Rotating OL like the DL

Sac

Reaction score
I don't understand why our guys insist on zone blocking. The size of the guys on our OL? We should have man blocking instead of zone. Less thinking, more running people over.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":2dyijh2n said:
I don't understand why our guys insist on zone blocking. The size of the guys on our OL? We should have man blocking instead of zone. Less thinking, more running people over.

Because their top two offensive coaches (Bevell and Cable) are boneheads. Need to be cute rather than keep it simple and utilize personnel strengths.

Jville

Reaction score
I can live without last years week to week injury driven rotation.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":gieujfo2 said:

It is easier from year to year and with personnel changes from year to year to have a consistent run game with the zone scheme.

I don't think there is less thinking in a man blocking scheme. You have more pulling from the guards, more double teams and the same number of rules on each play, if not more.

I will say that the zone scheme is more about developing a feel for who to block and for how long and that is why it takes longer to get results early in the season.

However, it doesn't bode well that we have spent high picks on RT's and had to convert them to LG's because they can't pass block on the edge.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":7mu3d5sr said:

Because it's what Pete wanted to implement the day he got here. I remember distinctly thinking that we were going to have a lot of work on the OL in 2010 trying to swap out our old man blocking linemen out for ZBS suitable types.

We brought in Alex Gibbs virtually on day one. Let guys go that were possible resign candidates (Rob Sims). This isn't a Bevell/Cable thing. We brought Cable in precisely for his ZBS experience.

We're not the only team to run this scheme. It's a good scheme. I wouldn't expect this OL unit to work well with a man/power scheme. They have almost zero drive power necessary to open holes.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":k9xd5lr5 said:

One could argue that this was a change that happened in the NFL in the late 90's. Due to more talented players being on the defensive line and zone blocking was a way to overcome this discretion with the less talented Olinemen. We do this and it's cheaper. Also, linebackers are collectively better in the NFL since the mid 90's. You'll never see two guards pulling at the same time anymore or a power counter were the backside tackle and guard pull.

Green Bay, Baltimore ( last year), Carolina (this year) seem to be fine with the old school way. Personally I would prefer it as well, like when we had Walt and Hutch ( once in a team lifetime). I defineatley would like to see more money invested into the offensive line.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2k0od0tv said:
SacHawk2.0":2k0od0tv said:

Because it's what Pete wanted to implement the day he got here. I remember distinctly thinking that we were going to have a lot of work on the OL in 2010 trying to swap out our old man blocking linemen out for ZBS suitable types.

We brought in Alex Gibbs virtually on day one. Let guys go that were possible resign candidates (Rob Sims). This isn't a Bevell/Cable thing. We brought Cable in precisely for his ZBS experience.

We're not the only team to run this scheme. It's a good scheme. I wouldn't expect this OL unit to work well with a man/power scheme. They have almost zero drive power necessary to open holes.

You really need to post more. You always bring sound reasoning and logic to the conversation and explain it very well. I skim over some posters )as I'm sure many do me) but there are a few on here when I see the names I pay attention. You are one of those posters.

Thanks for contributing.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":12ma5m7w said:
SacHawk2.0":12ma5m7w said:

Correct, the zone blocking scheme is Carroll's preference. His OL Coach at USC, Pat Ruel, was a disciple of the zone blocking scheme. After Gibbs retirement, Ruel was hired as Assistant OL Coach.

I'm not quite sure why people have a problem with it given the extraordinary success we have had running the ball.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3cntsain said:
Attyla the Hawk":3cntsain said:
SacHawk2.0":3cntsain said:

Correct, the zone blocking scheme is Carroll's preference. His OL Coach at USC, Pat Ruel, was a disciple of the zone blocking scheme. After Gibbs retirement, Ruel was hired as Assistant OL Coach.

I'm not quite sure why people have a problem with it given the extraordinary success we have had running the ball.

Probably because it hasn't helped us really in pass protection since PC has been here. Having Lynch has also helped with our running success and the team didn't really start ramming it down opponents throats until Wilson got here (threat of him running). All in all, zone allows you to go cheap with the Oline. Hopefully your QB can run for their life

hawknation2015

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":1mqk25kd said:
hawknation2015":1mqk25kd said:
Attyla the Hawk":1mqk25kd said:
SacHawk2.0":1mqk25kd said:

Probably because it hasn't helped us really in pass protection since PC has been here. Having Lynch has also helped with our running success and the team didn't really start ramming it down opponents throats until Wilson got here (threat of him running). All in all, zone allows you to go cheap with the Oline. Hopefully your QB can run for their life

The Green Bay Packers, who had the best OL in the NFL in pass pro last season, also run a zone blocking scheme, allowing linemen to pass off on stunting or twisting defenders.

It's not the scheme . . . it's a combination of other factors: the fact that we have not drafted anyone (except Britt) above the 7th Round between 2012-2014; the fact that we have not added any linemen in free agency, except on minimum deals; the fact that Russell Wilson tends to hold the ball longer than any other QB in the league; the fact that Carroll prefers linemen who are strong run blockers, etc.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
@hawknation2015: I'm not totally against the zone scheme and your right that it helps against stunts, etc. I just think we use it to mask a weak line which is so bad now it can not pass block. Green Bay has actually pulled away from the zone rushing since it upgraded its Oline and RBs over the past two years.
http://www.gazettextra.com/20140824/pac ... g_playbook

They pull their guards and center which I find preferable but not achievable with our talent. Either way I would bet that there are serious changes coming in the offseason in regards to the Oline besides drafting.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
hawknation2015":ur4cty43 said:
The Green Bay Packers, who had the best OL in the NFL in pass pro last season, also run a zone blocking scheme, allowing linemen to pass off on stunting or twisting defenders.

It's not the scheme . . . it's a combination of other factors: the fact that we have not drafted anyone (except Britt) above the 7th Round between 2012-2014; the fact that we have not added any linemen in free agency, except on minimum deals; the fact that Russell Wilson tends to hold the ball longer than any other QB in the league; the fact that Carroll prefers linemen who are strong run blockers, etc.

This is where the Seahawks philosophy doesn't make sense to me. I completely understand that PC prefers to invest more of the finances toward defense. What bothers me is the lack of draft resources used on the OL. You'd think they would do that since draftees are slotted into fixed amount based on their draft position. So they know the cost of them. You'd think they would utilize draft better in this regard. Especially since JS comes from GB and GB has a good track record with drafting OL players. Had they done a better job scouting and drafting OL players in 2012 and 2013, this situation may not be as bad as it is now.