Russell and Rawls - The start of something special?

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Coincidence does not prove causation.

There are lots of factors in how a team plays, not the lease of which is the strength of the opponent which isn't even being considered here.

Pittsburgh has the 30th-ranked pass defense. San Francisco has the 28th. Detroit's is 17th. The only one rating well is Chicago at #4.

How are they for rushing? 8th, 25th, 22nd, and 30th, respectively.

So there's another coincidence: The games in which our offense has performed best have been against poor defenses.

Smellyman

Reaction score
sutz":3bzhvnbb said:
I also think that Beast sitting out basically all of pre-season came back to bite us. He got off to a really slow start this year, and I think getting 1 or 2 carries per game in pre-season doesn't get him ready for the regular season. He's a great athlete, or has been one, but he's no Walter Jones. I think he needs more work in pre-season. I'm not callling for him to work full games, but he should get more than 8-10 carries in 4 pre games IMHO.

Love Rawls. Have loved him since the first few times I watched him play. He runs with a Beast-like attitude, with an extra step or so of speed.

And to ward off some possible criticism, this does not mean I think we should ignore the RB position come next draft. Actually, I think we're getting a bit thin now, depending on Marshawn's situation after the end of this season. I'd be fine with picking up at least one more rookie RB for future development.

he has done that pretty much every year.

Ozzy

Reaction score
For what it's worth Wilson actually had less time to throw in this game than any other game this year. I don't know how PFF figures this out and if some of it is Wilson just getting it out quicker or not. Did the line play all that much better or did Wilson just get rid of it much faster. Hopefully someone can break down the all 22 tape.

Jville

Reaction score
austinslater25":tadg6fdj said:
For what it's worth Wilson actually had less time to throw in this game than any other game this year. I don't know how PFF figures this out and if some of it is Wilson just getting it out quicker or not. Did the line play all that much better or did Wilson just get rid of it much faster. Hopefully someone can break down the all 22 tape.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/671470572698787840[/tweet]

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
When comparing Lynch to Rawls, lynch is a back that basically makes his own holes if they aren't there by powering through or over defenders. Rawls is quicker, has better vision and is better at cutting towards an opening.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Here's a crazy thought: Rawls, this unknown college nonstarter who went undrafted, consistently putting up numbers as good as Gurley's and Gordon's over the next decade plus. And he's already looking pretty good.

Damn what a heck of an eye for potential Schneider possesses.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
DavidSeven":39oeaulu said:
I'm not sure the inclusion of Rawls is the big factor here. I think Russ may just feel a bit more free when Lynch isn't in the game.

Now hear me out. Lynch is the most individually talented player on this offense, but you wonder if Russ can really call the shots if Beastmode is in the game. With Rawls (or any other RB), there is no pressure to appease the offense's "big dog" because Russ takes that mantle when Lynch isn't playing.

There were two games last year that Lynch sat-out to start due to illness: road games against the Redskins and Cardinals. Arguably, Russ's two best games last year. In Week 2, when we needed Russ to get going against Green Bay, what did we do? We pulled Lynch and had Russ throw all over the field. It was the only time our offense (and Russell) looked good that week.

We should just clone Kevin Smith and run his clones at every WR position. After all, can't have actual talent on the field or Wilson won't feel free to throw the ball. :D

DavidSeven

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":22dfm2vq said:
We should just clone Kevin Smith and run his clones at every WR position.

Is that not what we've been doing the last few years?

BullHawk33

Reaction score
I like to have my cake and eat it too.

I would love to see Lynch and Rawls both together, healthy for the playoffs. Yeah, this could be the start of something special and we all know we love a great story about a player passed over hitting the mark around here, but I think it is so much better with Lynch supporting the story.

I can't wait to get the Beast back and that is no reflection on Rawls.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1mddbich said:
I'm not sure the inclusion of Rawls is the big factor here. I think Russ may just feel a bit more free when Lynch isn't in the game.

Now hear me out. Lynch is the most individually talented player on this offense, but you wonder if Russ can really call the shots if Beastmode is in the game. With Rawls (or any other RB), there is no pressure to appease the offense's "big dog" because Russ takes that mantle when Lynch isn't playing.

There were two games last year that Lynch sat-out to start due to illness: road games against the Redskins and Cardinals. Arguably, Russ's two best games last year. In Week 2, when we needed Russ to get going against Green Bay, what did we do? We pulled Lynch and had Russ throw all over the field. It was the only time our offense (and Russell) looked good that week.

That's a good point. Basically Rawls is the sidekick to Wilson; yet Wilson was the sidekick to Lynch.

When Rawls is in there, it's Wilson's offense. When Lynch is in there, it's Lynch's offense.

Additionally, I do think that Rawls is a better RB at this moment in time than Lynch. Maybe not in a vacuum, but in terms of the chemistry with the rest of the offense, Rawls has it right now, and Lynch does not.

mrt144

Reaction score
kearly":2diy1i7i said:
DavidSeven":2diy1i7i said:

That's a good point. Basically Rawls is the sidekick to Wilson; yet Wilson was the sidekick to Lynch.

When Rawls is in there, it's Wilson's offense. When Lynch is in there, it's Lynch's offense.

Additionally, I do think that Rawls is a better RB at this moment in time than Lynch. Maybe not in a vacuum, but in terms of the chemistry with the rest of the offense, Rawls has it right now, and Lynch does not.

Can't disagree with this - it's one of those things that gives me hope for, of all people, Bevell because I think this can be a great learning and career defining experience.

Tical21

Reaction score
I'm not willing to go down this road yet. For the most part, Lynch has played against the hardest defenses on our schedule and Rawls has drawn the softest. I thought he left quite a few yards on the field last week. Don't get me wrong at all, I am really stoked for Rawls. I just need to see him against Arizona/Carolina types before I'm ready to say he's a better player than Lynch. I just can't go there.

Seafan

Reaction score
I think Rawls is pretty good in I formation. He's shifty and quick which this line needs back there. He's actually stronger than he looks which has has shown at the goal line.

If Russell continues to be a dual threat than Rawls will have success. They can be great together. Russell wasn't bringing it early this season and Marshawn didn't have a chance.

Latest posts