Seahawks interested in San Jose State RB Tyler Ervin

kearly

Reaction score
I don't think he'd be a third down back, I think he'd be a play-maker that they'd find touches for.

HawkGA

Reaction score
A luxury the Hawks probably can't afford early but wow. His speed is really something.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
kearly":2fbio6qo said:
I don't think he'd be a third down back, I think he'd be a play-maker that they'd find touches for.
probably a good way to look at it. Still doesn't give me much faith in the player. We don't have much success with guys we have to force the ball too.

kearly

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":2ipq0347 said:
kearly":2ipq0347 said:
probably a good way to look at it. Still doesn't give me much faith in the player. We don't have much success with guys we have to force the ball too.

I think it would be similar in usage to Bryce Brown after Thomas Rawls was put on IR. The team gave Brown about 30% of the carries randomly through each game as a change of pace back.

My guess is that even a healthy Thomas Rawls will probably finish the season around 200-250 carries. That leaves about 100-150 carries for C-Mike and a drafted RB to compete over.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
kearly":1kufcimb said:
Recon_Hawk":1kufcimb said:
kearly":1kufcimb said:

I think it would be similar in usage to Bryce Brown after Thomas Rawls was put on IR. The team gave Brown about 30% of the carries randomly through each game as a change of pace back.

My guess is that even a healthy Thomas Rawls will probably finish the season around 200-250 carries. That leaves about 100-150 carries for C-Mike and a drafted RB to compete over.

I see Cmike and Ervin competing for the same change of pace back spot. Someone who can play early downs, but I don't think either you feel comfortable playing any 3rd down situation.

imo with Ervin you'd draft him late only if you get the RB you feel good handling 3rd downs and can play early downs.

Personally I'm starting to really like the running back out of Aurbun, Payton Barber. I think he's talented enough to play the
Fred Jackson role and has the size to replace Rawls if need be as a steady 1st and 2nd down between the tackle type.

Combined Barbet st 230 lbs and Ervin at 190lb you cover it all.

cover-2

Reaction score
kearly":31r5acug said:
JSeahawks":31r5acug said:
Most fast guys you have to put on the clock to see how fast they are. This guy just watching him play you can see that he's the fastest player on the field. I don't really see much vision or moves though.

I like how he feels blocks and uses speed to elude.

He seems like a star in the making to me. He took over a game against an SEC defense with no help from his supporting cast. That's pretty special.

Right now he is considered a 3rd round prospect...would you be okay with the Seahawks trading up in the 3rd round to draft Ervin or even use a 2nd round pick on him?

I like Ervin a lot, but it would be difficult for me to stomach using a 2nd or 3rd round pick on him.

kearly

Reaction score
cover-2":zxoxzj2f said:
I like Ervin a lot, but it would be difficult for me to stomach using a 2nd or 3rd round pick on him.

Just my 2 cents here:

I think the talent pool in this draft drops off precipitously around the middle of the second round. After that, it's really more about finding playmakers and contributors than finding guys we should expect to plug in as full time starters.

Willie Henry for example. He's basically a poor man's Jordan Hill as a prospect. He's probably good enough to make a 53 man roster as depth but his upside isn't much higher than that.

I would rather have a player who can make 15-20 impact plays a season, even if it's just on special teams, than a guy that is most likely just going to be roster depth.

By that standard, I feel just fine with taking Ervin in the 3rd round because I know he would add value with impact plays, whereas most of the alternatives in that lower talent pool would mostly be depth guys.

And remember, when Seattle drafted Lockett they had no intention of him being the #2 WR by the end of the season. That was just an added bonus. They mainly drafted him for his special teams contribution and for his ability to create big plays. Lockett was drafted around the same spot that Ervin will go, so it makes sense that Seattle is showing interest.

Subzero717

Reaction score
I hate this. What happened to the circle of toughness? Schneider so much as admitted we werent as tough as we needed to be. Im not a fan of the new identity. It feels like we are losing our identity.

titan3131

Reaction score
Subzero717":26taxsdr said:
I hate this. What happened to the circle of toughness? Schneider so much as admitted we werent as tough as we needed to be. Im not a fan of the new identity. It feels like we are losing our identity.

Think of it as another way to make Russell more of a bully. Just When they think they can blitz... Screen to Ervin 60 yards...

kearly

Reaction score
Subzero717":21vghhuw said:

Marshawn Lynch completed the circle of toughness. Now he's gone, along with the entire OL that blocked for him in SB48. Seattle tried to replace him with similar RB prospects, but it didn't work. Seattle found something else that did work, and has adapted to it.

I don't think Pete is a big fan of the team's finesse evolution either. I think he wants to get Seattle back to being smashmouth again, but it's going to be a long journey and in the meantime Seattle still has to find a way to compete for SBs.

It seems like smashmouth teams rarely last, btw. The 90s Cowboys got finesse, the 2000s Pats got finesse, the Ravens and 49ers badass teams from SB47 got finesse too. It seems like teams can only hold together a badass roster for a few years and then they have to get more conventional to survive long term.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think the USC backfield is what we will see, one guy fast and shifty, one guy tough and rugged and one guy a downhill gap shooter. We will not go finesse or conventional, it's not the attitude Pete wants to project.