RUMORS: SEA was considering drafting QB early, maybe Mahomes

mikeak

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":d4ru477e said:
Seahwkgal":d4ru477e said:
ivotuk":d4ru477e said:
Last year our problem wasn't Russell Wilson, it was the defense.
:2thumbs: Exactly, however I do think that TOP also affected the D. Hopefully we get a running game back this season and I have a gut feeling we will.

This is a false fact that I see posted many times in the forums. Not that I condemn the idea in general, it is just a common misconception. The time of possession from season 2012 through 2016, 5 seasons worth, was nominal. Defense was not our problem last year. The rankings do not show it. Scoring touchdowns in the redzone was our absolute most harmful stat last year.

seahawkfreak":d4ru477e said:
Average Time of Possession (excluding OT)

2012: 31:24
2013: 29:57
2014: 31:26
2015: 31:03
2016: 29:16

[urltargetblank]https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/average-time-of-possession-net-of-ot?date=2016-12-17[/urltargetblank]

Again - people are trying to have an emotional discussion based on what they think and feel. Any and all facts should be ignored when they don't support what people believe.......

(good post)

From a defensive performance we didn't get the turnovers created though. We had 19 in 2016, 22 in 2015 and 23 in 2014.

In 2013 we had 28 interceptions!!! We had more interceptions in 2013 than we had fumbles and interceptions in any of the following 3 years.....

http://www.nfl.com/teams/seattleseahawk ... easonType=

Our average starting field position 2016 was: 28.89 yard line -- http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ ... atsoff2016
2015 - 28.94
2013 - 31.28
So we increased the average by about 3 yards per field position due to creating those turnovers in 2013

Now lets look at just RW for redzone passing (certainly related to situational football as in did they put him in 3rd and long each time and what was the playcall). His stats 2016 are AWFUL
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/y ... assing.htm

Inside the 20 -- 40.54 completion percentage ............seriously
Inside the 10 - 38.46

There are TWO starters in the league that were worse last year inside the 20 and that is Cam Newton and Tom Savage and I struggle calling Savage a starter.....

So yeah - redzone.......

pmedic920

Reaction score
vin.couve12":4qtopdqa said:
I wouldn't have had a problem with it. Wilson is a very good quarterback, but he's just one guy. The QB demigod thing is really, really overplayed anyway. You could even use the 2013 Hawks as an example. The Brady anomaly aside, you don't need an elite QB to get rings and the position and and of itself takes up an inordinate amount of cap space to retain even a decent one.

Hell with it, take the kid gloves off....we might just become a better overall football team like in 2013.

#TrentDilfer

:{)

sdog1981

Reaction score
mikeak":235odkj4 said:
Inside the 10 - 38.46

There are TWO starters in the league that were worse last year inside the 20 and that is Cam Newton and Tom Savage and I struggle calling Savage a starter.....

So yeah - redzone.......

What were his passing percentages his other years?

mikeak

Reaction score
sdog1981":3jq97619 said:
mikeak":3jq97619 said:
Inside the 10 - 38.46

So yeah - redzone.......

You can just go back in the original link. I didn't look at it because prior years had a much better running attack making our redzone offense more multi-dimensional (please don't get into "The Play")

with that said -- 2015 - 49.15%, 2014 - 45.16%, 2013 - 42.86%

sdog1981

Reaction score
mikeak":i061g9sh said:
sdog1981":i061g9sh said:
mikeak":i061g9sh said:
Inside the 10 - 38.46

So yeah - redzone.......

You can just go back in the original link. I didn't look at it because prior years had a much better running attack making our redzone offense more multi-dimensional (please don't get into "The Play")

with that said -- 2015 - 49.15%, 2014 - 45.16%, 2013 - 42.86%

That is a big drop from his 2012 peak. Something is wrong here.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I, for one don't think Wilson will be a QB that has great longevity. I think he is one big injury away from being a middle of the pack Quarterback. His style is very unique, it worked for the mad scrambler Tarkenton back in the 70s, so maybe Russ will be able to avoid a big injury. That being said much of what he does is predicated upon chaos, and his ability to extend the play. He does not work within the structure of the play that often. He is an improviser, he makes plays happen. He relies on the big competition down the field rather than a controlled march, and to Wilson's credit he gets that play quite often.

Because of how Wilson plays the game I shutter to think of what he will become when he loses even just a little bit of his mobility, and quick change of direction ability. When he has to operate more like the traditional QB due to age or injury I think we're going to be faced with the reality of QB that is closer to an Alex Smith than Russell Wilson. I think Pete and Schneider recognize that this is a possibility.

I say this because he doesn't seem to control the LOS like many other veteran QB's in the league. I don't know if this is by design or just because it is a skill he never developed. When he does audible sometimes I'm left scratching my head at his decision. His pocket presence also has never been good. When he is in the pocket he looks unsettled, and it has always been that way. He does not notice things going on around him. I absolutely hate how many times he has literally walked himself into a sack. Wilson also tends to prefer running backwards, rather than stepping up into the pocket. These are things he can't get away with if his mobility becomes an issue.

I hope that being shell shocked does not become an issue either. I saw a lot of hesitation from Wilson last season. He looked scared to pull the trigger, it looked as if he lacked confidence in both himself, and his teammates. The later part is understandable because his line was getting him killed. With every decision he looked unsure of himself. He started looking more like Tarvaris Jackson than the usual decisive Russell Wilson. This development scares me, because this could stay with him his entire career. This sort of thing has derailed, and ruined QB's in the past, and sad thing about it is it is Pete Carroll's, Schneiders, and Cable's fault, not Wilson's.

bighawk

Reaction score
This is rumor mill that makes no sense and would have been a wasted pick.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Drafting a QB that high would have been ridiculous considering Matt Flynn is still a FA.

:stirthepot:

chris98251

Reaction score
Well lets just look at it since the draft there has been silence, I would think this is all about clicks.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Before the draft, John Clayton was talking about how John S was a protege of the GB Packer GM.. Wolf. It seems Wolf always drafted QB's every draft, whether it be Hasselback, Rogers or any other. Clayton went on to ask asj John why he never drafted any as a Seahawk Gm and Johns answer was simply that the QB they wanted never came their way, or a player they needed was available, not , that he wouldn't have selected a QB if one they liked was available. It seems Wolf would draft QB's in the hope they would develop and be trade chips in the future, but insurance in the present, and it's the same philosophy, according to Clayton that John S has.

So, this could be part of the story why John was interested in this particular QB.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Mahomes is a project but he has a very high ceiling if he can learn and adjust. And since we don't currently have the most stable backup situation, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Seattle at least vaguely considered taking a QB depending on how things lined up during the draft.

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
nash72":ebdgbqzy said:
Come on. Who cares if they drafted a QB anyways? Wilson is a Super Bowl winning QB and a record setter. He is in no danger of being replaced anytime soon. Our back up QB situation is still kind of in limbo though. Boykins isnt doing himself any favors as of late.

He's also a Super Bowl losing quarterback. Just sayin... :stirthepot:

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
I hate rumors like this. I don't doubt they had Mahomes high on their board, but I can pretty much guarantee there was NO CHANCE they would have drafted him with their first pick if he was available.

There is no way at all they would choose a backup QB when they have a top 10 (if not 5 assuming he isn't injured this year) QB currently. Not for whatever contract leverage that would create for them FOUR YEARS FROM NOW, versus drafting a starting CB or 3T or OT. That would be seriously stupid.

People point to the Patriots, but what have they really gotten out of their backup QB picks? They drafted Mallett in the third and that was a wasted pick for them, they drafted Garopollo in the 2nd and now won't trade him because of Brady's age so they're not getting a return there. By the time he starts he's going to be PAID.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Considering our offensive line strategy it would be wise to have more than one starting capable QB on the roster... maybe more than two even.

massari

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2ymxtsfw said:
The fact that anyone would actually believe that the Hawks would have taken him in the 1st is hilarious.
If he comes in and plays like Jimmy Garoppolo, he could fetch a lot ore than a #26 overall. It could be a wise investment down the road while feeling good about having a guy potentially able to step in should Wilson go down or maybe even challenge Wilson for the starting QB job.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Then again It could have just been Pete wanting the excuse to say my homie in press conferences.