Ruggs sentenced to 3-10 years

sc85sis

Reaction score
They had to take a plea for less time due to questions about the legality of the blood draw.

District Attorney Steven B. Wolfson released a statement after the May hearing at which Ruggs pleaded guilty. ‘I recognize this outcome is not sufficient to punish Ruggs for the loss the Tintor family has suffered," the statement said, "but there was a legitimate concern that a court would have suppressed the result of the blood draw. We would have lost the felony DUI charge. We couldn't take that chance. This resolution sends Ruggs to prison for up to 10 years on a felony DUI conviction and brings closure to the Tintor family."

Mix

Reaction score
Thank God it's Ruggs and not Riggs, thought all that destruction from fighting crime finally caught up to him.

I was worried for Murtaugh also, he's getting to old for this shit.

People need to stop drinking and driving.

3-10 seems a little light for taking a life due to pure negligence.

2 Tiered Justice System.

morgulon1

Reaction score

RiverDog

Reaction score
It used to be that getting a cab was cost prohibitive for people like me, and there was no public transportation available in eastern Washington, so people took the chance. But nowadays, with Uber and Lyft virtually everywhere and at reasonable prices that the vast majority of us can afford, there is no excuse for someone getting a DUI, let alone a professional football player making millions.

The sentence is light, and I wonder what the issue with the blood draw was. The toxicology results are just one piece of evidence and not necessarily required for a conviction, especially in a case like this.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
who screwed up the blood test.. sounds like a law suit right there.

rcaido

Reaction score
So I can go to Las Vegas, get sloppy drunk and hit a woman in my Vette at 150 MPH and get 3 years ?

What in da fuq is going on in this upside down ,bubble wrapped world?
If you were comeback player of the year and have a rich nfl owner, you probably can get away with it. :p

Since obviously, the NFL dont need to punish Ruggs...I wonder if they will still send a message to Geno. Seem like the main focus is Gambling & Domestic Violence. According to the NFL, you can get a 3 game suspension for first time DUI. Geno didn't get charge but driving after drinking & smoking weed. Driving over 94mph and getting into it with the cops. I'm sure Geno violated 3 or more in the NFL personal conduct policy.

morgulon1

Reaction score
It used to be that getting a cab was cost prohibitive for people like me, and there was no public transportation available in eastern Washington, so people took the chance. But nowadays, with Uber and Lyft virtually everywhere and at reasonable prices that the vast majority of us can afford, there is no excuse for someone getting a DUI, let alone a professional football player making millions.

The sentence is light, and I wonder what the issue with the blood draw was. The toxicology results are just one piece of evidence and not necessarily required for a conviction, especially in a case like this.
Yeah , besides the blood , you have a dead human and her dog. I'm sorry all this happened but dude for away with murder and it's sickening.

rcaido

Reaction score
Yeah , besides the blood , you have a dead human and her dog. I'm sorry all this happened but dude for away with murder and it's sickening.
If you think that was bad, what about Donte Stallworth. He was DUI and killed someone too but he only sentenced to 30days but only did 24day jail time.

NoGain

Reaction score
Man, as I read it, that was a 10 on the negligence scale. What a cautionary tale his life became.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Anyone remember the St Louis Ram defensive lineman who killed a lady and her daughter ? IIRC it was around Christmas.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Little got a 90 day sentence, probation, and community service. It's actually not uncommon to receive a light punishment for involuntary manslaughter if it's your first offense and you plead guilty and whatnot.

olyfan63

Reaction score
If you were comeback player of the year and have a rich nfl owner, you probably can get away with it. :p

Since obviously, the NFL dont need to punish Ruggs...I wonder if they will still send a message to Geno. Seem like the main focus is Gambling & Domestic Violence. According to the NFL, you can get a 3 game suspension for first time DUI. Geno didn't get charge but driving after drinking & smoking weed. Driving over 94mph and getting into it with the cops. I'm sure Geno violated 3 or more in the NFL personal conduct policy.
I'm still baffled that Geno seems to have gotten away with that incident with minimal consequences.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I'm still baffled that Geno seems to have gotten away with that incident with minimal consequences.

His blood tested under the legal limit. Plus the cop view had to be to treat Geno with utmost coutesy given 1. The proximity in time to Chaz/chop and blm, and 2. That he was on our roster.

rcaido

Reaction score
Yes i find it quite odd. You dont even need to have a .08 to be convicted of DUI. Just him being combative and had to be restrain for the required blood test is already enough to get in trouble. Let alone verbally threatening to beatup police/medical staff.

olyfan63

Reaction score
His blood tested under the legal limit. Plus the cop view had to be to treat Geno with utmost coutesy given 1. The proximity in time to Chaz/chop and blm, and 2. That he was on our roster.
Thank you for that data point.. "Smith's blood alcohol concentration (BAC) registered at .038". I suppose that explains how he "got away with it", it technically was not DUI, and whatever pot he had smoked was not something that was tested for/reliable tests weren't available.

I still would have expected perhaps a 2-game suspension from the NFL based on the "Personal Conduct" policy, but that didn't happen.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Thank you for that data point.. "Smith's blood alcohol concentration (BAC) registered at .038". I suppose that explains how he "got away with it", it technically was not DUI, and whatever pot he had smoked was not something that was tested for/reliable tests weren't available.

I still would have expected perhaps a 2-game suspension from the NFL based on the "Personal Conduct" policy, but that didn't happen.
Yeah, me, too. The BAC is just one piece of evidence. They also had (I presume) his recorded speed at 94 mph in a 60 mph zone and at night. Combine that with the presence of both alcohol and marijuana in his system and I would think that they'd have plenty on him to slap him with a reckless driving charge. FYI the threshold for a CDL holder's BAC is .04%.

And like you, I would think that a 2-game suspension would be appropriate for, if nothing else, not to condone an uncooperative attitude with law enforcement.