Round 1 Offense or Defense ?

Chawker

Reaction score
We all know the Seahawks need the most help on defense, and talent pool will dip after the number 5 pick. But its our number 20th pick that has me wondering, could we select a offensive player with this pick ?

We could select a OL that is very talented here, or a RB, or QB for that matter. We have 5 selections in the top 51, what do you think will be Pete and Johns strategy here ?

Cheers

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Pick 5 - best pass rusher available
Pick 20 - best pass rusher available unless a QB they have really done their homework on falls to them here that they don't think will last til round 2.

I know some people are against using a high pick on a QB and I'm all for starting Geno next season but there needs to be a next guy up and I certainly do not think it's Drew Lock.

12forlife

Reaction score
I have a feeling there will be a run on QB's to start the draft. Leaving Anderson or Carter @ pick #5. @ pick #20 we could easily go OG Torrence, C Shmitz, or WR Addison or Smith-Njigba.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
im going on record right now predicting Jalen Carter will be a bust

WarHawks

Reaction score
I can't see how they could justify taking anything other than DL with our top two picks. We also very much need help at LB. Lots of talented offensive players to choose from in later rounds this year.
Free agency. If they got someone like Daron Payne, they could get a qb if they wanted to.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I have a feeling there will be a run on QB's to start the draft. Leaving Anderson or Carter @ pick #5. @ pick #20 we could easily go OG Torrence, C Shmitz, or WR Addison or Smith-Njigba.
I'm thinking it's more likely there is a run on pass rush / D line but that prob depends on how the superbowl looks. If Mahomes and the chiefs roll, prob QBs, but if the Eagles pass rush shuts them down then that might skew it towards D line.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I'm thinking it's more likely there is a run on pass rush / D line but that prob depends on how the superbowl looks. If Mahomes and the chiefs roll, prob QBs, but if the Eagles pass rush shuts them down then that might skew it towards D line.
Bears will take Carter either at 1, 2, or 4, depending on what trades are possible with Texans and Colts. This will happen unless some team lower offers three first round picks, and I am not sure Poles would even take that trade. Eberflus seems to have a lot of influence, and he is hungry for a 3-tech.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Most likely the Hawks will go DL/DL

The next likely, they go QB/DL... or DL/QB.

The least likely... OFFENSE/OFFENSE.

Chapow

Reaction score
Pick 5 - best pass rusher available
Pick 20 - best pass rusher available unless a QB they have really done their homework on falls to them here that they don't think will last til round 2.

Would you take the 5th or 6th best pass rusher at pick 20 over the 1st or 2nd best LB or OG/C?

GemCity

Reaction score
If Smith-Njigba is available then, it would be hard to pass up!

BASF

Reaction score
What about a DE (T. Wilson) at 5
And a RB at 20 maybe Robinson ??
While Robinson is head and shoulders above the rest, there are several good running backs in this draft that will be good compliments to Walker. I can't imagine that we would be willing to throw a first round pick at running back.

CostaRicaHawk

Reaction score
We have 5 selections in the top 51, what do you think will be Pete and Johns strategy here ?

I would be open to go offense with the second pick, it will be interesting to see how it lines up after combine. I believe we only have 4 picks in the 1st 2 rounds.
5, 20, 37 and 51

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Pick 20 HAS to go to C John Michael Schmitz. Ideally I would hope they could use pick 37 on him, but he won't make it that far. He may not even make it out of the first. Yeah people don't generally take centers in the first round, and yeah we need defensive help. But we need oline help as well. There are other centers (Wypler, Van-Pran)... Schmitz is better than them all. By far. He dominated in the senior bowl and is rapidly rising on many draft boards. They need to solidify that position that hasn't been the same since Unger left. Plus, it'll help get that Creed Humphrey D Eskridge taste out of their mouths.

BASF

Reaction score
Pick 20 HAS to go to C John Michael Schmitz. Ideally I would hope they could use pick 37 on him, but he won't make it that far. He may not even make it out of the first. Yeah people don't generally take centers in the first round, and yeah we need defensive help. But we need oline help as well. There are other centers (Wypler, Van-Pran)... Schmitz is better than them all. By far. He dominated in the senior bowl and is rapidly rising on many draft boards. They need to solidify that position that hasn't been the same since Unger left. Plus, it'll help get that Creed Humphrey D Eskridge taste out of their mouths.
Several people in here will still bring it up for at least another five years.

Seattle Person

Reaction score
As much as people are thinking best rusher available -- I actually don't think any of the Dlinemen outside of Carter/Anderson are worthy of the top 10. At #5, you get a chance at a blue-chipper. Here are the players I think are blue-chippers in this draft.

- Bryce Young
- Will Anderson
- Jalen Carter
- CJ Stroud
- Devon Witherspoon
- Bijon Robinson

I'm not going to advocate for Robinson at #5 but #20 might be a too good to pass up type of deal. I don't think he lasts until that long anyways. AT #5, I want one of the blue-chippers. Most likely Devon Witherspoon will be there. Pull the trigger on him and have him and Woolen for cheap for the next 3-5 years. That makes the secondary down right scary. It will probably improve the pass-rush anyways.

At #20, I think John Michael Schmitz makes a lot of sense. I don't think he's the best player available here but if you are going to reach a little, might as well be the best at his respective position. Michael Mayer makes sense if he lasts. Jordan Addison makes sense.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Good list. ^I'd add Levis to that list. And his system familiarity is a massive bonus.^

And I'd probably put the Notre Dame tight end right there with Robinson.