Seahawks-Clowney reunion not likely

springscohawk

Reaction score
I think Clowney reunion is highly likely.

Clowney needs to find out his top dollar value after doing physical exams with teams after Covid-19 stay at home orders lift and he can visit interested teams.

The Seahawks have not brought in backup QB, 'DT's, veteran RB, or nickel CB for competition . This tells me they are waiting for Clowney to find out his top dollar offer when health verified. Will another team offer higher that Seahawks are unwilling to match. I doubt it.

I think Seahawks would like to sign him for 2 year deal and not have to go through same dance again next year. Perhaps some other team will offer a higher one year deal and he doesn't return.

xray

Reaction score
I think that most of us want to turn the page on Clowney and look at the players the Hawks have on the team now . IMO

morgulon1

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3vvgpsvf said:
morgulon1":3vvgpsvf said:
hawkfan68":3vvgpsvf said:
WarHawks":3vvgpsvf said:
If he REALLY wanted to play here, he'd be here by now. Period. End of story.

Not necessarily. Jarran Reed did squat last year and still got a new contract which gives him $14M this season (which is a raise from his previous year). Why should Clowney take less? Clowney made $15M last season between the Seahawks and Texans. He's not going to stay for any amount lower than that. He shouldn't have to. Doesn't mean that he doesn't want to play here. Even Russell Wilson wouldn't take what he feels is bare minimum.

Jadeveon Clowney - https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/jadeveon-clowney-14410/cash-earnings/

Jarran Reed - https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/jarran-reed-18998/cash-earnings/

But Russell Wilson has never missed a game and is arguably one of the top couple of quarterbacks
In the league. You cant count on Clowney and he ended up with 3.5 sacks. He took over one game .
One.

He wants 18 million for that?
He wants top tier Defensive end money .

Do you actually watch games or review the stat line? With the statement you made, it seems the latter. He was the most keyed on player on the DL. He was the best player on that line. He took over more than just one game. He also took over the playoff game against the Eagles (with a core injury). Teams double teamed him and he was still able to be disruptive. Rasheem and QJeff's benefited from Clowney getting attention and double-teamed. He also had two interceptions for TDs. He was clearly in the top 2 or 3 of the defensive players on the team, if not the best. This is all with having to learn the system on the go and then getting injured. Playing with that injury, which would end the season for most players, for most of the latter half of the season. He was still making big impact even though his stats don't show it.He is the guy offenses have to gameplan for upfront. Without him, the Seahawks don't have that guy on the DL.

Reed got a raise to $14M for doing nothing. He produced more than Reed did last season and is only being offered the same or less. That's not justified at all. He may not be worth over $20M but he has done enough to warrant something around $17-18M range.

Leonard Williams is earning $16M/yr and produced .5 sacks last season. In his best season (thus far in his career), only had 7 sacks.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/leonard-williams-16730/stats-valuation/

No man. I watch the games (thanks for the jab anyways haha)
Part of your argument for aigning Clowney is that some other team is over paying for a guy that didnt produce. Bad logic IMHO. I guess the people who make these decisions are going to have to decide if its worth bringing him back.

A couple of posts above had a great idea of a base salary of 13 m with incentives up to 18 m
If he produces. Sorry i didnt catch who posted it
But that seems to make a lot of sense.

*Get nasty said that

cjamesg

Reaction score
At this point, I would rather the Seahawks move on from Clowney and either sign Griffin, or make a move to trade for Yannick Ngokoue (preferably both). Ngokoue may be the better pure pash rusher anyways and would certainly fit our gaping hole at that position all while filling a long-term need.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
cjamesg":ohylo9pt said:
At this point, I would rather the Seahawks move on from Clowney and either sign Griffin, or make a move to trade for Yannick Ngokoue (preferably both). Ngokoue may be the better pure pash rusher anyways and would certainly fit our gaping hole at that position all while filling a long-term need.

The cost for Ngakoue is higher than Clowney. Not only do they have to trade high picks for him, they would need to sign him to a contract. He wants something close to $20M/yr too.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
With the drafting of Brooks and Taylor, I don't see where Ngakoue really fits into the overall scheme. Clowney, or maybe Griffin, seem to be a better fit to me.

I still hope we can retain Clowney, on a team friendly deal, and I still think we have the inside track on that.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Clowney and JJ Watt.

I’ve watched them both closely for a few years.

Sacks are NOT the only “stat” that needs to be looked at.

Guys like these demand attention, a lot of time that means a double team.

Clowney is worth way more that what his “sacks” say he’s worth.

YMMV

luis.hdhoyo

Reaction score
With Hyde's coming and another veteran WR on the table -would rather Gordon than Brown-, I think that Seahawks still miss a veteran and low-priced DT and a good DE. If Clowney is not going to be signed, Griffin or another similar. But it could be the piece Seattle lacks of to complete the whole picture. And even there, we are able to compete, hard to think about that as a favourite or a serious threat

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
luis.hdhoyo":3hy0ed63 said:
With Hyde's coming and another veteran WR on the table -would rather Gordon than Brown-, I think that Seahawks still miss a veteran and low-priced DT and a good DE. If Clowney is not going to be signed, Griffin or another similar. But it could be the piece Seattle lacks of to complete the whole picture. And even there, we are able to compete, hard to think about that as a favourite or a serious threat

Nice first post luis. Great to have you on board.
I like the idea of Snacks, but we really NEED Clowney. Can we somehow swing getting both?

Elemas

Reaction score
I'm thinking signing Griffen and not Clowney is more likely at this point. Would love Clowney back though.

Hard pass on AB. But if Russ is pushing for it....just don't think he would agree to what we could pay him.

Gordon at the vet min would be a risk I'd take. Barring his off the field antics, he could've been a HOFer. Maybe this time around, that will sink in. He's got plenty of mileage left in the tank.

I asked a friend (Raiders fan) what he though of a WR corps of Lockett, Metcalf, Gordon, and AB and he looked sick to his stomach...

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Elemas":31jbh61m said:
I'm thinking signing Griffen and not Clowney is more likely at this point. Would love Clowney back though.

Hard pass on AB. But if Russ is pushing for it....just don't think he would agree to what we could pay him.

Gordon at the vet min would be a risk I'd take. Barring his off the field antics, he could've been a HOFer. Maybe this time around, that will sink in. He's got plenty of mileage left in the tank.

I asked a friend (Raiders fan) what he though of a WR corps of Lockett, Metcalf, Gordon, and AB and he looked sick to his stomach...

Well if we are going to field such a weak ass DL, we are going to have to win a bunch of shootouts. Maybe shoring up the WR corps is the way to go. But I'm not sure a signing drug addict and a sociopath are the way to do it.

Elemas

Reaction score
Totally agree with you but, it's not all that far-fetched right now.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I'm sure they will sign one or two second rate journeyman defensive linemen off of waivers and there will be those here that will applaud the effort. They have completely blown the cap this off season. It really is as big of a failure of an off season as I have seen in 20 years (when they were not completely up against the cap.)

TAB420

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":1sjrdwq6 said:
I'm sure they will sign one or two second rate journeyman defensive linemen off of waivers and there will be those here that will applaud the effort. They have completely blown the cap this off season. It really is as big of a failure of an off season as I have seen in 20 years (when they were not completely up against the cap.)
Can you explain in what area the cap was "completely blown"?

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Not a single difference maker. No player that was great at his former team (besides one that might be going to jail/suspended.) They all seem to have injury or age issues. Of course Pete doesn’t want a ripe, juicy Orange he’d rather have the old empty rind on the team. JS’s GM production this year reminds me of Colliers on field production last year.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
JayhawkMike":33tlusj9 said:
Not a single difference maker. No player that was great at his former team (besides one that might be going to jail/suspended.) They all seem to have injury or age issues. Of course Pete doesn’t want a ripe, juicy Orange he’d rather have the old empty rind on the team. JS’s GM production this year reminds me of Colliers on field production last year.
Oh how I wish I could disagree with your post, Jayhawk. But I just can't. I've always been a big fan of John and Pete and still am, but the moves made this year are complete head scratchers.
We went into this offseason with considerable cap to spend and we have spent it without making a lot of progress.
We got 3 guys on the market who figure to fill obvious holes.
Our first move should have been to get the Clowney deal done. That changes the scope of draft for us. Still could have taken one of our 1st 2 picks, and then drafted a serious RB to plug a glaring weakness, Taylor to be specific. We would still have been in position to get most of the guys we got anyway, none of which helped our OT need, or our DT need, or our desire for a bigtime receiver, or a big time CB. Now we're back to looking at the difference maker we got for corner being a no show. I like the Hyde signing, but he cost us double what Taylor would have. Is Hyde twice as good? Maybe he is today, but adding another injured player to our stable as top tier doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The notion it is unwise to expend higher draft picks on a RB doesn't make sense to me either. Virtually nothing about this Seahawk off season has made a lot of sense to me.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":bxx72gxq said:

Too many needs this off season to go spend 75% of our available cap space on the big flashy free agents.

- O-line
- D-line
- LB
- DB
- RB
- TE
- WR

Hell, it would have been a shorter post if I listed the position groups where were didn't have immediate need and depth.

This is what happens when the majority of your draft picks over the past 2-3 years don't turn into impact players. You have to address the same needs over and over every off season.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
In the end picking at or near the end of the 1st rd. puts the substantial likelihood of swinging and missing on your initial picks. There certainly haven't been many hits recently.

The team's recent trading of early picks for players that they cannot re-sign for cap reasons is another huge concern but the team sometimes gets a short term gain from the moves. This situation is unfortunately not very sustainable and then the seeming effect is there is not much quality depth apparent on the roster. Long term the quality players not drafted are just not there on the roster nor are the big players unable to be kept.

I'd love to see the team re-sign Clowney but am like many others here dubious it will happen. In terms of cost to benefit the player is a quality player who at times makes a difference and does get elite level pressure numbers but isn't a sack artist. Is Clowney worth the $ he apparently wants? I doubt it and so does the FO. In result the impasse continues and Clowney is unlikely to be signed by the Hawks unless there is a softening of his wage demands. I suspect signing for less would be long term advantageous to both sides but Clowney seems quite dug in with his position.

He signs, or he doesn't sign, it is what it is.

Elemas

Reaction score
Appyhawk":36f312ir said:
JayhawkMike":36f312ir said:
Oh how I wish I could disagree with your post, Jayhawk. But I just can't. I've always been a big fan of John and Pete and still am, but the moves made this year are complete head scratchers.
We went into this offseason with considerable cap to spend and we have spent it without making a lot of progress.
We got 3 guys on the market who figure to fill obvious holes.
Our first move should have been to get the Clowney deal done. That changes the scope of draft for us. Still could have taken one of our 1st 2 picks, and then drafted a serious RB to plug a glaring weakness, Taylor to be specific. We would still have been in position to get most of the guys we got anyway, none of which helped our OT need, or our DT need, or our desire for a bigtime receiver, or a big time CB. Now we're back to looking at the difference maker we got for corner being a no show. I like the Hyde signing, but he cost us double what Taylor would have. Is Hyde twice as good? Maybe he is today, but adding another injured player to our stable as top tier doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The notion it is unwise to expend higher draft picks on a RB doesn't make sense to me either. Virtually nothing about this Seahawk off season has made a lot of sense to me.

Agree. I was hoping for Taylor or Dillon as well. Sans Brooks, most of our picks would've likely ranged the same (talent wise) after rounds 1-2.

The Olsen $$$ confuses me. Not that there wasn't a need but, if Uncle Will is back...and Hollister were there as well, it would be ok.

I semi-agree with taking RBs in rounds 1-2 but, we did it with Penny. Then again, there's so many holes on this team. When your pics don't pan out as well as they should, it starts to accumulate rather fast. Every team experiences this but the Hawks have had more than their fair share in recent years.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":3ei7eb1w said:

I think this is an over reach but everyone is entitled to their own view.

I think this offseason has been unusual in many ways. For the first time in a few years the team has not given away early draft picks for some guy the can't likely re-sign like Clowney or Richardson or you name it. They've signed lots of guys to compete for higher $ positions with the hope of scoring. It will remain to be seen how their draft works out but for that we need to wait a few seasons. Make no mistake however, trading for Clowney or Richardson or others and then being unable to re-sign them is equally as bad as draft a player like McDowell who doesn't ever play a down. It's very short term thinking as the team winds up with less than zippo when the player traded for can't be re-signed, if they can't put them selves into a Comp pick situation.

If you are referring to FA signings and the team not finding a difference maker, perhaps this is so. What is not happening though is the team is not crippling itself financially with weak FA signings and seems to go with players who could have a high potential of providing some help. It isn't flashy by any means. It also may not work.

It's still a long time before the games will be played and the whole picture may look a lot better by then.