OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
bigtrain21":3a1u8pb2 said:
RedAlice":3a1u8pb2 said:
Largent80":3a1u8pb2 said:
A few of mine involve the kicking game.

I want PAT's taken out of the game. Just award 7 on a TD and be done with it.

I want the kickoff return brought back. It is exciting, and to see kickers booting balls through the uprights on kickoffs is BORING and takes a lot of big plays out of the game, hell they already have disallowed "the wedge" which was pretty cool to me to see 4 guys hooked up in a line to block on kickoffs.

Make defensive P.I. a 5 yard penalty and a first down.

Yours?

NO WAY.

it is a decision to kick or go for two. that must stay.

You are so wrong on your first one.

You could still have the decision to go for two. Basically you would be offered a free point or you would turn it down and go for 2.

That is what I said in my post above yours. ELIMINATE the stupid kick. You have 7 already. You also have the option to go for 2 points. The kicking game in the NFL is friggin DUMB. Kickoffs are not even kickoffs anymore. 3/4 of them are touchbacks which eliminate some great possible plays by both teams.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Fade":1rqb9hjq said:
I agree with eliminating the extra point, and allow teams to risk a point to go for 2.

Adding on to that. Instead of going to commercial break, kickoff immediately after a score from the 30. Taking kickoffs out of the game has weakened the product.

-------------------------

Reduce challenges to 1, but you can challenge anything.

-------------------------

#1 though would be a new emphasis, on only throwing the flag if it impacted the play, a player gained an advantage, and it was blatantly obvious.

Ticky tack calls are what is driving most fans away.

Start taking away draft picks for teams that commit too many penalties. This would force teams to play by the rules, and play a cleaner game. Think of the emphasis on doing things right if teams knew they would lose picks for playing sloppy.

Overall you would see a massive reduction in penalties, a more fluid pacing, and much better games.

This would worry me. I do NOT want these worthless officials costing us draft picks.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
pmedic920":1yhnksvi said:
It's not a game rule, and I know that the players union fought for it but I'd like to see them practice more and harder during preseason.

I don't like that rule at all.

TBH, I think a team should be able to organized stuff all year long if the want too.

Adding to this, I feel like the preseason should have some sort of impact on the regular season so it is taken a little more seriously. Maybe a teams pre-season record decides a W-L tie between teams at the end of the season for playoffs? That wouldn't put so much emphasis that starters are being left in longer to intentionally be injured, but that also might give an incentive to coaches to try a little harder and not have such vanilla game calling.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I'm sorry but the PAT rule is great. It adds a whole different element to the game. Making it an automatic 7 points is lame.

I want to see the NFL adopt College OT for the regular season and scrap ties entirely. In the postseason do the overtime rules we have now. I want to see the NFL adopt the targeting rule from college football as well, yes college refs botch it sometimes, but you want to crack down on head-to-head hits? Instill that rule. People won't hit like that very long after they are kicked out of the game and lose a game check.

Agreed on making defensive penalties give a first down only when the yardage permits it. Though if you do that, probably have to make defensive holding 10 yards and not 5, otherwise why wouldn't you just bear hug all the WR's on a 3rd and 10+ ..?

Would also like to see the NFL adopt the college rules of stopping the clock until the ball is placed down and the play clock is started.. only do so inside of 2 minutes of each half.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
bbsplitter":5stlet2d said:
pmedic920":5stlet2d said:
It's not a game rule, and I know that the players union fought for it but I'd like to see them practice more and harder during preseason.

I don't like that rule at all.

TBH, I think a team should be able to organized stuff all year long if the want too.

Adding to this, I feel like the preseason should have some sort of impact on the regular season so it is taken a little more seriously. Maybe a teams pre-season record decides a W-L tie between teams at the end of the season for playoffs? That wouldn't put so much emphasis that starters are being left in longer to intentionally be injured, but that also might give an incentive to coaches to try a little harder and not have such vanilla game calling.

That would be along the lines of the all-star game winner determining home field advantage in the World Series, which in my opinion is the worst rule in all of sports.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
15 yards for pass interference
bring 5 yard face mask penalty back
move kickoffs back
the new catch "rule" is terrible, fix it
bring back td celebrations but give them a 10 second clock as soon as they score and yes you can use the ball as a prop.

rlkats

Reaction score
Rule I would like implemented is

My Niners automatically get 5 wins to begin the season. At least this way they will have 5 wins to end the season. Hahahahaha god I kill myself.

In all seriousness. The catch rule is the worst and the hitting the QB they protect some but not all.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Eliminate the ground-causing-the-fumble rule. Offensive player should have to maintain control of possession after he hits the ground in the process of a tackle or it should be ruled a fumble.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":jts1c0a7 said:
Eliminate the ground-causing-the-fumble rule. Offensive player should have to maintain control of possession after he hits the ground in the process of a tackle or it should be ruled a fumble.

I'm not saying I would want this implemented--AT ALL--but it would be more in line with the catch rule.

mikeak

Reaction score
15 yard personal penalties should NOT change the distance to the 1st down.Currenly if you get 1st down then a 15 yard penalty you keep the first down and have 1st and 10 albeit 15 yards further back. If you end up 1 yard short suddenly you have 16 yards to go and it could be 3rd down......

Change the rules close to your own end zone. IF either team is penalized by half the distance then the same penalty would apply to the other team. Example. You are on the 1 yard line about to score. Opponent jumps offside. You are on the 0.5 yard line but then you have a false start and suddenly find yourself on the 5.5 yard line. So each team was given a penalty that should be 5 yards but you are the only one that was significantly impacted. So if things were the way I want them to be you only move back to the 1yard line. Currently you incentivize the defense to cheat in this situation. Same on the flip side when you are back against your own endzone. You can hold opponents knowing the penalty is not stiff (as long as you are not in the endzone).

INTENTIONAL holding / PI by MULTIPLE defenders within the redzone and less than 10 seconds left at the END of FIRST HALF ONLY gives a team 1 regular play plus 1 kicking play (assuming no other penalties are incurred). Two weeks ago a team (can't remember whom) had 3 guys all grab the WRs. They knew they would get the penalty but since there was so little time left they basically eliminated the TD option and forced the team with the ball to kick the FG as there wasn't enough time left on the clock

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Seanhawk":3abufj02 said:
Siouxhawk":3abufj02 said:

I'm not saying I would want this implemented--AT ALL--but it would be more in line with the catch rule.
I'm thinking more along the lines of after a player has established possession, is tackled, the ball pops out and they don't rule it a fumble because he hit the ground first. I have never liked that because it's my belief that hitting the ground is part of the tackling process. When the whistle blows is when the play is over in my book.

James in PA

Reaction score
Everything should be reviewable, including penalties. Give the teams one more challenge than they have now to review anything they want. I don't care if the games go longer, just get it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cymatica

Reaction score
Touchback rule if the player on offense loses the ball out of the endzone. DonDon't understand this rule at all

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Largent80":3m2xqfws said:
A few of mine involve the kicking game.

I want PAT's taken out of the game. Just award 7 on a TD and be done with it.

I want the kickoff return brought back. It is exciting, and to see kickers booting balls through the uprights on kickoffs is BORING and takes a lot of big plays out of the game, hell they already have disallowed "the wedge" which was pretty cool to me to see 4 guys hooked up in a line to block on kickoffs.

Make defensive P.I. a 5 yard penalty and a first down.

Yours?

Why not just award an extra three points per team each possession? PATs are not gimmies at all anymore. You saw the occasional miss before, but they're almost common enough as to be worried every time the ball is kicked.

To wit: 8 missed PATs all of last year. 11 missed PATS just today, and the games aren't even over yet.

Uh, make that 12 missed PATS so far...

Threedee

Reaction score
hawxfreak":2vabc8ju said:
Define what a catch is and take out the football move verbage
If you catch it with control and get two feet down then you caught it
100% agree. The catch rule is my current pet peeve.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3375z7o1 said:
I kind of like that. :2thumbs:

Rat

Reaction score
I thought I heard that kickoff returns were actually up this year. With everyone being a few yards closer to the end zone, it makes a lot of sense to try to kick it inside the five and and pin them back. The Eagles had a great one on Lockett yesterday.