Seahawks host OL Amini Silatolu

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
kearly":p745m8l8 said:
.............And FWIW, there are some OL out there who don't suck. Stefen Wisniewski for whatever reason never seems to have a market but he's a solid player every season................
Have never understood this either.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
There must be something about Wisniewski personally that is not known to the public.

He is known to Coach Cable after playing for him in Oakland and the team has not moved upon him as yet, though appeared to have some interest last season.

Maybe his contract demands are way out there and as a result the team isn't interested.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1lpypdc7 said:
Seems like were just taking in anyone who will sign with us,

So what's the alternative?, we shouldn't even bother to address the a weaknesses along the O-Line?
Competition will whittle down the prospects, what better way is there to find out if the fire still burns in any of these guys than hosting a mass competition.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Let's see, we have a young player Silatolu that was highly regarded and drafted early pick #40 coming out of college and who has been injured a lot since being drafted.

His play since being has been weak or at best very uneven and he although being a sometime starter has been turned loose not re-offered a deal. However he has shown some modicum of ability. There is little doubt he fits our team's athletic parameters but his play as reported by various sites has been weak or at best very uneven.

Is he worth adding to pile here? Doesn't it depend upon his health? Doesn't it depend upon the terms he's acquired? Price here is everything.

To pan the team for sifting through the potential scrapheap search for diamonds that have underperformed but may have the ability to play seems to be a sucking while blowing exercise. I want them to find guys who will compete and be able to play a physical style of football in our scheme. Deepening the pile here and having a genuine competition with players who have superior physical ability this TC seems to me to be the best way to develop a reliable OLine.

Big names now on the street are on the street for reason and will cost -a- lotta and the team doesn't have the $ to spend -a- lotta.

I'd like to drive a Mercedes Benz but and happy with my Acura as I have a good vehicle at a lower cost.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I think it is pretty clear to the FO that they peed away a SB. It certainly is to me, and I think this is the most attention we have paid to the line in an FA period in some time.

I remain convinced that if we don't make that moronic trade for a TE that ended up hurting our offense anyway, we go to the SB. Getting rid of our effective center (oft injured or not) goes down pretty high in the pantheon of stupid moves this franchise has made.

Sure the same guy making those choices put a lot the pieces in place to get us to the SB. But that was a dumb call to rip out one of the better players on the line because of injury concerns just to give us a TE that didn't help us anyway.

So now, with no center, Sweezy gone and likely our starting LT - now we are scrambling.

Last year might have been the year of 'if only'. Because with a weaker OL and weaker DL, not sure I have a right to expect much from them.

So yay, backup to backup OL to try to fix our godawful OL that pretty much sealed our fate last year.

Now let's hope they don't draft 4 DTs to try to turn them into OL to a vain attempt to fix the rest of the holes in the line.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Such incredible negativity, according to some you have to wonder if the front office can do anything right?

C'Mon Man?

I'd love to have 5 All Pro OLinemen, a franchise QB, All Pro WRs and TEs, a withering pass rush, run stuffers on the Dline, 3 3 All Pro LBs, shut down corners, slobber knocking safeties who can cover the deep zones. Oh wait, we have most of that. The team also has a salary cap which they have managed reasonably well despite a few mistakes.

Pn' J have been darn good at addressing areas of team need since coming here. They are this off season focused upon fixing a weak performing OLine, that they acknowledge they haven't got right. Maybe we should watch and see what they can do instead of being negative.

Cary Kollins

Reaction score
Amini has the potential to be a serviceable starter, he showed flashes at times in Carolina. But as you've read, his pro career thus far has been plagued by injury. Even when healthy, he had moments of being awful mixed with some good flashes.

But sure-thing offensive line starters don't just sit around in free agency. Amini is worth a look, maybe he can stay healthy and turn his career around.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Negativity?

It isn't negative. Just a realistic assessment of the cost of the FA moves last year.

Ripping out our OL, cost us a SB. A few more wins, we don't go to the icebowl and even without HFA, we don't play Carolina after a massive rainstorm in a swamp. Do we beat Denver then? With their ineffective QB play in that game? Probably.

Bringing in a few low grade OLs is at least attempting to patch a hole. So there is that.

But this FA is characterized by making some outright stellar drafts followed by some headscratchingly stupid FA moves (not counting UDFA as FA since it is more like the draft). If you factor in the UDFA success, yes the FA successes are tremendous.

But guys in the league coming off another team? Yikes.

At this point, I am not upset. I expect them to screw up, make a bad move here or there and then offset those moves with some fantastic draft success.

The small moves we get some success on, Burley, Schofield. But when we shoot for shooting star, usually we just end up leaving a smoldering crater in our own team. Not sure it is negative, just the way this FO works.

In the greater scheme, the moves by the FO keep us competitive for a longer time. But the FA moves last year were the equivalent of passing to Richardo instead of giving the ball to Marshawn. They absolutely cost us a championship.

So yes I am excited they are looking to make some OL moves, no I don't trust the bigger moves in FA will be good ones. The best move for this FO has just been draft well and try to keep your guys when you can.

Largent80

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3rr2h2ug said:
So perhaps he's worth a look if the price is right?

Why not?, get his ass in camp and let him compete. If he is better than what we have (which isn't much) he should be ok.

Mojambo

Reaction score
Sometimes these types of injury prone players get healthy for a year or two and become incredibly useful pieces.

I hope they get him inked.

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
MysterMatt":3298p0ws said:
The amount of whining in here is bothersome. Offseason.

But you gotta admit it's comforting that so many fans know better than the FO.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
This front offices MO is to basically throw a bunch of bodies at 1 position group every offseason. Whatever group needs the most improvement. 2011 it was the CBS with Browner, Sherman and Maxwell, 2012 it was the QBs with Flynn and Wilson to compete with TJack, 2013 it was the pass rush with Bennett and Avril added to the Clemons and Irvin pile. Unfortunately I think 2014, 2015 and now 2016 have been spent on the OL..hopefully third time is the charm.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Kennedyin92":3kqzltm7 said:
MysterMatt":3kqzltm7 said:
The amount of whining in here is bothersome. Offseason.

But you gotta admit it's comforting that so many fans know better than the FO.

Perhaps then the FO is right?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
kearly":2mvaghgw said:
Seattle over-committed to Webb, but I like that the Seahawks are chasing a bunch of veterans right now. Bring in as many as you can and hope that one of them turns into the next Breno.

Over committed is a huge understatement.

But rock bottom has already been established on this roster between Nowak still being here and now Webb getting 3M a year (still mind blowing) so how can it get worse?

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3c9n0f0p said:
kearly":3c9n0f0p said:
Seattle over-committed to Webb, but I like that the Seahawks are chasing a bunch of veterans right now. Bring in as many as you can and hope that one of them turns into the next Breno.

But rock bottom has already been established on this roster between Nowak still being here and now Webb getting 3M a year (still mind blowing) so how can it get worse?

Quit yo bitchass whining. You've made it quite clear how you feel about Webb, we all get it.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":ghlouka7 said:
Hasselbeck":ghlouka7 said:
kearly":ghlouka7 said:

Quit yo bitchass whining. You've made it quite clear how you feel about Webb, we all get it.

Neverrrrrr

:lol:

Latest posts