SEA reportedly interested in Mathews/Griffen

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Mistashoesta":3lqkqy26 said:
bigskydoc":3lqkqy26 said:
Please not Matthews. Not only do I have an intense disliking for the guy, I don't see where he serves a role in our new look defense. I guess he could be a backup, or maybe some sort of rotational piece. I just think we already have everything he would bring in younger, healthier packages. He would need to come super cheap.

Maybe we may grow to forgive and embrace him as the whiners have Sherman?? :stirthepot:

Sherman was many things, but he was not a cheapshot artist.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1b3nsysd said:
Plus side on Clay, if we signed him - at least he wouldn't be taking cheap shots at Wilson during games.

No, he'll take his cheap shots during practice!!

ivotuk

Reaction score

PateratoWilson

Reaction score
bigskydoc":lsqxmiue said:
Please not Matthews. Not only do I have an intense disliking for the guy, I don't see where he serves a role in our new look defense. I guess he could be a backup, or maybe some sort of rotational piece. I just think we already have everything he would bring in younger, healthier packages. He would need to come super cheap.

Correct. And the guy is a dick.

flv

Reaction score
Matthews played poorly for the Rams last year. Several of his sacks were due to QBs being chased into him. He was poor setting the edge and often took himself out of containment with long, deep looping routes into the backfield. The Rams are weak at LB and still don't want him at vet minimum.

He's done.

hawks85

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":3kf77uht said:
Mistashoesta":3kf77uht said:
There were reports of Seattle’s interest in the two defenders previously, but nothing ever materialized. Apparently since talks with Clowney and his team have gone nowhere, Seattle looks ready to move on.

Months after allowing star pass rusher Jadeveon Clowney to hit free agency, the Seahawks "appear to have moved on" from their 2019 trade acquisition, according to NFL Network's Mike Silver. And they've got two names on their radar as potential replacements, per Silver: Clay Matthews and Everson Griffen.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/seah ... er-report/

With reports that the team has apparently “moved on” from Clowney, I now fully expect to see him signed by the Seahawks by next week. :greetingsearthling: :snack:
Smoke, mirrors and misdirection.
People who know me in real life knows I am not a Clowney fan whatsoever. The dude is extremely overrated, but I agree with you. I just have a feeling Clowney is going to re-sign here. I don't know about next week tho. In Clowney's mind I'm not getting paid my 17-20mil per year so I'm sitting out training camp. Thats exactly what that dude is doing. I think Clowney re-signs here right before the first game.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
The origin of this "reported interest by Seattle" is a writer who has collected rumors and compiled them into an article that is his presumptive projection of the situation. It makes good fodder for discussion but in no way speaks for our FO intentions until they follow through as "advertised".

Rat

Reaction score
Bring them both in. I can't imagine any scenario where we're too strapped to sign Clay; how would he be able to demand anything right now?

AgentDib

Reaction score
We have the money to sign Clowney this evening if we wanted to do so. I know I've posted this a couple of times before, but when KC gave Frank Clark the $21m/year deal it was structured so that the cap hit was just $6.5m for the first year. It isn't a question of whether we can afford him.

What matters for us is whether the contract he wants is the best use of our scarce resources. Maybe we should put the same amount of money into multiple cheap vets instead; maybe it should go to an entirely different position group, and maybe Clowney will lower his price tag as we get further through training camp and nobody has paid what he is asking for.

hawks85

Reaction score
AgentDib":2aqvmkqu said:
We have the money to sign Clowney this evening if we wanted to do so. I know I've posted this a couple of times before, but when KC gave Frank Clark the $21m/year deal it was structured so that the cap hit was just $6.5m for the first year. It isn't a question of whether we can afford him.

What matters for us is whether the contract he wants is the best use of our scarce resources. Maybe we should put the same amount of money into multiple cheap vets instead; maybe it should go to an entirely different position group, and maybe Clowney will lower his price tag as we get further through training camp and nobody has paid what he is asking for.
Is everybody signed including the rookies. I think our cap space is like 9-10 mil

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Read on (other threads). As is posted multiple times elswhere on the board everyone on the current roster is signed and our current cap sits at approx 15.2 M. So we need to protect a certain amount as slush fund for unforeseen problems, but the $ is there, even if we have to rearrange a few bouquets, to make any deal we want to.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
AgentDib":1jgxesgz said:

We already know no one's giving Clowney the contract he wanted, which was 20M+ on a multi year deal. Thus why he's still a free agent.

Hell, no one's even giving him a one year 15M deal, which is what we offered him four months ago. He and his agent grossly misjudged the market, so all there's left to do for him is wait another couple of weeks and see which team gives him the most money on a one year deal.

All I know is I'm tired of talking about him, so I wish he'd just sign somewhere. I'd still love to have him back, I think our D with Dunbar and now Adams would be great with Clowney back. But either way, poop or get off the pot Clowney, enough already, no one's gonna magically come up with the 50+M you wanted in a bigtime deal.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
As much as I love him as a player, I'm right there too. Sick of hearing about it. Just sign somewhere, enough.

hawks85

Reaction score
Appyhawk":kejo5xcb said:
Read on (other threads). As is posted multiple times elswhere on the board everyone on the current roster is signed and our current cap sits at approx 15.2 M. So we need to protect a certain amount as slush fund for unforeseen problems, but the $ is there, even if we have to rearrange a few bouquets, to make any deal we want to.
Seattle needs to try and trade for Yannick. I dont know what we have left but I would try KJ and Olsen with some draft picks, or since Seattle refuses to use Blair then do Blair and KJ and some drafts picks. Hell I would even trade one of our RB along with it.

massari

Reaction score
Pay Clowney what he wants pls (17m APY), then sign DT Dareus and WR Gordon.

Would be great if they go all in this season by adding Griffen/Mathews with those three too.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
massari":2hoe9gbz said:
Pay Clowney what he wants pls (17m APY), then sign DT Dareus and WR Gordon.

Would be great if they go all in this season by adding Griffen/Mathews with those three too.

Cool idea, but where is the team going to acquire the cap money to do that with? I know you understand why this can’t happen.

At present there Is approximately just $15 million in available cap to acquire additional talent, This is the limit the team is allowed to spend on salaries. Clowney wants $20 million or thereabouts, Dareus will want about $10 million, or more. Gordon will be cheap if he’s even allowed to play, but will be more like $1 million. The team needs about $6 million for in season injury contingency. Griffen has signed with Dallas, and I can’t see Matthews signing for less than $5 million. Adding it up the bad news is more than double the money available, in fact the number is closing in on three times the money available.

Signing those players like this would involve some players being cut, who gets cut? Who redoes their contract so significantly that the team acquires $26 million in additional cap space? The team could massage their cap to fit Clowney if they chose but won’t pay an injury prone player $20 million per season. If they did so Clowney would need to take less this year than he got last year and signing him would screw up the ability to keep Diggs, and CB- Griffin who’s deals are up next season. Adams wants a major contract soon to make his acquisition worth the draft picks traded away.

There are other players I like to see the team acquire as well, but the team isn’t going to pay big money to those players now if the money they want creates a cap nightmare that results in the team being broken up or cap strapped going forward. They will continue to talk to available players and other teams about potential trades for players but only where numbers make sense to long term plan.

Something may get done and could be significant but it will involve some difficult choices. I remain hopeful for some DLine help too, like many others here.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawks85":3f1jyp0r said:
Appyhawk":3f1jyp0r said:
Seattle needs to try and trade for Yannick. I dont know what we have left but I would try KJ and Olsen with some draft picks, or since Seattle refuses to use Blair then do Blair and KJ and some drafts picks. Hell I would even trade one of our RB along with it.

Ahh yes, the ol' hey we'll trade a bunch of our not so good guys for your one really good guy.

I guarantee you John worked very hard at trying to get Yannick, but not only do the Jags want too much (1st rounder and multiple other picks), but Yannick also wants a new contract (20M+ a year).

So the combo of those two things we could not get past..........as well as every other team that wants him. Thus why he's still holding out in Jacksonville.

I'd rather give Clowney or Mathews a one year deal. The cupboards are already bare now with the Adams trade.

Latest posts