Seahawks new OC saying all the wrong things

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":14kj0tlq said:
Everyone told us Pete Carroll Couldn't win at the NFL level. Nobody would buy into his college message... His NFL record spoke for itself...

Fake news. Go Hawks.
Pete Carroll had multiple playoff appearances, a record that was a bit above .500 in the NFL. Not like he was a colossal failure in the NFL. Pete Carroll also had a lot of success as a DC in the NFL before he was a head coach for multiple different teams. He also killed it as a DB coach in the NFL before he was a DC. In college he won what, two different national titles? Carroll also headed a national power house for many years.

The thing about Carroll's tenures is they always got off to a hot start, but they were not able to generate prolonged success. We're starting to see that same thing take place on the Seahawks. After the ill-fated 2014 season the Seahawks have been going down hill, and there has been murmurs, and confirmation from released players about discontent in the locker room. The main difference here is Pete Carroll has complete autonomy over player acquisition, and the final roster.

Now Schottenheimer on the other hand has yet to have success in both the collegiate level, or the NFL level as an offensive coordinator. His offenses have all been horrid, save for one year where it ranked 11th. All of the other years it was in the 20s, and in the NCAA it was 85th of 128th during his one year stint with the Bulldogs. Pete Carroll by comparison had some successes in the NCAA and the NFL as a head coach, and was massively successful as a DB coach, and defensive coordinator. One thing is not like the other.

People can rationalize Schottenheimer's records, and offensive production all they want, but the matter of fact is, wherever he has gone he has been mediocre as an offensive coordinator. UGA, JETs fans, and Rams fans were laughing at us for this hire. I got curious and looked over what he had done, and tried to find what footage I could of his. I was not only underwhelmed, but was horrified by what I saw.

I will be happy to eat crow if he does end up being a good offensive coordinator this year -- but I fully expect everyone to be calling for his head to be hoisted on a pike come mid season. We hired a worse version of Darrell Bevell. Feel free to book mark this and call me on it if I am wrong come the end of this season. I will come for my heaping plate of road kill crow.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2mno86qf said:
The thing about Carroll's tenures is they always got off to a hot start, but they were not able to generate prolonged success.

Untrue.

Carroll had an unprecedented seven-consecutive Top 4 finishes in college football. The only years he didn't win the conference title (and finish ranked in the Top 4 nationally) were his first and last years at USC. He set a college football record for most-consecutive games without losing by more than seven points.

The Seahawks went to six playoffs in seven years, which we had never done before in franchise history. He set an NFL record for most-consecutive games without losing by more than seven points.

This is the definition of sustained success.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
hawknation2018":2jyz1oly said:
Spin Doctor":2jyz1oly said:
The thing about Carroll's tenures is they always got off to a hot start, but they were not able to generate prolonged success.

Untrue.

Carroll had an unprecedented seven-consecutive Top 4 finishes in college football. The only years he didn't win the conference title (and finish ranked in the Top 4 nationally) were his first and last years at USC. He set a college football record for most-consecutive games without losing by more than seven points.

The Seahawks went to six playoffs in seven years, which we had never done before in franchise history. He set an NFL record for most-consecutive games without losing by more than seven points.

I'm talking about his NFL tenure before he was with the Seahawks here.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1i1vwnjh said:
hawknation2018":1i1vwnjh said:
Spin Doctor":1i1vwnjh said:

Untrue.

Not sure what can be gleaned there from four total seasons. Evaluating "sustained success" requires a longer sample size.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Not even Nick Saban has had seven-consecutive Top 4 finishes in college football. His best is four.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
hawknation2018":32xhi6ni said:
Spin Doctor":32xhi6ni said:
hawknation2018":32xhi6ni said:
Spin Doctor":32xhi6ni said:

Untrue.

Not sure what can be gleaned there from four total seasons. Evaluating "sustained success" requires a longer sample size.
Four seasons is a pretty good sample size, it is more than most coaches get in the NFL. Each season the New England Patriots got worse under Carroll. His season with the NY Jets was also a good example of starting off hot and then faltering. It was a trend in the NFL, his ability to manage players, and personalities. It was certainly a factor in his first two rodeos. The NCAA is a completely different field. Many coaches are able to thrive here, but few are able to become Jim Harbaugh or Pete Carroll in the NFL. This is where the rah, rah, players coach mentality is not only encouraged, but thrives.

Players are a revolving door. At most they are staying four years, and a good batch are being cycled in and out every year. Not only that, recruiting also plays a big role here. This part would ultimately be the part that changed in Pete Carroll's next tenure in the NFL, the Seahawks. Pete Carroll kept the same mentality he had in college, he just had the ability to cycle out players that didn't buy into his system, and cycle them out he did. In his first few years he cut some big names and fan favorites. It was a great purge, and the Seahawks set records for most transactions in one season. He ran the Seahawks in the years 2010-2014 like a college organization (which is not a bad thing in this case).

This year we had a second purge. Thomas was put on the trading block, Sherman was kicked to the curb, Bennett was traded away for mere pennies. His ability to have complete autonomy over the roster, and his insider knowledge that he had on NCAA players proved to be the difference maker in this go around in the NFL.

Even with those changes, we saw some similar trends in this go around in the NFL. After the call, Carroll has had a hard time getting his roster to buy in to his message, and manage the issues in the locker room and with his coaching staff. All we heard is rumors but I think what guys like Sherman, Avril and Bennett have been saying has confirmed it. Which is part of the reason why Sherman, and Bennett are no longer with us, and why we tried so hard to get rid of Thomas as well. It is also why Cable, Richards and Bevell are gone. This organization may have not shown it on paper, but they have been very dysfunctional for the last two years.

I think a lot of talent has been squandered, and a lot of abilities wasted in these last few years due to stubbornness and Carroll's inability to get a grip on troublesome players, and that fact will always haunt us Seahawk fans. What could have been, but what never was due to some ill-fated decisions, nepotism, and toxicity within the locker room. Pete Carroll is still a good coach, but part of me wonders if his act has grown stale in the NFL. This season will be a make or break season for him. It surely has been a departure from his previous M.Os. Schottenheimer, and Ken Norton Jr. are both cut from the same cloth. They are no non-sense, old school, militaristic style coaches. Even Solari is of the same ilk. Even Carroll himself looked more pissed off and angry last season. I think we're about to see a new Carroll, the man just looked tired of all of the BS that was being spouted by players, and maybe even his own coaches.

I think Schottenheimer was hired more for his mentality, and ability to command respect than for his prowess as a playcaller. I think that is what sold Carroll on him more than anything, and maybe perhaps his rep as a good QB coach. (Wilson's mechanics really have been going down hill the last few years, though for good reason).

I personally don't think this arrangement will work out. I think if we're going to win it is going to be because of a defensive reinsurance rather than some kind of offensive boon. It is more ore less going to be like a Bevell ran offense, only a little more inflexible in my opinion. I like Schottenheimer as a QB coach, not so much as a play caller. I can see why he was an attractive option for Carroll, given the events that have transpired here over the last few years. I really do hope he can do something, but I'm not holding out hope, especially given Carroll's spotty offenses.

chris98251

Reaction score
Schotty comes from a coaching tree his father that had a pretty much Iron Fist mentality, Rex Ryan the same way, Jeff Fisher the same, you don't buck the boss and do your own thing. I think what Pete needs to allow is for him to game plan and then have the freedom to adjust on the fly when the defense adjusts rather then have a formal approval so to speak. If you have to ask permission to change your play selection then your handcuffed pretty dramatically. You can have a game and team concept but one injury to a key player can change that. You have to adapt to what cards are dealt to you game by game and play to play.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":2fsoappi said:
This sure doesn't sound like he's saying all of the wrong things... Says he's keeping about 70% of the offensive playbook. I'm assuming that means bubble screens are gone hahha

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...offense-but-new-look-is-noticeably-different/
I don't mind that, it isn't necessarily about the playbook, it is about situational awareness and match-ups. How two offensive coordinators use the same playbook will be completely different, and it will yield different results.

sdog1981

Reaction score
People need to go back and really look at those 2009-2011 Jets teams that Shotty was working with. He had no talent and still got his teams into the AFC title game three years in a row with a QB who threw half as many TD's as interceptions. His scheme almost got 1000 yards out of 31-year-old LaDainian Tomlinson, his system revived Thomas Jones's career in his 30's and before you say "It was the defense" go check out that defense it was all scheme over talent. The Seahawks will be the most talented team he has ever coached. This guy and his system turned Jerricho Cotchery into a number one WR. After he left the Jets offense got worse.

adeltaY

Reaction score
sdog1981":1dzdtz4h said:
People need to go back and really look at those 2009-2011 Jets teams that Shotty was working with. He had no talent and still got his teams into the AFC title game three years in a row with a QB who threw half as many TD's as interceptions. His scheme almost got 1000 yards out of 31-year-old LaDainian Tomlinson, his system revived Thomas Jones's career in his 30's and before you say "It was the defense" go check out that defense it was all scheme over talent. The Seahawks will be the most talented team he has ever coached. This guy and his system turned Jerricho Cotchery into a number one WR. After he left the Jets offense got worse.

Cmon, saying the offense got the Jets into the AFCCG is a stretch. Those teams were carried by their elite defenses.