Ruminations on the Eagles Game.

capncrunch

Reaction score
edogg23":fb7vbsyy said:
Little harsh on DK. Remember the wind was gusting today. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if that deep pass got caught up in the wind and blown to the inside of the field at the end causing him to misjudge it.

Yeah. I think he will be allriight. Some extra reps with hands only catching perhaps. Had to enjoy watching him leping over that dude later n the game eh?

StoneCold

Reaction score
DomeHawk":l5q8e4dt said:
StoneCold":l5q8e4dt said:
edogg23":l5q8e4dt said:
Little harsh on DK. Sometimes he makes amazing catches and at others he has hands of stone. If he develops hands in the tradition of Angry Doug and The Poet, he is going to be amazing.

But that is the problem right now, his inconsistency. He has a low percentage of catches per targets. That can stall or be a drive-ender.

As the season began I posted that this is the book on him (hands, route tree) and have been summarily vilified for posting that. That wasn't my evaluation, it's the eval of the whole league and that is why he slipped in the draft.

Don't get me wrong, I really like DK, but if he is going to be the HOF'er some of you have already prematurely granted him, he needs to improve in those areas.

We are in agreement as that was the point of my post. For a rookie he's doing well, but if he wants to be an elite receiver, for which he has all the physical attributes except one. Hands.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
DomeHawk":2cslb84m said:
StoneCold":2cslb84m said:
edogg23":2cslb84m said:
Little harsh on DK. Sometimes he makes amazing catches and at others he has hands of stone. If he develops hands in the tradition of Angry Doug and The Poet, he is going to be amazing.

But that is the problem right now, his inconsistency. He has a low percentage of catches per targets. That can stall or be a drive-ender.

As the season began I posted that this is the book on him (hands, route tree) and have been summarily vilified for posting that. That wasn't my evaluation, it's the eval of the whole league and that is why he slipped in the draft.

Don't get me wrong, I really like DK, but if he is going to be the HOF'er some of you have already prematurely granted him, he needs to improve in those areas.

I have seen many hawk fans excited about DK.

I haven't seen many saying he is a lcok future HOF'er without weaknesses.

Potential for greatness is there if he improves seems to be where 99.9% of us are at, wouldn't you say?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
StoneCold":2j9msksh said:
DomeHawk":2j9msksh said:
StoneCold":2j9msksh said:
edogg23":2j9msksh said:

We are in agreement as that was the point of my post. For a rookie he's doing well, but if he wants to be an elite receiver, for which he has all the physical attributes except one. Hands.
I think he would do well to seek out Steve Largent who will help
any Hawk when asked..I can't recall any passes he ever dropped.
So who better to ask?Jerry Rice also..You can't go wrong if they help
you right?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I tried to tell someone (not on here) that Rice had major drop problems as a rookie, was getting boo's from his own fans etc. They basically said "no, he didn't" Um...…….ok

He had 10 drops his first season and the fans were on him big time. Once DK gets over his drops (on tough catches) he will be a damn good WR.

D

DomeHawk

Hawkpower":2egoq8s1 said:
DomeHawk":2egoq8s1 said:
StoneCold":2egoq8s1 said:
edogg23":2egoq8s1 said:

Potential for greatness is there if he improves seems to be where 99.9% of us are at, wouldn't you say?

Whoosh

I think it was pretty obvious I wasn't being literal. That was in reference to the over-the-top hype that many were posting about him.

But to answer your question, I have no idea whether he will be great or not. You could say the same thing about every player drafted in the first three rds.

Like I said, that was the book on him (drops, route tree) coming into the league. In my opinion that's still how he looks to a certain degree. If he is going to great he is going to have to overcome some old habits.

I am rooting for him.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
DomeHawk":1t2jsvcg said:
Hawkpower":1t2jsvcg said:
DomeHawk":1t2jsvcg said:

Whoosh

I think it was pretty obvious I wasn't being literal. That was in reference to the over-the-top hype that many were posting about him.

But to answer your question, I have no idea whether he will be great or not. You could say the same thing about every player drafted in the first three rds.

Like I said, that was the book on him (drops, route tree) coming into the league. In my opinion that's still how he looks to a certain degree. If he is going to great he is going to have to overcome some old habits.

I am rooting for him.

Not a whoosh.

I am aware you weren't being literal.

My point was that I haven't seen abnormal amounts of over the top hype, just mostly optimism for the future. We all see he has weaknesses that need to be addressed. There are very few fans here who need to be educated about what a good reciever looks like, we all see it.

And even if there was a crazy amount of hype, who cares? He's a Seahawk right?. Like you said, we are all rooting for him, so if people get a little excited I'm not sure why that needs to be tamped down. Let em dream. No harm in that :D

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Hawkpower":3qnefo82 said:
DomeHawk":3qnefo82 said:
Hawkpower":3qnefo82 said:
DomeHawk":3qnefo82 said:

Whoosh

I am rooting for him.

Not a whoosh.

My point was that I haven't seen abnormal amounts of over the top hype, just mostly optimism for the future. We all see he has weaknesses that need to be addressed. There are very few fans here who need to be educated about what a good reciever looks like, we all see it.

And even if there was a crazy amount of hype, who cares? He's a Seahawk right?. Like you said, we are all rooting for him, so if people get a little excited I'm not sure why that needs to be tamped down. Let em dream. No harm in that :D

There's been a few fans making comparisons to megatron but other than physicality, I'm not seeing it. He doesn't have soft hands and he doesn't adjust to the ball as well as he needs to. I expect the hands thing will always be an issue since that's harder to coach. The ball adjustment thing will likely come with time.

Rather than megatron, I see Terrell Owens when I look at DK. And as long as he doesn't develop that diva attitude, I'm fine with that kind of career.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
aawolf":2oloftmz said:
I'll echo those that said the WIND was a huge factor today as far as accuracy with the passing game--on both sides. Wentz looked worse than Russell with having multiple balls sail over receivers. I think the bunny throw was especially affected because he tried to lob it and it sailed due to the wind. That TD drop by Metcalf also seemed to move to the left right before it got to him due to the wind. It was like trying to hit a knuckle ball or catching a butterfly in the wind.

The absolute worst part of this game was the penalties. Getting into 1st and 25 situations is brutal. All the turnovers and pressure that our defense produced in this game and we gave up a blowout because our O-line couldn't get out of their own way. We really hurt Russell's MVP chances because asking him to throw on 3rd and long every time because of penalties is a tough task, especially in this weather.

Yessir. I agree with this post. There is nothing at all wrong with DK. A close look at the 3 "just missed" tagets he dropped against the Eagles shows each of them were just off his fingertips. Russ was throwing the ball with a little extra oomph into the wind avoid the int. One inch less on those and DK hauls them in.

As for our defensive effort, I was a tad less enthusiastic than Coach Carroll. During the game I felt like we backslid to pre-niner game performance level. Even though we didn't give up much in the way of points, thanks mostly to producing an incredible turnover rate, we were giving up too many yards against a seriously shorthanded offensive squad.

The game ended up being close on the scoreboard due, in no small part, to our propensity for committing drive killing penalties. With the turnover difference in our favor we should have won that one by at least 3 TDs.

If we're going to lose another game in the regular season the Niners are going to have to lose at least 2, one of which is their last meeting against us. We really, really, really, need to win the division.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
Mad Dog":11qqbedy said:
Hawkpower":11qqbedy said:
DomeHawk":11qqbedy said:
Hawkpower":11qqbedy said:

Whoosh

I am rooting for him.

Not a whoosh.

There's been a few fans making comparisons to megatron but other than physicality, I'm not seeing it. He doesn't have soft hands and he doesn't adjust to the ball as well as he needs to. I expect the hands thing will always be an issue since that's harder to coach. The ball adjustment thing will likely come with time.

Rather than megatron, I see Terrell Owens when I look at DK. And as long as he doesn't develop that diva attitude, I'm fine with that kind of career.

I would hope you would be ok with a HOF career. Let’s all remember he is a rookie...

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":2rro7g16 said:
Mad Dog":2rro7g16 said:
Hawkpower":2rro7g16 said:
DomeHawk":2rro7g16 said:
Whoosh

I am rooting for him.

Not a whoosh.

I would hope you would be ok with a HOF career. Let’s all remember he is a rookie...

Totally fine with TO's production, totally not fine with the behavioral issues. Fortunately I don't see that kind of thing happening with DK, but you never know what's in the hearts of men.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Chapow":jivdklej said:
zblevins":jivdklej said:
Joey Hunt got EXPOSED today. Worst game for him so far by a long shot. Yea the d-line is probably the best part of Philly's roster but he was gawd awful. Just one more reason I like Britt in the middle of our line. He and Russ have a great relationship and he is a very good center.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Fletcher Cox is probably going to dominate most back up centers.

That sure wasn't the first time Hunt has been pancaked. Same thing seems to happen to him pretty regularly. That's kind of a builtin risk at the center position. Britt's play has spoiled us.

Chapow, the real reason I hit quote on your post was to compliment you on your exceedingly fine avatar.

LastRideOut

Reaction score
Appyhawk":3xvccmoh said:
aawolf":3xvccmoh said:
I'll echo those that said the WIND was a huge factor today as far as accuracy with the passing game--on both sides. Wentz looked worse than Russell with having multiple balls sail over receivers. I think the bunny throw was especially affected because he tried to lob it and it sailed due to the wind. That TD drop by Metcalf also seemed to move to the left right before it got to him due to the wind. It was like trying to hit a knuckle ball or catching a butterfly in the wind.

The absolute worst part of this game was the penalties. Getting into 1st and 25 situations is brutal. All the turnovers and pressure that our defense produced in this game and we gave up a blowout because our O-line couldn't get out of their own way. We really hurt Russell's MVP chances because asking him to throw on 3rd and long every time because of penalties is a tough task, especially in this weather.

Yessir. I agree with this post. There is nothing at all wrong with DK. A close look at the 3 "just missed" tagets he dropped against the Eagles shows each of them were just off his fingertips. Russ was throwing the ball with a little extra oomph into the wind avoid the int. One inch less on those and DK hauls them in.

As for our defensive effort, I was a tad less enthusiastic than Coach Carroll. During the game I felt like we backslid to pre-niner game performance level. Even though we didn't give up much in the way of points, thanks mostly to producing an incredible turnover rate, we were giving up too many yards against a seriously shorthanded offensive squad.

The game ended up being close on the scoreboard due, in no small part, to our propensity for committing drive killing penalties. With the turnover difference in our favor we should have won that one by at least 3 TDs.

If we're going to lose another game in the regular season the Niners are going to have to lose at least 2, one of which is their last meeting against us. We really, really, really, need to win the division.

I agree. Go Seahawks!