs, two highly paid DEs, the 2nd highest paid QB in the league, etc.

I think that pretty well nails 90% of it, maybe 99%. Pete knows how to get ROI on defense for draft capital, and believes in his and his staff's ability to coach up players. (I think that confidence is the other 1-10% of it) So we have guys like Ron Parker and TY McGill on D that get picked up and play well for other teams. (Now we seem to be getting good at RBs, witness Rawls and the cut Rod Smith, who's stuck with Dallas)

On top of that, where we pick in the draft, our "proven" OL options are very limited, and we hope and expect to stay towards the back of the draft, right?

Anthony!

Reaction score
olyfan63":2bmhzoyn said:
hawknation2015":2bmhzoyn said:
Some people are ignorantly blaming the OL conversions when it is really just a symptom of the true dilemma: the choice to limit OL resources in favor spending those resources on other areas of the team, i.e. the highest paid secondary in the league, two highly paid LBs, two highly paid DEs, the 2nd highest paid QB in the league, etc.

I think that pretty well nails 90% of it, maybe 99%. Pete knows how to get ROI on defense for draft capital, and believes in his and his staff's ability to coach up players. (I think that confidence is the other 1-10% of it) So we have guys like Ron Parker and TY McGill on D that get picked up and play well for other teams. (Now we seem to be getting good at RBs, witness Rawls and the cut Rod Smith, who's stuck with Dallas)

On top of that, where we pick in the draft, our "proven" OL options are very limited, and we hope and expect to stay towards the back of the draft, right?

The only problem with the whole resources thing at least as it relates to QB is you have had your QB at a bargain for 3 years, and could have done something with the oline and chose not to. You have drafted oline poorly, tried to take dline man and convert them, and done nothing in FA. So this has little to do with resources so much as bad player analysis with regards to the oline, or just out and out apathy towards it

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Anthony!":lhzk9m8d said:
olyfan63":lhzk9m8d said:
hawknation2015":lhzk9m8d said:

The only problem with the whole resources thing at least as it relates to QB is you have had your QB at a bargain for 3 years, and could have done something with the oline and chose not to. You have drafted oline poorly, tried to take dline man and convert them, and done nothing in FA. So this has little to do with resources so much as bad player analysis with regards to the oline, or just out and out apathy towards it

That begs the question, if they had spent major resources on the offensive line, would they have been able to afford signing Wilson to the 2nd highest APY salary in the NFL? Likely not.

There is something called a salary cap, and the front office have pushed it to the limit en route to contending for their 3rd consecutive Super Bowl.

The team drafted only one offensive lineman above the 6th Round in the 2012, 2013, and 2014 drafts. Would the team really be stronger if they drafted offensive linemen in the first three rounds this year instead of taking Tyler Lockett and Frank Clark?

Would the team really be stronger if they signed expensive FA offensive linemen rather than re-signing players like Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman, Bobby Wagner, K.J. Wright, Michael Bennett, Cliff Avril, Doug Baldwin, etc.? I think not.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Anthony!":3t1q80w7 said:

Pete and John have shown us their choices by their actions, but oh, yeah, you're smarter than them? Oh, of course, julst like you seem to think you're the only one who noticed that having RW on the team was like having a 15-20M edge in the salary cap every year?

Last I checked, they have "done something" with the OL. Britt, a 2nd rounder, has been moved from Tackle to Guard, beaten out by converted TE Garry Gilliam. Pete and John decided they were doing just as well getting guys from other team's PS (Breno Giacomini), converting DLinemen (Sweezy), UDFA's (Bailey, Bowie, LJP, Patrick Lewis), as they were doing with their drafts (Moffitt 3rd round, Carpenter 1st round) With Garry Gilliam, now they also take 7th round TE's and turn them into tackles. PC and JS know what they're good at and what they're not.. Time will tell on Sokoli among other experiments.

So if only they'd used draft capital to pick another Moffitt and Carpenter, the OL would be so much better? For sure you could have guided them to the pick who would be the next Walter Jones at #32?

Say whatever you want about them, but Bowie and Bailey have Super Bowl Champion rings. Giacomini and Sweezy too. Carp even. Giacomini and Carpenter actually cashed in during free agency.

Last year, we were one defensive player away from our 2nd consecutive Superb Owl. A DB, to be specific. I think I like Pete and John and Tom's OL plan better than your unspecified plan.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Folks they tried to build a quality o-line via the draft and failed......Carpenter, Moffit, Britt, etc. (though admittedly the jury is still out on Britt the G)

hawknation2015

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":o1tzdvdz said:
Folks they tried to build a quality o-line via the draft and failed......Carpenter, Moffit, Britt, etc. (though admittedly the jury is still out on Britt the G)

I don't know how people could consider Carpenter a "failure." He was a part-time starter for four years, when he wasn't injured, and received a nice 2nd contract with the Jets. I completely agreed with the decision not to re-sign him, because I felt that money was better spent elsewhere, but was he a failure? No.

Moffit, like a lot of 3rd Round picks, flamed out.

Britt has been a success, thus far. He is about to conclude his 2nd season as an every-week starter. He has continued to improve each week, moving from starting RT as a rookie to starting LG just weeks before the start of the season. At this point, I would say he is playing at an even higher level at left guard than Carpenter was in his 2nd year.

The problem with the offensive line is fundamentally about how few draft picks and high-priced free agents there have been over the last four seasons. They didn't add any free agent linemen, except those on the veteran minimum, over the last two years. Britt is the only lineman drafted above the 6th Round from 2012-2014.

This is a great first opportunity for Glowinski to prove his worth to the team as a starter.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Based on having one of the worst O-lines in The Bigs, it doesn't seem to be an argument with a lot of merit.
Exactly.

It might make sense to them on paper, but in practice it isn't working out the way they seem to think it will.

At some point they need to just accept that they are wrong and move on instead of being stubborn and refusing to admit their error.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":fezz4kao said:
Based on having one of the worst O-lines in The Bigs, it doesn't seem to be an argument with a lot of merit.
Exactly.

It might make sense to them on paper, but in practice it isn't working out the way they seem to think it will.

At some point they need to just accept that they are wrong and move on instead of being stubborn and refusing to admit their error.

Sweezy has worked out, as a 7th Round pick, and it's far too early to say that Sokoli won't work out, as a 6th Round pick.

As for the undrafted linemen, if you can get anything of successful contribution out of them, then that is a success.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":1aufmv99 said:

Right. Because refusing to admit their mistakes and move on from them has been the hallmark of this administration. :roll:

Cough Harvin, Cough Williams.

-bsd

bigDhawk

Reaction score
Sweezy got Wally Pipp'd by Glow, imo. The pocket was solid. No whiffs in pass pro. Didn't notice Glow all game. Kiss Sweezy goodbye in FA.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Over time, I believe Glowinski will grow into a more consistent presence than Sweezy. You can see the potential is there for a very good NFL guard.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
He did a good job. Made a key block to keep Russell clean on a 3rd and 11 play. A play that resulted in a 36 yard pass to Tyler Lockett. That play was early in the game too.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
They showed him in the huddle at one point in the 2nd half and dude looked like he was about to have a heart attack. Seemed to play well though.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
He had a couple of whiffs in the running game but overall I thought he played a really good game. Definitely makes losing Sweezy easier to take.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":uvmz41g3 said:
Exactly.

:187734:

Latest posts