Russell signs for 4 years 87.6mil (New Main Wilson Thread)

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
StoneCold":2r3bdt14 said:
This made me laugh.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/07/russell ... e-seahawks

What will they say when we get back to the SB? :)

SC

And this is when I knew the guy who wrote that was an idiot. :34853_doh:

But to do that, the ‘Hawks had to overpay a very good QB who, thanks to a phenomenal defense, great offensive line....

Update, I don' think his article went over too well.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JohnFerensen/status/627170830242353152[/tweet]

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Did he really say Great offensive line? Is it me needing new glasses? He couldn't possibly be that stupid could he?

StoneCold

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":384vetgz said:
StoneCold":384vetgz said:
This made me laugh.

SC

But to do that, the ‘Hawks had to overpay a very good QB who, thanks to a phenomenal defense, great offensive line....

Ha, that would have been funny, but it turns out he only changed his account name.

Still a moron and still around.

https://twitter.com/ChrisChaseFTW/with_replies

SC

JesterHawk

Reaction score
If you check out that guys twitter feed he covers tennis mostly and a little bit of golf. Why is he writing about football? I'm not sure he could tell you the two main colors that one would find on a football without looking it up.

rideaducati

Reaction score
StoneCold":177mzsvi said:
twisted_steel2":177mzsvi said:
StoneCold":177mzsvi said:
This made me laugh.

SC

Ha, that would have been funny, but it turns out he only changed his account name.

SC

Who the hell is Chris Chase?

ducks41468

Reaction score
rideaducati":1hgy6xw2 said:
StoneCold":1hgy6xw2 said:
twisted_steel2":1hgy6xw2 said:
StoneCold":1hgy6xw2 said:
This made me laugh.

SC

SC

If this is the Chris Chase that I think it is, it's a guy who used to write for Yahoo and was ridiculed for being the absolutely worst writer on the Internet, to the point that his name became a running joke across the Yahoo comment sections.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
ducks41468":1aqfhgsa said:
rideaducati":1aqfhgsa said:

If this is the Chris Chase that I think it is, it's a guy who used to write for Yahoo and was ridiculed for being the absolutely worst writer on the Internet, to the point that his name became a running joke across the Yahoo comment sections.

THANK YOU! I was trying to figure out where I knew that name from. Yes, he was AWFUL as a writer for Yahoo and the best parts of every article he wrote would be the comments of people bashing him for his poor writing and research skills.

sutz

Reaction score
Late to the party, but oh well.

1. I think Russ had plenty of leverage and he won one very important concession from the team. The 4 year term. this works well for him in that he will negotiate again, hopefully on a very successful career in 4 years, where the team would prefer to delay re-negotiations for 6-7 years. Length of contract is always a big issue.

2. Overall, sounds like an excellent deal for both team and Russ.

So glad this is done. :th2thumbs:

NINEster

Reaction score
rideaducati":2if4hq4o said:
HawkFan72":2if4hq4o said:
Sports Hernia":2if4hq4o said:
Bitter":2if4hq4o said:
Hate to break it to everyone, but this is really bad for Seattle. You can go to webzone for repeated confirmation of this.
Bad for them. :lol:

I'm sure they would say it's just as bad if he signed this deal, or if he signed a 5 year $150 million deal with $100 million guaranteed.

They had already made up their minds it was going to be a bad deal before it was even signed.

Signing Russell at $21.9/year is a better deal than Keeporpick at $17 million/year...I say $17 because there is no way that Keeporpick makes the pro-bowl or wins a Super Bowl to escalate his contract to the faux $19 million.

History will be the judge of the values of those contracts.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2eg3lt0o said:
Sports Hernia":2eg3lt0o said:
Bitter":2eg3lt0o said:
Hate to break it to everyone, but this is really bad for Seattle. You can go to webzone for repeated confirmation of this.

I'm sure they would say it's just as bad if he signed this deal, or if he signed a 5 year $150 million deal with $100 million guaranteed.

They had already made up their minds it was going to be a bad deal before it was even signed.
They could have signed Russ for 3 dollars (and zero cents) a year, and half of he denialzone troglodytes would say Seattle overpaid.

NINEster

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2hb90bt0 said:
HawkFan72":2hb90bt0 said:
Sports Hernia":2hb90bt0 said:
Bitter":2hb90bt0 said:

They could have signed Russ for 3 dollars (and zero cents) a year, and half of he denialzone troglodytes would say Seattle overpaid.

The reality is that it's a fair deal if Wilson can carry the team more so than he has already.

The fair argument is there that LEAGUEWIDE, all teams with $20 million QBs have areas of weakness more pronounced than the recent Seahawk and 49er squads parroting around a QB who barely made more than vet minimum.

That's no longer the case for either squad.

So you can win a lot of games with an expensive QB, but postseason dominance is no longer a sure thing.

rideaducati

Reaction score
NINEster":szlsww0t said:
rideaducati":szlsww0t said:
HawkFan72":szlsww0t said:
Sports Hernia":szlsww0t said:

Signing Russell at $21.9/year is a better deal than Keeporpick at $17 million/year...I say $17 because there is no way that Keeporpick makes the pro-bowl or wins a Super Bowl to escalate his contract to the faux $19 million.

History will be the judge of the values of those contracts.

I was judging the values based on history of both players. Keep hoping for different results in the future. :th2thumbs:

rideaducati

Reaction score
NINEster":q36lvhep said:
Sports Hernia":q36lvhep said:
HawkFan72":q36lvhep said:
Sports Hernia":q36lvhep said:

The reality is that it's a fair deal if Wilson can carry the team more so than he has already.

The fair argument is there that LEAGUEWIDE, all teams with $20 million QBs have areas of weakness more pronounced than the recent Seahawk and 49er squads parroting around a QB who barely made more than vet minimum.

That's no longer the case for either squad.

So you can win a lot of games with an expensive QB, but postseason dominance is no longer a sure thing.

Since most of Seattle's defense is signed through 2019, niner fans might be waiting quite a while before they see an 8-8 or worse finish from the Seahawks.

I do love how niner fans think the Seahawks are only a year behind the crashing back to the pack that the niners took... Signing Kaepernick wasn't the downfall of the niners, Baalke was/is.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
hawknation2015":bsgpfwx6 said:
drdiags":bsgpfwx6 said:
Hasselbeck":bsgpfwx6 said:
Hsu is saying that likely cap number for Wilson in 2015 is now $6.2M

Also said the only way Wags gets done this year is with a McDaniel cut or Mebane restructure

This was my thinking as well, since current cap numbers after the Wilson deal is thought to be 3.6 Mil heading into TC. That 5.5M Mebane is sitting on is a little tempting if you are the Seahawks FO.

I heard Hsu is an interview. His numbers are way off in terms of how much we have available.
Yeah I don't get the Hsu love. He's wrong more than he's right. He just tweets out every single possible scenario and then says "see I was right." And no I don't believe he has sources.

NINEster

Reaction score
rideaducati":23gi7dvh said:
Since most of Seattle's defense is signed through 2019, niner fans might be waiting quite a while before they see an 8-8 or worse finish from the Seahawks.

I do love how niner fans think the Seahawks are only a year behind the crashing back to the pack that the niners took... Signing Kaepernick wasn't the downfall of the niners, Baalke was/is.

So let's stop being a Hawk/Niner fan for one second here....let's talk in generalities:

Do you think Schneider and Carroll are so much better than the rest of the league that they can have a $20 million QB with a dominant defense and running game while Green Bay, New England, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, New York Giants, Denver Broncos, Baltimore Ravens cannot? Their GM/HC combo is garbage?

That is the crux of the argument plain and simple.

Many non 49er fans/hawk Haters are saying the exact same thing.

NINEster

Reaction score
rideaducati":cjw5tm07 said:
I was judging the values based on history of both players. Keep hoping for different results in the future. :th2thumbs:

If I judged both QBs on their playoff performances, I could make a very strong argument that the debate is STILL unsettled, maybe even tilted towards Kaepernick.

I'm sure Kaepernick would love to have played in a few more home playoff games (only *1* for him, with only *2* road games for Wilson), and perhaps anything but a 3 TD deficit after SB halftime would have been nice compared to Wilson not having to throw a TD pass until the game was already in the bag for the Hawks.

Despite all of this, Kap has played pretty damn well in the playoffs. His two rematch games in 2013 against Carolina and Seattle were easily better than the regular season matchups. His 2012 postseason he carried the team.

By the Hawks argument that Wilson just wins, you gotta put Kap above Cam Newton, Andy Dalton, even Andrew Luck because guess what compared to those guys, KAP WINS.

But naturally that argument won't fly here because it would contradict the hate for Kap.

So what is it?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
StoneCold":39ce2m31 said:
Chukarhawk":39ce2m31 said:
Told you this deal was getting done and Russell had very little leverage.

Orly? So what was the original offer?

SC
He doesn't KNOW any more than any of the rest of us do.
"Very little Leverage", is still leverage, and the truth is, it's a business transaction, and both sides have to do a little give and take, and that's exactly what took place.
Some of these guys were strutting their opinions, based off of Media rumors, while still a few others trying to justify their idea of how much Wilson SHOULD get paid, by downgrading his play.
Resentment was running amok, and some even calling him phony & greedy, without even KNOWING what he was asking for.
There was an assumption that he wasn't going to sign unless he was paid 25 million (I'm amazed that the number didn't get exaggerated to 35 mil. a Year.
This was a good value fit for both sides, and RW will remain a Seahawk for at least the next 5 Years, and hopefully a lot longer.