Saints Fans have Figured us Out

El Caliente

Reaction score
rideaducati":1vd8rw8t said:
That was amusing. He seems to almost have himself believing that the Aint's can beat Seattle. Funny thing is, the Aint's don't even play the Seahawks this year. Seattle wins because they're in opponent's heads long before the game is played. I think they ought to worry about making the playoffs before worrying about a match up that can't happen prior to the playoffs.

As previously stated, that poster doesn't speak for Saints fans. Every fan base has the outliers (guy that thinks his team will go 16-0). By and large we all know after week 1 we have some work to do, and we all realize we don't need to worry about Seattle as they aren't on our schedule. We are pretty certain that we will make the playoffs, and some say we will win the entire thing, but by and large its a "one game at a time" approach by our fans.

I am here because I think that the 'Hawks are our only threat between us and another Lombardi, and I like believe that these msg. boards provide a better pulse of the situation than the ESPN's, CNNSI's, etc.

hawk45

Reaction score
El Caliente":2o7laqrc said:
Yeah, that OP must be from Da Parish or something.

As for pounding the ball, in that playoff game Lynch was pounding for 5.0 ypc (very impressive), while Ingram and Robinson were pounding the ball at a 4.1 ypc. The run game was there, but we went SOS and just needed to pass the ball...in poor conditions, to a Jimmy Graham who was having his lunch money taken by Sherman.

You guys are on another level right now, but I want to see where the season leads us both before we go and hand you guys the Lombardi.

Maybe you can run the ball against our front.

The point by peaches, however,
was that this yr with harvin the offense has the firepower to put up numbers while the d is putting the clamps on the opponent. Leading to having to throw from behind.

So running isn't an option, whether it has been working or not.

El Caliente

Reaction score
hawk45":3d9rk6j5 said:
El Caliente":3d9rk6j5 said:

As for pounding the ball, in that playoff game Lynch was pounding for 5.0 ypc (very impressive), while Ingram and Robinson were pounding the ball at a 4.1 ypc. The run game was there, but we went SOS and just needed to pass the ball...in poor conditions, to a Jimmy Graham who was having his lunch money taken by Sherman.

You guys are on another level right now, but I want to see where the season leads us both before we go and hand you guys the Lombardi.

was that this yr with harvin the offense has the firepower to put up numbers while the d is putting the clamps on the opponent. Leading to having to throw from behind.

We will have to wait and see if running the ball isn't an option. How big a sample size are you using to base your argument off of, one game? Let's revisit the topic of explosiveness after a few more games. I am not taking anything away from your offense, or saying our team is above the fray of your past opponents, I am just saying, give me a bigger sample size.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
What really keeps the Saints from us is themselves...Their egos are too high at key positions..Coach/QB and WR/TE..Be damned if they will commit to running the ball ..You won't ever see that ..It's live and die by the pass however fancy ways they find to do it..

El Caliente

Reaction score
IndyHawk":loyac610 said:
What really keeps the Saints from us is themselves...Their egos are too high at key positions..Coach/QB and WR/TE..Be damned if they will commit to running the ball ..You won't ever see that ..It's live and die by the pass however fancy ways they find to do it..

Agree 100%.

hawk45

Reaction score
El Caliente":cgtyivjs said:
hawk45":cgtyivjs said:
El Caliente":cgtyivjs said:

We will have to wait and see if running the ball isn't an option. How big a sample size are you using to base your argument off of, one game? Let's revisit the topic of explosiveness after a few more games. I am not taking anything away from your offense, or saying our team is above the fray of your past opponents, I am just saying, give me a bigger sample size.

The defense has been best in the league against the pass the last 2 yrs at least, historically great last year. So the sample size on that isn't an issue.

With respect tot he offense.... Winning 13 games without Harvin, then being unstoppable on offense the last 2 games with Harvin, I want to be cautious but with Lynch and Harvin and Wilson out there I just can't bring myself to be. The offense MUST be worlds better than last year with 3/5 of the OL hurt last year and no Harvin. I feel it's as certain as something can be without actually having a time machine to jump forward 15 weeks and find out. And if you watched Harvin's impact in those last 2 games I suspect you agree here.

Also...I watched the Saints defense play last week, if you can call anything that occurred in that game defense.

Stuff happens during the season, and the Saints are one of the very few teams in the threat category, but the threat category isn't very threatening.

El Caliente

Reaction score
hawk45":2c7793ri said:
El Caliente":2c7793ri said:
hawk45":2c7793ri said:
El Caliente":2c7793ri said:

The defense has been best in the league against the pass the last 2 yrs at least, historically great last year. So the sample size on that isn't an issue.

With respect tot he offense.... Winning 13 games without Harvin, then being unstoppable on offense the last 2 games with Harvin, I want to be cautious but with Lynch and Harvin and Wilson out there I just can't bring myself to be. The offense MUST be worlds better than last year with 3/5 of the OL hurt last year and no Harvin. I feel it's as certain as something can be without actually having a time machine to jump forward 15 weeks and find out. And if you watched Harvin's impact in those last 2 games I suspect you agree here.

Also...I watched the Saints defense play last week, if you can call anything that occurred in that game defense.

Stuff happens during the season, and the Saints are one of the very few teams in the threat category, but the threat category isn't very threatening.

I was speaking about the sample size of the explosive offense you are alluding to. You are essentially running on two games (though 2 spectacular games) one in which the opponent didn't know how Harvin would be used, and another where the defense has been suspect for some time. I am interested to see how your offense fares within your division where it seems everyone has a spectacular defense, and plays everyone very close.

kearly

Reaction score
IndyHawk":rha7tiih said:

This is a great point. It's going to sound like I'm disagreeing with you at first, but read on to the end:

Seattle was a pass happy team in 2010 with Hasselbeck and Bates. As they should have been, the 2010 Seahawks defense was an atrocity. Marshawn Lynch was averaging 3.4 yards per carry, and our OL was one of the worst in the league.

In 2011, the defense and running game both clicked in the 2nd half of the season, and that allowed Seattle to win games with running and defense. You need to have both.

The problem is, building a run game and building a nasty, non-finesse defense is really hard to do. We happen to have one of the most prominent visionaries in NFL history running our team, with some great positional coaches and assistants to help him out. Pete has made it look easy, but the fact is that there are only three defenses like Seattle's in the NFL right now (Seattle, Cincy, Carolina), four if you include a mending 49ers defense, maybe five if you include the Texans. And none of those teams, save the 49ers, have a physical running RB that also posts elite numbers in 2014.

Would the Saints be a better team if they had Brees pass the ball 25 times like Russell Wilson or CK? That seems dubious to me. Obviously that should be the goal, but the Saints don't have the peices. I think Khyri Robinson could be their physical Marshawn Lynch type back, but he's 3rd on their depth chart. And their defense is super-finesse.

Your overall point is correct. If the Saints want to contend seriously in the NFC, they need to get a physical defense and make Robinson as big a part of their gameplan as Brees. But that's of course assuming my high opinion of Robinson proves correct, or that the Saints OL could still run the ball in very obvious run situations. Basically, they still need a lot of changes on that team before they have a good reason to change their identity on offense.

But yeah, Pete only stuck with a Saints type of formula for one season, that first year, when he had to. The Saints should be falling over themselves to copy Seattle's D and physicality, but unfortunately for Saints fans they haven't.

hawk45

Reaction score
The offense will be tested within the division, yes. But the Saints aren't in the NFCW so I don't understand the relevance. We're talking about being explosive against the Saints, right?

We'll beat our divisional foes because the Rams have no QB again and Palmer lives to throw picks at us. San Fran I think will be tough as usual although perhaps, perhaps not as tough as last year (I feel like we say that every year and every year it's mistaken).

The Saints D isn't in the same stratosphere as those teams, or Carolina.

I do think the Saints at NO would be a fun matchup. If we had to travel there in the playoffs, it'd be...well certainly more interesting than a game at Century Link.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I totally dig the Saints fans that are part of this board. It wouldn't be the same without them. But I am also flattered that a community would give so much focus on how to beat the Seahawks.

I'm positive that GreySquatch and Payton have logged all those ideas and are getting ready to implement them in the playoffs, because if they want another shot they are going to have to earn the chance.