Saints fan dropping in...

Chemist54

Reaction score
What’s up 12th man nation? I stop by the forum ever now and then to see what’s going on. You guys are looking great right now. Excellent win last night, great win against the 49ers, defense has come to life and Wilson is playing lights out. Hard to believe that his name has never been mentioned for MVP. Just wanted to get your thoughts on how you guys think these playoffs/seeding will shake out? Tough game against the whiners for us this Sunday. My HATRED for them runs deep, so I’m hoping we destroy them. I can tell you guys one thing though...I hope we keep the #1 seed because I DO NOT want to travel up there to CenturyLink. Your hawks are a different team since we played them last with Teddy at QB. It’s tough place to play and win and you guys are LOUD. Although we lost the last time I went there, it was an awesome experience. My ears rang for 2 days after the game. Amazing environment. Anyway, just wanted to get your thoughts on how things will play out. Nothing but respect from this Who Dat to your team and fan base. Hope to see you guys in the playoffs...in the dome of course!

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Toughest game in Hawks and Saints schedules is the 49ers, and they are both road games for the 49ers.

I think I could see both the Saints and Hawks finishing 13-3 at this point - and the Saints own the tiebreaker.

So, my 'guess' would be Saints #1, Hawks #2. But that's only my guess. 8)

And, with Hawk's away record being amazing this season, I'd almost, but not quite - prefer to travel to any potential NFCCG matchup. Almost.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I see your major obstacle being your QB style of play. The only games that front 4 had problems against were the Cards and us and we both have mobile QBs. If your main threat is Kamara, you need another one to distract these guys.

Juice and/or Kittle weren't available for the Cards/SEA games that pressured Jimmy G, and they are notoriously difficult to defend against especially when they're both in play. We can't use our own win against them to predict Week 17, and I'm perplexed as to how to stop them then.

Optimus25

Reaction score
I don't think any discussions about playoff seedings are fruitful until after this week. You and us both have games that basically dictate everything for the playoff picture.

FWIW, i think you guys are going to lose, and lose bad. Their defense is so much faster than anything you've seen to date.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Optimus25":3n5aumut said:
I don't think any discussions about playoff seedings are fruitful until after this week. You and us both have games that basically dictate everything for the playoff picture.

FWIW, i think you guys are going to lose, and lose bad. Their defense is so much faster than anything you've seen to date.

Saints D is no slouch either.

OP
OP
C

Chemist54

Reaction score
I agree with the QB situation and us not having a mobile quarterback. I’d like to see a heavy dose of Kamara and and pounding the rock Murray. But, I’d love to see the read option with Taysom Hill. Kid is a Swiss Army knife and can throw the ball much better than last year. He gives us a dynamic we otherwise wouldn’t have. The key is what happens in the trenches, our O-line has to play their best game and our penalties have to be kept at a minimum. I think the game stays close and we come out on top in OT. Going to be a war. Hope you guys take care of business to keep that #2 seed and we get a showdown in the dome.

OP
OP
C

Chemist54

Reaction score
ivotuk":2pkx9hwn said:
Terron Armstead going to be available Sunday?

As far as I know, he is OUT. We’re also missing Andrus Peat at guard. We’ve got a few guys out with injuries now...Kamara isnt 100% either, same with Lattimore. It’s going to be a hard fought win or a long, miserable day ending with a loss.

Fade

Reaction score
Here is the cliff notes version of what has changed:

The Seahawks have changed on defense & offense in the last month with 1 key player on both sides.

Defensively, adding Diggs has transformed the defense back into what Seahawks defenses should look like. He has filled the Earl Thomas void, so now they can properly play single high, and smother teams.

Offensively, the Seahawks former 1st rd RB, Penny, has decided he is bored of Fortnight, and stopped eating McDonald's (true story), and re-dedicated himself to football. He has lost 10Ibs, and is another gear faster than anyone on the field. Giving Seattle a 2-headed monster at RB, now paired with Carson.

If the Saints want to retain their #1 Seed they are just going to have to keep winning. If they lose just 1 time it could very well cost them the #1 Seed.

I like either the Saints or the Seahawks to represent the NFC in the Superbowl. :irishdrinkers:

Erebus

Reaction score
Chemist54":38tohn0f said:
Excellent win last night, great win against the 49ers, defense has come to life and Wilson is playing lights out. Hard to believe that his name has never been mentioned for MVP.

You must not have been paying attention. He was widely regarded as the front runner for MVP for about six weeks in October and early November until Lamar Jackson surpassed him.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
Fade":30fdp7la said:
Here is the cliff notes version of what has changed:

The Seahawks have changed on defense & offense in the last month with 1 key player on both sides.

Defensively, adding Diggs has transformed the defense back into what Seahawks defenses should look like. He has filled the Earl Thomas void, so now they can properly play single high, and smother teams.

Offensively, the Seahawks former 1st rd RB, Penny, has decided he is bored of Fortnight, and stopped eating McDonald's (true story), and re-dedicated himself to football. He has lost 10Ibs, and is another gear faster than anyone on the field. Giving Seattle a 2-headed monster at RB, now paired with Carson.

If the Saints want to retain their #1 Seed they are just going to have to keep winning. If they lose just 1 time it could very well cost them the #1 Seed.

I like either the Saints or the Seahawks to represent the NFC in the Superbowl. :irishdrinkers:

Can the NFL just have the Saints switch conferences for the postseason so that we can see a Wilson/Brees Superb Owl?

olyfan63

Reaction score
Kamara not 100% for 49ers? Ouch. Kamara is so good, so elusive, so strong, I did not realize just how good he was until seeing him shred the Hawks defense in our loss a few weeks back. It's one thing to see his highlights against other teams, and see Deion calling him on the phone, but a whole different thing to see him make our D miss tackles over and over again.

We always focus on Brees and the amazing Saints offense, Michael Thomas, and the Saints seeming ability to pass the ball down the field at will when they need to, and get distracted from how good the Saints defense is. If you guys beat the 49ers, it will be because your defense played excellent, stopped the run, and got pressure on Jimmy G and made him collapse under pressure like a house of cards, and gotten a couple turnovers. Then all your offense has to do is score a couple-three times and not turn the ball over. I know your D has the ability to do all that; just need to bring it for the game.

It will be a war... those guys are tough, but so is your team. I will be rooting for the Saints, for sure. Geaux Saints!

Mad Dog

Reaction score
The thing about beating the Niners is you have to match their intensity and toughness. They will come at you fast and hard and if you aren't ready it can overwhelm teams. GB just got totally smoked because they couldn't rise to that level.

The two losses by the Niners looked like an all out war. Baltimore and Seattle matched them and it was some heavy weight slugfests.

NO has no chance if they don't come out with that mindset. SF will punch teams right in the mouth and watch their knees buckle. Better be prepared to swing back.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Nice post and great description Mad Dog. That sure matches what I've seen.
And the 49ers are *consistent* in bringing that energy, every game, all the time.
I saw it last year at the end of the season too, in that road game at Levis.
Seems to be an effect of Shanahan's coaching and culture.

chris98251

Reaction score
olyfan63":2vjxt16x said:
And the 49ers are *consistent* in bringing that energy, every game, all the time.

Not Shanahans, Lynch, if you seen him play much as part of the Bucs and then Denver that was a hallmark of how they played physical and punch you and keep punching.

olyfan63

Reaction score
chris98251":2exqniya said:
olyfan63":2exqniya said:

Not Shanahans, Lynch, if you seen him play much as part of the Bucs and then Denver that was a hallmark of how they played physical and punch you and keep punching.

I'm also giving Kyle some implicit credit for his dad Mike's way of playing. Terrell Davis, remember him? Remember the smash-mouth running game Broncos teams that finally won 2 Super Bowls at the end of John Elway's career?

As far as John Lynch as 49ers GM, the verdict is in, from the SF area media: FIRE JOHN LYNCH.
https://www.pressdemocrat.com/sports/90 ... hn?sba=AAS
"Fire John Lynch. Fire him in a month. Fire him next Tuesday. Doesn’t matter. Just fire him soon and hire a new general manager, someone with experience. Someone who knows what he’s doing."

I do absolutely grant your point about John Lynch the player. Certainly as part of that Tampa D. And I think it's fair, by extension, to say that when Coach Kyle Shanahan asks GM John Lynch to go get him some tough, physical football players, GM Lynch is going to be all-in on getting Shanahan the type of players he asks for.

Might be that KS/JL are a hand-in-glove team like PC/JS. That would suck; I don't have the capability, however, to drive a wedge or poison that KS/JL relationship, so I hope they can do that on their own. The Press-Democrat article above did seem like a promising start, though. The article says his drafts have sucked, that they had horrible drafts in 2017 and 2018. I'll pose this one to our 49er fans and ask how they see it.

My bias is to give the coach the credit to the coach for the environment and culture that leads to on-field energy and intensity. A good GM who is on the same page for player acquisition certainly is a key part of creating that environment.

UPDATE: Topic Posted. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=160040