Schneider

vigilantgrrl

Reaction score
Seymour":1qktkoau said:
austinslater25":1qktkoau said:
Pete just talked about it in a recent interview. He has just as much say in the picks as JS does. I think that is part of the problem. You need one guy making the decisions. I do think JS is a really good GM I bet if asked off the record he would rather be making all the decisions and letting Pete coach. I could be completely wrong.

Like Largent said though I think this off season could be huge for Seattle.

Someone finally said it, this is just as much on Pete if not more so!

Schneider does the footwork to line up the prospects, but Pete has final say on who we draft as he is over Schneider on the org chart.

This> Pete is the problem. I bet he was the one who really wanted Malik McDowell.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
dopeboy206":31stussp said:
Pisses me off cause let's face it we have one of the least talented rosters in the NFL. For a 11-5 team how many players made the pro bowl?

The Pro Bowl is a terrible way to judge a team's roster and "least talented" is an overstatement, especially after all the midseason repair work Schneider did.

We do have a roster that's fairly green, because Schneider spent five drafts getting way too little done. We had a handful of studs (Lockett, Britt, Clark, Richardson), but virtually no depth, and you do need depth to go places in this league. Almost nobody from the later rounds made the team from 2013 all the way through 2017, and the few who did either fell to the injury bug (Jordan Hill, Jaye Howard) or showed up so poorly that they got cut only to bizarrely resurface as star RB's on other teams.

2018 was the first draft in which Schneider started getting his mojo back. Almost everyone from that draft is contributing in meaningful ways.

Schneider didn't think LJ Collier was more talented than others, he just had his favorite DL targets get snatched out from under his nose and grabbed the first leftover at the position. Blair, for his part, IS talented. Barton is close to starting, Haynes looks workable, and we all know about Metcalf. Things are trending up again for the personnel department, and not a moment too soon.

BASF

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":33wl3tbq said:
JS and PC draft like they coach. They lazily ignore the first half and try to come back in the second half.

In all seriousness I think JS and PC would rather have a 5th rounder succeed at a 3rd round level than a first rounder play at a first round level. If every draft expert said we should take Player X with a first round grade in the first round they will intentionally take a third round graded player in the first round to prove how much smarter they are. It is really stupid of them. Penny over Chubb? Just plain stupid.

We already had a Chubb style runner on the team in Carson. I know that the fans did not see what Carson would become, but Pete and Schneider certainly did. If you look at their combine results, Carson was a bit stronger with the lower body, while Chubb was stronger with the upper body. With a 0.05 difference in the forty yard dash, it's not like Chubb is that much better in the speed department. Not that anyone is ever perfect with their grades, but several people had Penny as a higher prospect grade than Chubb. Penny also had a lot less wear and tear on Chubb, who knows how long he can sustain his running style with a lot of carries.

xray

Reaction score
Seymour":3146tbw8 said:
austinslater25":3146tbw8 said:
Pete just talked about it in a recent interview. He has just as much say in the picks as JS does. I think that is part of the problem. You need one guy making the decisions. I do think JS is a really good GM I bet if asked off the record he would rather be making all the decisions and letting Pete coach. I could be completely wrong.

Like Largent said though I think this off season could be huge for Seattle.

Someone finally said it, this is just as much on Pete if not more so!

Schneider does the footwork to line up the prospects, but Pete has final say on who we draft as he is over Schneider on the org chart.

Carroll hired Schneider...not visa-versa...Carroll is Schneider's boss . I'm pretty sure that Carroll is the only HC in the league that reigns over the team GM ; other than Belichick who is HC & GM . Carroll has final word on everything .

Mad Dog

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":3ttw547l said:
JS and PC draft like they coach. They lazily ignore the first half and try to come back in the second half.

In all seriousness I think JS and PC would rather have a 5th rounder succeed at a 3rd round level than a first rounder play at a first round level. If every draft expert said we should take Player X with a first round grade in the first round they will intentionally take a third round graded player in the first round to prove how much smarter they are. It is really stupid of them. Penny over Chubb? Just plain stupid.

Chubb fell in the draft due to injury concerns. Saying it was stupid is using the advantage of hindsight. Guys that rip up their knees are always a concern, The fact that he has overcome that injury is great for him and the Browns but don't kid yourself that it could have blown up in their face and he could have ended up being Prosise v.2.0.

And these so-called "draft experts" are wrong far more than actual GM's. Otherwise they'd be heads of player scouting.
They never have access to interviews and medical records like teams do so they are just basing picks on college performances and the scouting combine numbers. It's a fun exercise but don't kid yourself that these guys know anything.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
knownone":38ux4i1e said:
I'm of the mind set that Seattle needs to rethink their draft strategy. Accumulating picks is great and it worked out on Metcalf and Dissly, but that might just be the exception. Look at a year like 2017, we had 6 picks in the first 3 rounds and only managed to draft 1 reliable starter. This is a team that is dire need of young difference makers, and it seems like the odds of finding those guys diminish as you trade further and further back in the draft.
Um....Like Richard Sherman in the 5th round?....Like Carlson in the 7th ?, there are a lot more, but I think you're overthinking, or underestimating :lol:

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Just a point of clarification to the OP:

Taking anyone ahead of Metcalf isn't an indication that JS thinks they were better players. The draft is a big game of chicken. If JS thinks he can still get Metcalf with the last pick of the 2nd round, then that's all he's going to spend to get him.