Rory defends Lynch, golf media prays he doesn't follow suit

Phteven

Reaction score
If Marshawn is just trolling the media, bravo to him. He's doing an excellent job.

If he's genuinely anxious and uncomfortable speaking to the media, as he appears to be, I don't see any benefit to forcing him to do it, regardless of the CBA and his contractual obligations. Employers make accommodations (formally or informally) all the time for good employees. This is a no brainer where the accommodation regards a job function that is not critical to the job. It's not like he's flaking out on team meetings, getting into trouble with the law, failing to attend medical exams or showing up on Sundays unfit to play the game.

Is there any possibility that ML has an anxiety condition?

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Half-ass journalists are a dime a dozen. Maybe a nickel. The NFL requires players to be available, yes, but a press pass isn't a free pass to be an unoriginal, dull, self-important nuisance.

There are decent writers and reporters out there who work hard to connect the dots that aren't obvious to the casual observer. But I'm so tired of lazy journalists, who seem to be everywhere. Listen to the lack of effort and horrible questions they ask. Much of the time they don't even ask questions; they mention a play or topic, then say, "Talk about that." That's one way to get your soundbite, but it requires zero skill, insight, knowledge, understanding, planning, or preparation.

Imagine a gaggle of morons surrounding you at quitting time every day, thrusting handheld recorders in your face and saying, "So... you came to work today. Talk about that."

drdiags

Reaction score
The bottom line is these guys want an athlete to slip up and say something off script. Or say enough so that the reporter can twist it with his or her interpretation. Look at Florio making bank on any and everything these players say in post game interviews. Or on the local radio. It is dang near stalker behavior, yet it pays off.

These guys are always looking for the scoop but cannot take to the time to do any in depth stuff because of their news cycle. That is why I like to see some of the more detailed stories that come out during the playoffs.

The press can be your friend but can also be one of the biggest bullies if you don't play along. Even if they love you, they cannot wait to write you epitaph. (see P Manning, or any legion that falters over time). Reporters are worse than the town gossip buy yet they remain in demand. The public must like what they provide.

Rat

Reaction score
I watch a lot of pro golf and almost never root for Rory, but I may have to now. Those are some extremely well-composed and articulate answers from him. A lot of athletes let their emotions consume them in those situations.

Meeker

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":33i619hv said:
Half-ass journalists are a dime a dozen. Maybe a nickel. The NFL requires players to be available, yes, but a press pass isn't a free pass to be an unoriginal, dull, self-important nuisance.

There are decent writers and reporters out there who work hard to connect the dots that aren't obvious to the casual observer. But I'm so tired of lazy journalists, who seem to be everywhere. Listen to the lack of effort and horrible questions they ask. Much of the time they don't even ask questions; they mention a play or topic, then say, "Talk about that." That's one way to get your soundbite, but it requires zero skill, insight, knowledge, understanding, planning, or preparation.

Imagine a gaggle of morons surrounding you at quitting time every day, thrusting handheld recorders in your face and saying, "So... you came to work today. Talk about that."

If I was a player, I'd give a Bobby Boucher response to those questions.

Steve2222

Reaction score
I can see where both camps are coming from, both ML and the media. However, I don't care about post game speeches so I don't mind at all if ML is extremely candid in his answers.

Besides, all the media is looking for in their questions is to bate players to say something foolish or controversial to get a headline.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Maulbert":2qrcec0y said:
One thing has become clear to me in this media stink over Lynch: Reporters completely overestimate their actual value to the fans, especially with the advent of social media. The number of arrogant reporters insulting Lynch for his answers has been deplorably high. I hope Lynch rides this all the way to the Super Bowl MVP.

They overestimate what it is they offer, for sure, because we know they offer nothing. If they started asking well crafted questions they would illicit well thought responses we would all love.

Instead they ask generic questions with the occasional bating one. Our athletes have caught on and dont trust it so offer bland responses. noone cares anymore. Lynch is just refusing to be a part of the same cycle.