RUSS IS NOT PROBLEM

seahawksny

Reaction score
When he is ....

1)constantly running for his life and has no time to throw

2) Not asked to run the ball regularly which we havent seen since his 3rd season n the league

Ive seen posts that say his legs are old and can't run. How can this be if they haven't been tested in probably five years??

3) team can't run the ball

Put Brady or Rodgers on this team and they aren't 12-4 or even 11-5. More like 8-8

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
seahawksny":1dhtlbq8 said:
When he is ....

1)constantly running for his life and has no time to throw

2) Not asked to run the ball regularly which we havent seen since his 3rd season n the league

Ive seen posts that say his legs are old and can't run. How can this be if they haven't been tested in probably five years??

3) team can't run the ball

Put Brady or Rodgers on this team and they aren't 12-4 or even 11-5. More like 8-8
The OC and the head coach’s offensive philosophy are the problem.
Pete is still coaching like he has a good offensive line, still has beastmode and the original LOB.
The talent level isn’t high enough to cover up consistent coaching mistakes anymore.

xray

Reaction score
No he's not the problem , but he has two big problems that aren't his fault . His prime has come and gone faster than it should have ; and a HC that is responsible for that happening . Fill in the ' reasons ' for that yourself . There's plenty to choose from . IMO

OP
OP
S

seahawksny

Reaction score
xray":dv24heow said:
No he's not the problem , but he has two big problems that aren't his fault . His prime has come and gone faster than it should have ; and a HC that is responsible for that happening . Fill in the ' reasons ' for that yourself . There's plenty to choose from . IMO

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Seattle's first TD came off a play where the Rams defense won - every route was covered and Wilson was under pressure. Props to DK for taking off - but Wilson moving to his left about to get crushed throws a perfect pass. It's sad that it'll be lost because of the outcome but that's a hall of fame play IMO.

He is definitely not the problem. I know he threw the pick 6 but if any QB was under center they also would have thrown a pick 6 there - it's a snap and throw play.

Replace Wilson with an average QB and this game probably would have been 30-3

RCATES

Reaction score
Lmao at this crap. Russ was god awful the last 10 weeks. Open your eyes. Same thing every year with you guys. Russ is 100% the problem.

PNW

Reaction score
Ramfan128":31fthbss said:
Seattle's first TD came off a play where the Rams defense won - every route was covered and Wilson was under pressure. Props to DK for taking off - but Wilson moving to his left about to get crushed throws a perfect pass. It's sad that it'll be lost because of the outcome but that's a hall of fame play IMO.

He is definitely not the problem. I know he threw the pick 6 but if any QB was under center they also would have thrown a pick 6 there - it's a snap and throw play.

Replace Wilson with an average QB and this game probably would have been 30-3

While I do agree with some of your points, it’s not 100% the Rams would have won 30-3, the Seahawks could afford $35million in other areas strengthening weaknesses. But who knows

keasley45

Reaction score
I've posted this example before and probably will again, and when i have the patience and stomach to go back through the all 22 and find more (because there are MANY) I will. But exactly who's fault is this? The tyrannical coach who somehow doesnt want the offense to put up points? or the idiot of a coordinator that cant scheme his way out of a paper bag?

50821235366 c3253e66fa20210103_175554 by J_Otte, on Flickr

50821235281 29ee83044520210103_175623 by J_Otte, on Flickr

This play was so maddeningly frustrating because my dad and i are watching the game and see that lockett will be wide open, pre snap. The 49ers elect to leave him open (one of our most electric players) and play high outside. why? BECAUSE THEY KNW THAT RUSS WONT HIT IT. Either because he cant or wont. He's not as elusive, and he cant or wont hit obvious shots in th emiddle of the field, close to the line. So how exacvtly do you adjust as a coordinator when 1/3rd of the field is basically out of the playbook? Evidenced yesterday was that our wr screen solution has been solved forever (and how many times have we seen that play over and over and over again this year for 1 or 2 yards?) CB's can play inside leverage to cover outside slants against pressure (that was solved week 6) . The screen game CAN work but if you know the solutions the O is gonna draw up is NOTHING over the middle, an outside slant, or a screen, exactly HOW EFFECTIVE DO YOU THINK OUR SCREEN GAME IS GOING TO BE. We are giving defenses a pass on 1/3rd of the field. That's hard to overcome, and with Russ getting up in years and not as mobile, ... well, you get what we saw this year.

I love Russ, Want to see him him flourish here, but the tape doesnt lie and we need to stop looking at this situation as it being JUST Pete or JUST Schotty. When you look at the evidence you can absoultely say the O is vanilla. But is it vanilla because its being mandated or because its now become that based on what Russ can or cant (or wont) do? The only way i can make up my mind about that is looking at the tape and when you do, you see A LOT of plays that resulted in open receivers, on time, and with their heads to the QB and a QB standing there with the ball still in his hand.

And i dont know what magic sauce there is to help this situation. Defenses adapted to just rush us up the middle and cover deep becasue thats basically what our offense is if we cant use the middle of the field. In prior years when Russ was a bit more of a running threat, he would make them pay. That threat isnt nearly what it was. SO the instances where the D gets burned are fewer and the gamble much more worth taking.

renofox

Reaction score
That picture shows alot. 6 guys blocking, 5 guys rushing. And one of the 5 is unblocked - AGAIN! We've been seeing that way too often, and we've been seeing it for years.

Why does this still happen so often?

Our defense is lucky to do this once a game. Other teams defenses seem to get it 4-5 times every single game we play.

hawkfannj

Reaction score
We don’t put any money in the offensive line because of his mobility that’s the reasoning ,well that hasn’t worked out real well for us and father time always catches up he looks a little fat and slow no doubt about it.
Russ is part of the problem , actually his contract is .Until he restructures or takes a pay cut it’ll be the same stuff over again
The real problem comes down to coaching ,the you can’t win in the first quarter can’t win in the second quarter can’t win in the third quarter you can only win in the fourth quarter crap has handicap the mentality of this team. Also the main focal point on turnovers and that’s it that wins and loses games. I understand that they are part of the game and yes it’s tough to win when you lose the turnover battle but that’s not the whole game and the fear of him throwing an interception you can see it that’s coaching

keasley45

Reaction score
a play from the first qtr yesterday.

Obviously supposed to go to the TE .

20210110_122603 by J_Otte, on Flickr
TE comes in to chip.

20210110_122616 by J_Otte, on Flickr
Chips the DE

20210110_122625 by J_Otte, on Flickr
Pushes him outside and starts his release (Russ is looking downfield as he should be)

20210110_122632 by J_Otte, on Flickr
From here, the play is a success. TE releases, Russ should turn and the lob the ball to him. Instead, his eyes stay downfield

20210110_122640 by J_Otte, on Flickr
Again, he should now be turning to the TE read and instead is looking to the covered WR's running go routes down the sideline. He should be moving in the picket to hit the TE pass. Instead he fades left.

He could step up into the pocket, break the line and hit the TE, but he hangs back, looking downfield...

20210110_122648 by J_Otte, on Flickr
And with the TE wide open with no one within 10 yards, he takes a sack.

From the beginning, there was no way this play was designed to go deep. It was clear that the TE releasing and the WR clearing out the underneath was a good read and Russ not only didnt hit it, he didnt even try and instead kept his eye deep on WR's that were running themselves into coverage. The play design worked. If there was extra pressurethe read is still the read and teh intent should be to elude the pressure and hit the open man. Like i said, he didnt even try.

John63

Reaction score
keasley45":1ctuvkah said:
I've posted this example before and probably will again, and when i have the patience and stomach to go back through the all 22 and find more (because there are MANY) I will. But exactly who's fault is this? The tyrannical coach who somehow doesnt want the offense to put up points? or the idiot of a coordinator that cant scheme his way out of a paper bag?

This play was so maddeningly frustrating because my dad and i are watching the game and see that lockett will be wide open, pre snap. The 49ers elect to leave him open (one of our most electric players) and play high outside. why? BECAUSE THEY KNW THAT RUSS WONT HIT IT. Either because he cant or wont. He's not as elusive, and he cant or wont hit obvious shots in th emiddle of the field, close to the line. So how exacvtly do you adjust as a coordinator when 1/3rd of the field is basically out of the playbook? Evidenced yesterday was that our wr screen solution has been solved forever (and how many times have we seen that play over and over and over again this year for 1 or 2 yards?) CB's can play inside leverage to cover outside slants against pressure (that was solved week 6) . The screen game CAN work but if you know the solutions the O is gonna draw up is NOTHING over the middle, an outside slant, or a screen, exactly HOW EFFECTIVE DO YOU THINK OUR SCREEN GAME IS GOING TO BE. We are giving defenses a pass on 1/3rd of the field. That's hard to overcome, and with Russ getting up in years and not as mobile, ... well, you get what we saw this year.

I love Russ, Want to see him him flourish here, but the tape doesnt lie and we need to stop looking at this situation as it being JUST Pete or JUST Schotty. When you look at the evidence you can absoultely say the O is vanilla. But is it vanilla because its being mandated or because its now become that based on what Russ can or cant (or wont) do? The only way i can make up my mind about that is looking at the tape and when you do, you see A LOT of plays that resulted in open receivers, on time, and with their heads to the QB and a QB standing there with the ball still in his hand.

And i don't know what magic sauce there is to help this situation. Defenses adapted to just rush us up the middle and cover deep because thats basically what our offense is if we cant use the middle of the field. In prior years when Russ was a bit more of a running threat, he would make them pay. That threat isn't nearly what it was. SO the instances where the D gets burned are fewer and the gamble much more worth taking.

The answer is simple PC has said he hates throwing over the middle. He thinks there is to high a chance for batted, or tipped ball. In fact 4 of Wilson Ints came over the middle when the receiver had it go throughout their hands, off their face mask etc. As to o being vanilla, yeah it is until the 4th qtr when they let Wilson loose. And because of that we know for a fact it is not a Wilson problem but a PC problem

John63

Reaction score
keasley45":16habm37 said:

TE comes in to chip.

Chips the DE

Pushes him outside and starts his release (Russ is looking downfield as he should be)

From here, the play is a success. TE releases, Russ should turn and the lob the ball to him. Instead, his eyes stay downfield

Again, he should now be turning to the TE read and instead is looking to the covered WR's running go routes down the sideline. He should be moving in the picket to hit the TE pass. Instead he fades left.

He could step up into the pocket, break the line and hit the TE, but he hangs back, looking downfield...

From the beginning, there was no way this play was designed to go deep. It was clear that the TE releasing and the WR clearing out the underneath was a good read and Russ not only didnt hit it, he didnt even try and instead kept his eye deep on WR's that were running themselves into coverage. The play design worked. If there was extra pressurethe read is still the read and teh intent should be to elude the pressure and hit the open man. Like i said, he didnt even try.

ahh you do know the Te never turns to look at Wilson right? Also, again you dont know what Wilson been told by PC to do? Remember PC hates short passes he wants run and throw long. I know you are tyryign hard to show Wilson is the main problem. But sorry he is not. When the other team is tellign you they knwo what is coming time and time again, that tell syou the QB is nto the problem, the system is.

keasley45

Reaction score
John63":81fkqqtv said:
keasley45":81fkqqtv said:

TE comes in to chip.

Chips the DE

ahh you do know the Te never turns to look at Wilson right? Also, again you dont know what Wilson been told by PC to do? Remember PC hates short passes he wants run and throw long. I know you are tyryign hard to show Wilson is the main problem. But sorry he is not. When the other team is tellign you they knwo what is coming time and time again, that tell syou the QB is nto the problem, the system is.

Russ never looked at the TE. He never intended to even go there. His entire read was downfield where there was zero chance of completing the play. Zero. Its not rocket science to know where your open guy is going to be and put yourself in a position to get the ball there.

And the idea that Russ is soooo absolutley subservient to Pete'e every whim that he will flat out ignore basic QB reads is absurd. Quite frankly, if thats the case and he just waltz out there and gives up half the field and half the plays because coach said so, then he's just as much of the issue as anyone else. He's a 9 year vet. And there's a ton of evidence on tape that the dude just isnt playing the whole field.

keasley45

Reaction score
John63":sufzob4j said:
keasley45":sufzob4j said:

And i don't know what magic sauce there is to help this situation. Defenses adapted to just rush us up the middle and cover deep because thats basically what our offense is if we cant use the middle of the field. In prior years when Russ was a bit more of a running threat, he would make them pay. That threat isn't nearly what it was. SO the instances where the D gets burned are fewer and the gamble much more worth taking.

The answer is simple PC has said he hates throwing over the middle. He thinks there is to high a chance for batted, or tipped ball. In fact 4 of Wilson Ints came over the middle when the receiver had it go throughout their hands, off their face mask etc. As to o being vanilla, yeah it is until the 4th qtr when they let Wilson loose. And because of that we know for a fact it is not a Wilson problem but a PC problem

Again, sorry, but every coach knows that over the middle throws are higher risk. its basic football. Always has been. He'snot saying anything new. But theres a difference between throwing on first down over the middle when the defense is paying coverage vs when they ACTUALLY VACATE THE MIDDLE AND LEAVE OUR WRs WIDE OPEN. There's no risk because there is no-one there. and if our qb cant assess risk at that basic level and see the obvious, then i dont know what to say about that. Theres also a diffenerece between being measured when you throw over the middle and actually believing that the head coach of an NFL team would take the playbook and X out every play that has a wr crossing and say 'dont you dare throw there' . Thats absurd. Especially when there are obviously routes that only work IF YOU THROW TO THE OPEN MAN DESIGNED TO RUN ACROSS THE MIDDLE. And we run them. And they are open.

And as to the unleashing Russ in the 4th - You know what Russ ISNT doing when he is unleashed? Being expected to make reads on time and get the ball out on time to spots on the field where WR's are designed to be (and often are). He just breaks pocket and buy time until theres a break in coverage.

Look. Is the blocking perfect? no
Is the playcalling always perfect? no

But this pass that everyone gives Russ when its obvious he isnt making even basic football reads and instead either holding the ball or waiting for the highlight bomb to DK to break open is rediculous. We arent running an 'on schedule' offense that gets the ball out when it needs to come out. And we arent utilizing all of the field. I just cant ignore my eyes and put that all on the coaches. Russ isnt playing well. Isnt seeing the field. And is giving up what the defense is giving us in favor of the Hero ball.

keasley45

Reaction score
renofox":21a787ll said:
That picture shows alot. 6 guys blocking, 5 guys rushing. And one of the 5 is unblocked - AGAIN! We've been seeing that way too often, and we've been seeing it for years.

Our defense is lucky to do this once a game. Other teams defenses seem to get it 4-5 times every single game we play.

I hear you. but it shouldnt have even mattered. that play was an easy 25 yard gain or more and instead it was a 8 yard loss. You have to take what the defense gives you.

John63

Reaction score
keasley45":2jw4gmvk said:
John63":2jw4gmvk said:
keasley45":2jw4gmvk said:

TE comes in to chip.

Chips the DE

Russ never looked at the TE. He never intended to even go there. His entire read was downfield where there was zero chance of completing the play. Zero. Its not rocket science to know where your open guy is going to be and put yourself in a position to get the ball there.

And the idea that Russ is soooo absolutley subservient to Pete'e every whim that he will flat out ignore basic QB reads is absurd. Quite frankly, if thats the case and he just waltz out there and gives up half the field and half the plays because coach said so, then he's just as much of the issue as anyone else. He's a 9 year vet. And there's a ton of evidence on tape that the dude just isnt playing the whole field.

Again the question is was that his choice or Pcs.. Given we know he has looked at Te and quick passing see games 105, the answer is simple PC who has said hates short passers.

John63

Reaction score
keasley45":3cvv0bw5 said:
renofox":3cvv0bw5 said:

I hear you. but it shouldnt have even mattered. that play was an easy 25 yard gain or more and instead it was a 8 yard loss. You have to take what the defense gives you.

again why, you are assuming it is Russ, the reality is he might be getting told my PC not to. We just dont know. Also the Te never looks back till Wilson has already been sacked, What good would it have been. Also how do you know he was supposed to be out there. Maybe he blew the play and was supposed to stay in and bock but messed up so went out for pass. Again you make a lot of assumptions but have no way of knowing. IN fact the reality that Wilson never looks there, and I am presuming, makes one think the Te was not supposed to be there.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Russ's problem this year is that they "let him cook", and he was amazing and then all the MVP talk went to his head so instead of making his great plays organically, he tried to force it. He started to try and hit homeruns every time when the D was offering him singles because he was trying to keep up with Mahomes in the MVP convo.

But when you force things, you get sacked and produce INTs, and that's what happened. Instead of making personnel/scheming decisions that were designed to help get Russell back into his groove, our scheme went back to our usual Pete Carroll style of plays designed to get 3 yards at a time (which, if you do your math right, you realize doesn't equal a first down in three plays).

So now, Russell only gets to do anything on either third and more than 3 (when the defense knows he has to throw) or in the 4th quarter when we're down (when the defense also knows he has to throw), which is sub-optimal from the ability of our offense to make things work but ALSO has the unfortunate side effect of actually reinforcing the 'look for the homerun' mindset that sidetracked Russell's season to begin with.

keasley45

Reaction score
John63":3birtsiv said:
keasley45":3birtsiv said:
renofox":3birtsiv said:

again why, you are assuming it is Russ, the reality is he might be getting told my PC not to. We just dont know. Also the Te never looks back till Wilson has already been sacked, What good would it have been. Also how do you know he was supposed to be out there. Maybe he blew the play and was supposed to stay in and bock but messed up so went out for pass. Again you make a lot of assumptions but have no way of knowing. IN fact the reality that Wilson never looks there, and I am presuming, makes one think the Te was not supposed to be there.

Seriously? So now the directive from Pete is even when you count up the defensive players pre snap and you know that your guy will be wide open, DONT THROW IT! Seriously.

But here's another one. Tell me who this is on. Next possession.

This play should be an easy crosser for a first down. basic play. basic read.

50821185343 df8710460020210110_132728 by J_Otte, on Flickr

Tyler goes in motion and ultimately runs an out and up. Russ has the option to either hit him on the out or lob it over on the up.

50821185178 a9db0e443220210110_132751 by J_Otte, on Flickr
Russ roles to his left (smart to move the pocket so the playcall is working to offset the rush). you can see DK coming open across the middle

50821931981 e9cc217ec620210110_132816 by J_Otte, on Flickr

DK is even more open as the LB has dropped himself completely out of the play.

50821931981 e9cc217ec620210110_132816 by J_Otte, on Flickr
The ball should be gone here.

50821931676 9c38b7208920210110_132838 by J_Otte, on Flickr

DK has been open now for 3 or 4 strides. Russ can easily zip the ball in but holds it. Why? he looks like he looking for the deep ball to Swain. Instead, DK just sits. Waiting.

And instead of throwing the ball for a first down, inexplicably scrambles into the pocket to his right!

50821931601 2fff85da1720210110_132853 by J_Otte, on Flickr

And is sacked. Note that again, this play worked EXACTLY as it should have. the protection was there, we had DK on LB and Russ refused to throw the ball to a wide open, record breaking WR 8 yeards in front of him who had 4 yards of separation.

Is that Pete too?

This play is even more frustrating in real time because you can see DK wondering what the deal is and you can actually see how long he had to throw the ball and make the read. He just didnt take the easy play. thats not the O-line. Not Pete. Not Schotty. thats Russ. and i can fill this thread with a dozen more examples, just from yesterday.