Russells XLIX post game interview

sc85sis

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1tumzn70 said:
SeahawksFanForever":1tumzn70 said:
When Giants beat the Patriots in the Superbowl, Tom Brady sat in his locker room for 40-45 minutes before heading out to the media. That cool down period is important for some athletes.
Not the really classy ones IMHO, Russell Wilson has enough self respect, respect for his competitors, and the game of Football....I doubt it took him very long to address the Media after a big loss.
It also doesn't take him long to shoulder the blame for ANY of his losses.
I don't have a problem with a guy taking time to collect his thoughts and calm down a bit after a big loss before talking to the press. Yeah, it'd be better not to keep them waiting, but some of us are more emotional than others. Brady is a very emotional, competitive guy. Better to calm down a bit than come out right away and be all sulky and snap at the press.

zhawk

Reaction score
some call Russell a robot, but I love the fact that, in game mode, you cannot tell what has happened by the expression on his face. that is one cool icicle. :th2thumbs:

chris98251

Reaction score
Russell is more like serial Killer when he is in a game cold and calculating, knows exactly what he wants and needs to do and has the balls to make it happen with respect that it rally's his team on offense and defense to make it happen.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Cam's double down, just shows how self-centered are his perceptions. When he's saying "You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser", he's essentially disparaging anyone that doesn't act as he does.

Now he could be struggling to express himself and used that quote to try to express how being a sore loser isn't necessarily a bad thing. But once again, there's a lot of me, me, me it what he says.

253hawk

Reaction score

Meanwhile, pre-game during the SB...Cam was voted the MVP. Just in case you missed it or something, he had shoes made up just to tell you. My god what an narcissistic, insufferable douche. His season stats are even embedded into the material.

Super Bowl Football 07f5b

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
I see it as a lack of perspective. Cam's behavior is a maturity issue.

After the initial press conference, I didn't agree with all the criticism and I didn't think he owed anyone an apology. I thought if he owned it, so be it. He came out later and did that, admitting he's a sore loser. Ok then.

But he tipped his cards when he took it a step further with "who's to say your way is right?" That attitude completely misses the point and shows the lack of perspective.

The fact is, all people are entitled to their emotions. When we watch several people over a long period of time experience similar circumstances, we also see how they respond. It's in our brains' hardwiring to compare and contrast things, to recognize patterns, discrepancies, and outliers.

We can identify several QBs who handled a SB loss with emotions and body language we recognize as requiring maturity and perspective. Cam's emotions and body language resembled that of a child who just got grounded for not doing his chores. Cam is an outlier in that regard.

So he owned his behavior; he knows who he is. But he still doesn't understand how his actions fit with the rest of the world around him. He either thinks he's above being compared to others, or in some way he exists in a vacuum independent of and unrelated to the others.

"Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser" ??? Russell Wilson handled the XLIX loss – one of the most shockingly disappointing finishes to a Super Bowl in 50 years – with great command of his emotions and a forward-thinking, positive perspective. He has a Super Bowl ring. Who's the loser, Cam?

253hawk

Reaction score
Exactly. Cam can be who he wants, that's fine. I don't think anyone is asking him to change, he's just an extreme outlier in a position that is predominantly played by classy, low-key guys, so it's easy to compare and contrast his attitude to that of the established norm. I thoroughly enjoy the whole act, because it makes the schadenfreude that much better when I see guys like him fail.

There's plenty of QB's who are flashy, maybe a little arrogant and cocky, but I can't think of one that's nearly as egotistical or narcissistic as Newton. He makes diva WR's look humble. Be who you want, cool, but don't whine and pout when people call you out on it (and imply that criticism of your character is based solely on racism) when you spend all season grand-standing every first down and basically taunt the other team 'legally' to no end.

And that Lombardi quote is dumb as hell. Everyone loses in a team sport at some point. You're only a 'loser' if you let a loss set you back. Wilson was half a minute away from going to the NFCCG in his rookie season. As soon as the game ended, he was excited for the next season because it was to be a new opportunity to apply himself and his development toward. And he won the SB the next year. Sometimes a loss can be better than a win...look at all of the 15-1 and 14-2 teams that steamrolled in the regular season and choked in the playoffs. I think going from 7-8-1 to 15-1 got the Panthers a little too complacent, especially since they were winning easily against bad teams and not winning close-fought wars against good teams.

lobohawk

Reaction score
It really comes down to a few things. At least as it relates to the fans' perspective.

We want the player to feel a loss like we do.
We want the player to desire victory as much or more than we do.
And we want the player to show some grace, even if we can't.

You might throw in a dash of confidence, but without the other three it's just annoying cockiness.

Russell has these down pretty well.