Ryder Cup

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Whatever the competition, I want Jordan Reed on my team. Holy moly, what a competitor.

I thoroughly enjoyed the entire weekend, such an awesome competition.........especially when you have emotional golfers like Rory, Reed, Sergio (even though I hate him) and Phil trading amazing shots playing and screaming it up with the crowd.

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":24h1i556 said:
Whatever the competition, I want Jordan Reed on my team. Holy moly, what a competitor.

I thoroughly enjoyed the entire weekend, such an awesome competition.........especially when you have emotional golfers like Rory, Reed, Sergio (even though I hate him) and Phil trading amazing shots playing and screaming it up with the crowd.

Do you mean Jordan Spieth or Patrick Reed?

I'm assuming Reed.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SeaToTheHawks":1f3f7hte said:
Sgt. Largent":1f3f7hte said:

I'm assuming Reed.

lol, yeah Reed. Spieth sucked.............his contribution was throwing his club like a toddler after hitting the 45th bad shot of his round yesterday.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":239ciuy7 said:
SeaToTheHawks":239ciuy7 said:
Sgt. Largent":239ciuy7 said:

I'm assuming Reed.

lol, yeah Reed. Spieth sucked.............his contribution was throwing his club like a toddler after hitting the 45th bad shot of his round yesterday.

4 under through 16 is sucked?

Stenson 6 under through 16.

Gotcha.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
DTexHawk":3vm0ax81 said:
Sgt. Largent":3vm0ax81 said:
SeaToTheHawks":3vm0ax81 said:
Sgt. Largent":3vm0ax81 said:

I'm assuming Reed.

4 under through 16 is sucked?

Stenson 6 under through 16.

Gotcha.

Is that why he was the lowest rated player on the entire team for the weekend and is now 0-4 in team singles?

http://www.foxsports.com/golf/gallery/r ... eth-100216

Hawker

Reaction score
I'll give Spieth a smidgen of slack as he is and likely will always be paired with the hottest player from team EU. Hell, even Fowler edged out a singles win (for those who don't know, Rickie Fowler has a fairly bad track record in match/singles play).

But Spieth was outplayed all 3 days. Reed really carried the Spieth/Reed pairing. Spieth was hitting some good shots, but his misses were crucially bad at times.

getnasty

Reaction score
I would love me some Jordan Reed on my fantasy team right now.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawker":2crh1oqd said:
I'll give Spieth a smidgen of slack as he is and likely will always be paired with the hottest player from team EU. Hell, even Fowler edged out a singles win (for those who don't know, Rickie Fowler has a fairly bad track record in match/singles play).

But Spieth was outplayed all 3 days. Reed really carried the Spieth/Reed pairing. Spieth was hitting some good shots, but his misses were crucially bad at times.

Thus my point, and I like Spieth, he's been one of the great stories of golf the past couple years.

But sorry, coming in he was suppose to be one of the top 1 or 2 US player suppose to help carry this team.....and Reed bailed his ass out. I also didn't like the tantrum club throwing, reminds people that what his critics keep saying are true. He's not the well mannered squeaky clean kid some in the media have portrayed him to be after his first major.

Rat

Reaction score
For having to go up against Stenson four times, I thought Spieth did alright. At the very least Walker, Holmes, and Kuchar were all worse. Nobody on the U.S. side was Lee Westwood bad. Russell Knox had to be laughing his ass off about how dreadful Westwood and Kaymer (two of the tree Captains picks) played.

Hawker

Reaction score
How Knox or Casey were not picked I'll never know. Darren Clarke's most glaring mistake.

I wasn't a big fan of the Holmes pick. He had a sub-par year by most standards. I would have went with a much more (year 2016) consistent Kevin Na or Kevin Kisner.

OP
OP
SomersetHawk

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Hawker":34o2ulvz said:
How Knox or Casey were not picked I'll never know. Darren Clarke's most glaring mistake.

I wasn't a big fan of the Holmes pick. He had a sub-par year by most standards. I would have went with a much more (year 2016) consistent Kevin Na or Kevin Kisner.

Casey's meh, Westy should never have got in over Knox but on reflection I guess you can't blame Clarke too much for the Kaymer pick. Fitzpatrick and Wood were there on merit but if he could have left them out I've no doubt he would have. The likes of Lowry, Beef Johnston and even Poulter (who like Reed is made for the Ryder cup) would have made it closer. I absolutely expect the former two to be in France next time.

Hawker

Reaction score
I'll admit I don't follow much of the European tour, but from what I saw, Lowry did not have that great of a year (in US events) nor did Poulter. Andrew Johnston has to be the most likeable guy on tour. I want to fly across the pond just to have a beer with Beef! But I have to disagree about Casey - he was on fire over the last 6 events. He single-handed screwed my fantasy golf standings, haha. I couldn't believe he didn't get the nod.

OP
OP
SomersetHawk

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Hawker":2ur5ll8m said:
I'll admit I don't follow much of the European tour, but from what I saw, Lowry did not have that great of a year (in US events) nor did Poulter. Andrew Johnston has to be the most likeable guy on tour. I want to fly across the pond just to have a beer with Beef! But I have to disagree about Casey - he was on fire over the last 6 events. He single-handed screwed my fantasy golf standings, haha. I couldn't believe he didn't get the nod.

Clarke had the perfect opportunity to negate some of the American support by taking Beef; who had a decent year. He'd have been the most cheered for/popular guy there, and he'd have been in blue.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
the Euro criticism I don't understand was Westwood, isn't he like top 10 on the Euro tour right now?

IMO it's easy to criticize picks after the fact, god knows we Americans burn our team captains at the stake after every loss.

Neither US captain's picks Holmes or Fowler did particularly well, so IMO it's not like this Ryder Cup was so close the Captain picks were the deciding factor. 17-11 is a pretty good beatdown, it was just the US's time to break the streak, and didn't have a lot to do with the wrong choices by Clarke.

Rat

Reaction score
Hawker":olkr07mi said:

Paul Casey was ineligible because he passed on European Tour membership this year. He would have been a no-brainer over Westwood if he had been eligible.

I was OK with Holmes, he has shown up at the bigger events this year and with Hazeltine being such a long course, his length was an asset. It wasn't his best week, although he drew some very difficult matchups (He had the Thomas Pieters buzzsaw in singles, and in fourball, he and Ryan Moore drew Sergio and Rafa Cabrera-Bello). I thought Justin Thomas should have made it ahead of Matt Kuchar. Kuchar racks up top 10s like they're nothing, but I just don't trust him to make the shots when they're really needed. Thomas' recent form has been better than Rickie Fowler's too, although I really wanted Fowler on the team for personality and chemistry purposes.

Rat

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":282m3ssh said:
Hawker":282m3ssh said:

Casey's meh, Westy should never have got in over Knox but on reflection I guess you can't blame Clarke too much for the Kaymer pick. Fitzpatrick and Wood were there on merit but if he could have left them out I've no doubt he would have. The likes of Lowry, Beef Johnston and even Poulter (who like Reed is made for the Ryder cup) would have made it closer. I absolutely expect the former two to be in France next time.

Beef is awesome. Very excited that he earned a PGA Tour card for next year through the web.com finals.

Lowry has been pretty terrible since blowing that third round lead at the U.S. Open. Poulter would have been tempting with his ridiculous Ryder Cup record, but he's still rehabbing an injury from May (I'm not sure if he could have played, I thought it was a four-month injury), and his results have been so mediocre for the past year and a half, it may have been a tough sell anyway. It would have kinda been like Love III using a Captain's pick on Tiger, although Poulter has been much better at the Ryder Cup than Tiger.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Rat":2j01h2qh said:
Hawker":2j01h2qh said:

Paul Casey was ineligible because he passed on European Tour membership this year. He would have been a no-brainer over Westwood if he had been eligible.

I was OK with Holmes, he has shown up at the bigger events this year and with Hazeltine being such a long course, his length was an asset. It wasn't his best week, although he drew some very difficult matchups (He had the Thomas Pieters buzzsaw in singles, and in fourball, he and Ryan Moore drew Sergio and Rafa Cabrera-Bello). I thought Justin Thomas should have made it ahead of Matt Kuchar. Kuchar racks up top 10s like they're nothing, but I just don't trust him to make the shots when they're really needed. Thomas' recent form has been better than Rickie Fowler's too, although I really wanted Fowler on the team for personality and chemistry purposes.

Almost was not sure that Phil was gonna make it in. Kinda glad he did. Still one of the newer faces in the game for my age. Most of the other parts Rat said are spot on in my opinion.

Great reading on this thread to all that participated. Thanks.

OP
OP
SomersetHawk

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
I know there was some Pieters love at the Ryder cup so here's him driving the green on a 407 yard par four today. Made all the more amusing by it rolling past guys waiting to take their third.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/EuropeanTour/status/784025349801717760[/tweet]

DTexHawk

Reaction score
Somerset,

Great clip. Really enjoyed watching Pieters and figure he will be around for years.

I do have a question;

What percentage of Euro golfers come to US for collegiate school/golf? Son of a friend played D-1 golf and his team had 3-4 from out of country playing golf.

Are there university programs in Europe or do others go the route of mini-tours?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
DTexHawk":mt8nzip2 said:
Are there university programs in Europe or do others go the route of mini-tours?

I read an article a while back about Luke Donald. He basically said it's a no brainer for European kids to come to the US for college and education if they're not going pro at 18 or 19.

Far more competitive, more tournaments/matches and more high level instruction. He said European University golf is basically like intramural where there's maybe a handful of tournaments a year, kids drive themselves and pay for everything themselves.