Schneider Presser/Clayton interview recap

DJrmb

Reaction score
Something else I heard on the radio today from Clayton I believe is that George Fant stayed in Seattle for the Off-season, opting not to go home, even though his first kid was just born, and training "like mad" at the VMAC every day to try and learn the position enough to win the starting job from whoever they have him competing against.

I will try to go back once they post all the audio form today and find the link to that. If that is indeed true I love hearing that. If anyone else heard that earlier today or has seen it mentioned online please feel free to add a link or something.

Edit to add link:

It's when Clayton and Gee Scott are talking at the very end (around the 40:30 mark). Gee Scott mentions that Fant stayed in Seattle and is working at the facilities every day.
http://sports.mynorthwest.com/category/podcast_player/?a=10016101&sid=1141&n=John Clayton

I think I might have also heard it on 950 KJR with a little more info, I'll see if I can find that link too.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
DJrmb":222vd11k said:
Something else I heard on the radio today from Clayton I believe is that George Fant stayed in Seattle for the Off-season, opting not to go home, even though his first kid was just born, and training "like mad" at the VMAC every day to try and learn the position enough to win the starting job from whoever they have him competing against.

I will try to go back once they post all the audio form today and find the link to that. If that is indeed true I love hearing that. If anyone else heard that earlier today or has seen it mentioned online please feel free to add a link or something.

Edit to add link:

It's when Clayton and Gee Scott are talking at the very end (around the 40:30 mark). Gee Scott mentions that Fant stayed in Seattle and is working at the facilities every day.
http://sports.mynorthwest.com/category/podcast_player/?a=10016101&sid=1141&n=John Clayton

I think I might have also heard it on 950 KJR with a little more info, I'll see if I can find that link too.

That tells me he is looking to become way more proficient at his job. He wants to be in the mix. NO BURGERS for YU is hiring. :stirthepot:

hawknation2017

Reaction score
It's always fascinating listening to Schneider talk about his philosophy and approach.

He mentioned one of the problems that can occur when you try to compare prospects with other players. That made me think of the similarities between Terry Poole & James Carpenter, as well as Rees Odhiambo & Alvin Bailey, or even Kristjan Sokoli & J.R. Sweezy. We may not have completely nailed those picks because we were too focused on replacing the physical characteristics of particular free agents.

I also liked that he mentioned a young corner stepping up for DeShawn Shead. Could that be DeAndre Elliot? Elliot is under the radar, but he has a chance to be a very good player for this team.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Good to hear that ET and Lockett are on track.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Man I am relieved to read this. I was afraid they would want to go into next year with the same guys. There are some decent o linemen on the market, way better than what was on the field last year. Whitworth is the guy in my mind. Well, I would rather they trade, but if they don't, and whitworth hits the market, he is the guy. A Joe Thomas trade is what I'm ultimately hoping for.

chris98251

Reaction score
If you believe anything at all this time a year from anyone talking about players your all expecting the check in the mail and not to have a surprise in your mouth.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Well if nothing else, it's good to hear ET and Lockett are making solid progress.

Somewhat of a strange comment in JS's unwavering admiration for Cable. I understand the idea of protecting the organization but it comes off as quite a reach to fend off any and all attacks on the OL or coaching staff.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Hard to remember the last time we went back-to-back seasons with the same OL. That alone has me hopeful. Ya can't just keep doing wholesale changes every season. As young as this group is, and as athletic as they are, they can't help but get better just by starting a second season with the same guys playing beside them. Further, the coaches will already have each player's position way-better-sorted by training camp. No OL losses to FA for like 3 seasons just adds to the continuity. That's the best approach for coming out of this rut, because OL talent is so sparse...and believe it or not, these youngsters have an upside. We are already set at Center, and I'm pretty sure the interior guys will catch up. The big Q is L and R tackle. Fant showed enough ability for Big Walt to personally help him, so there is that. Walt says that Fant just needs to 'get stronger' in the off-season and continue to grind. That leaves Gilliam, who seemed to finally be fully rebounded from his injury toward the end of the season. Hopefully he stays healthy this-coming season.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":3q5ec0zv said:
Man I am relieved to read this. I was afraid they would want to go into next year with the same guys. There are some decent o linemen on the market, way better than what was on the field last year. Whitworth is the guy in my mind. Well, I would rather they trade, but if they don't, and whitworth hits the market, he is the guy. A Joe Thomas trade is what I'm ultimately hoping for.

It....takes....time to develop OL. I hope they largely stick with the same guys. You can't just plug players in like you would on D. These guys have only played together for one season. It's not enough to make a call. Unbelievable that so many of you guys treat OL like it's plug-n-play. Keep the same group together. They are young and will only improve as they continue to play together. This isn't Madden FCOL.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I must say if there is one thing that worries me is that it is the apparent unwillingness to kick Ifedi outside to tackle. Not necessarily saying that is what should happen, but they drafted him to be a tackle and if he can't make the move out there this year that spells trouble for drafting another tackle and expecting them to go right into the tackle position. I would think the Hawks have to bring in a vet specifically into the RT position. Would be much more flexible if they felt they could bring in a guard or draft a guard and kick Ifedi outside.

Largent80

Reaction score
last year everyone including me said there was no way the line could be worse than the previous year.

Ha.

I was WRONG and so was everyone else, including the front office.

[youtube]WkqgDoo_eZE[/youtube]

RussB

Reaction score
Thats what i want to hear. Acknowledging the issue finally. I hope he means whitworth.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":1cl56n4y said:
Jimjones0384":1cl56n4y said:

It....takes....time to develop OL. I hope they largely stick with the same guys. You can't just plug players in like you would on D. These guys have only played together for one season. It's not enough to make a call. Unbelievable that so many of you guys treat OL like it's plug-n-play. Keep the same group together. They are young and will only improve as they continue to play together. This isn't Madden FCOL.

there is no doubt that a line gets better the more time they spend playing along side each other but I disagree about not being able to plug in players. You bring in talented proven lineman and the line will get better. And the more time those new pieces get together the better they will get. Look at Mack with Atlanta, came in plugged in and solidified that line. Unger stepped into Nola and was an instant upgrade and Brees loves him. You want continuity absolutely and you don't just replace for the sake of change cause your young line struggled but if there are real upgrades out there the idea that they could not step in and be an instant improvement and get better from there is just wrong.

kf3339

Reaction score
flmmkrz":1l8wpdkr said:
HawKnPeppa":1l8wpdkr said:
Jimjones0384":1l8wpdkr said:

there is no doubt that a line gets better the more time they spend playing along side each other but I disagree about not being able to plug in players. You bring in talented proven lineman and the line will get better. And the more time those new pieces get together the better they will get. Look at Mack with Atlanta, came in plugged in and solidified that line. Unger stepped into Nola and was an instant upgrade and Brees loves him. You want continuity absolutely and you don't just replace for the sake of change cause your young line struggled but if there are real upgrades out there the idea that they could not step in and be an instant improvement and get better from there is just wrong.

:ditto: