Seahawks on tape: Tight end Jacob Hollister is a mismatch ta

ivotuk

Reaction score
Seahawks on tape: Tight end Jacob Hollister is a mismatch talent

At Wyoming’s 2017 rookie pro day, a 6ft 3 239lb Hollister ran a 4.64 forty.

The tape shows a player who has route running nous and skill, sinking well with his weight over his toes and pressing receivers vertically at the stem of his routes.

Against zone, Hollister clears second level linebackers and nestles beneath deep coverage. Moreover, Hollister can adjust to the ball in air, contorting his body suitably and then positioning himself excellently at the catch point to shield the ball from defenders.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2019/6/21/18 ... ttenheimer

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Can’t help thinking if he’s so good why did the pats get rid of him for so little

chris98251

Reaction score
Oh probably once he learns the playbook we will cut him and then they will resign him. Belichek keeping tabs on all teams. :)

Jville

Reaction score
Finding receivers with speed to attack linebackers and size to attack defensive backs is all the rage in the NFL.

Hollister is one of a number of big fast receivers that Brian Schottenheimer is looking at to that end. A pile of big receivers also gives the defense the competition with which to get their own defenders ready for the season.

Good article with useful background. Although, I diverge from the opinion of the author about Ed Dickson. I think Dickson's veteran experience and proven well rounded value justifies this year's cap number. I suspect Hollister's competition for a spot is more probably with Nick Varnnett and others.

Russell Wilson and his fondness for improvisation will have a lot of influence on final decisions ......
Schottenheimer used Tyler Lockett as imagery for praising Hollister: “Really good route runner. A lot like Tyler in terms of the instincts. You know, just the ability to get open. Has a great feel for coverages man and zone, things like that.”

They found lightening by picking up Justin Colman from the Patriots at just the right time for just the right system. Perhaps they will strike twice. We'll see.
Thanks for the link ... :2thumbs:

knownone

Reaction score
A lot of the hype for Hollister seems to be surrounding his athletic ability and route running. For anyone wondering, Hollister's best comparison from a Seahawk's fan perspective is Luke Willson. Willson is 10 pounds heavier and 3 inches taller than Hollister. He also posted quite a bit better explosive numbers than Hollister.

Just something to keep in mind.

King Dog

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":fn91t89r said:
therealjohncarlson":fn91t89r said:
Can’t help thinking if he’s so good why did the pats get rid of him for so little

Exactly; its unlikely he is suddenly going to pop in the NFL. I think he's just a guy.

I guess you could ask why the Patriots got rid of Justin Coleman for so little. Huh huh?

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
King Dog":2dn87snl said:
FlyingGreg":2dn87snl said:
therealjohncarlson":2dn87snl said:

Exactly; its unlikely he is suddenly going to pop in the NFL. I think he's just a guy.

I guess you could ask why the Patriots got rid of Justin Coleman for so little. Huh huh?

Wow, with this empirical evidence I am sure Hollister will be All-Pro. Go buy your jersey.

Jville

Reaction score
Returning to the article, this is what he brings ........................
The tape shows a player who has route running nous and skill, sinking well with his weight over his toes and pressing receivers vertically at the stem of his routes. Against zone, Hollister clears second level linebackers and nestles beneath deep coverage. Moreover, Hollister can adjust to the ball in air, contorting his body suitably and then positioning himself excellently at the catch point to shield the ball from defenders.
........................................ these are traits to listen and look for during training camp and preseason games as the staff assembles an offense specifically for the 2019 schedule and season. Looking forward to the process.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Hawks fans are truly desperate to see quality TE play from a team member. Adding that missing dimension to the O would be terrific. It has been indeed rare since the inception of the team. I just don't know if this player has the stuff or if this seeming hype around him is want it to be thinking.

The Patriots need quality TE contribution after losing Gronk and have seen this guy play, yet traded him away for peanuts. To me he seems more like a HBack with some move type ability given his reputed speed and his reported flash in OTAs which are absent contact and favourable to a big WR/TE who can't be rubbed. At present I'll reserve judgment until I see if he can block and truly play in traffic. The Patriots are for sure not perfect and Holister has flashed a bit early so I will wait and watch and hope the team found a quality addition.

I sure hope we see a healthy Dissly before the end of TC, b/c I'm not overly enthusiastic about the overall strength of the TE group. Several players need to step up their game as w/o the contribution from Baldwin from the slot will cause there to be a greater emphasis on effective TE play.

Got my fingers crossed.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
So he’s about the size and weight of DK but slower better route runner? Should we also try DK at TE then? And try Hollister in the slot?

toffee

Reaction score
brimsalabim":227apoa3 said:
So he’s about the size and weight of DK but slower better route runner? Should we also try DK at TE then? And try Hollister in the slot?

DK may not want to be a TE, but Hollister at slot sounded interesting.

John63

Reaction score
Sounds like he can be of help.