OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":27gu4vl7 said:
jammerhawk":27gu4vl7 said:
Sure hope so.

Imagine having an OLine that can both run block, and pass protect?

I’d settle for one that was superior at one of the two. However, i’d Rather not settle.

If they can run block well then they are off to the races because Wilson has been making chicken salad out of chicken crap for an O-line that can't pass protect.

Duane Brown gives the O-Line a solid rock at the LT position, which is huge for Russell WIlson. He generally does a good job eluding pressure from the right side. Problems arise when the pressure comes from multiple directions at once.

Losing Russell Okung (without replacing him) was one of the worst personnel decisions in recent memory. Denver only paid Okung $5.2 million for the 2016 season, a deal we surely should have matched. Thank God they eventually got Brown.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":1bgcxqng said:
SoulfishHawk":1bgcxqng said:
Nobody comes out and says "we are gonna' suck" :lol:

No, but they could say, "I like what i see, and time will tell" when it comes to progress. Look at the line I updated about Solari and what he said. He's better than Pete on not talking horse shit.
Sounds to me like it doesn't matter what Pete says, you will interpret it as "Horse Shit", got it :2thumbs:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Pete is who he is, he knows what he's doing. And why would anyone expect something different from him? His approach to football and motivation has been incredibly consistent.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I do think Solari will help clean up and minimize mistakes with this line. His blocking schemes are more basic and efficient at the point of attack and protection.

Along with Penny it should mean a more productive and consistent run game.

But you can have the ghost of Vince Lombardi here, and the linemen still have to play well, and that's where the success really will come from if the line improves.

- Can Fluker stay healthy and not be a hobbled liability like Joeckel was last year
- Can Fant and/or Ifedi solidify the RT position
- Can Britt bounce back
- Can Pocic become a better run blocker with his muscle/weight gain

A LOT of ifs, no matter how good Solari is.

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":12grah7x said:
Pete is who he is, he knows what he's doing. And why would anyone expect something different from him? His approach to football and motivation has been incredibly consistent.

Agree. Players coach and his comments are more geared to "encourage his players" at the risk of blowing smoke up the fans asses and that works well for his players (for those that continue to buy in). My point....any conclusions that he may come to on the oline with pads off are.....well, inconclusive. I like Solari's approach. He is still positive, yet realistic to the knowing fans and more of a cautious optimism that until the pads are on he KNOWS it's just hype to over react this early. :2thumbs:

HawkGA

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3eb14cgc said:
Nobody comes out and says "we are gonna' suck" :lol:

NBA teams did this season, didn't they?

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":wjjxy6oh said:
I do think Solari will help clean up and minimize mistakes with this line. His blocking schemes are more basic and efficient at the point of attack and protection.

Along with Penny it should mean a more productive and consistent run game.

But you can have the ghost of Vince Lombardi here, and the linemen still have to play well, and that's where the success really will come from if the line improves.

- Can Fluker stay healthy and not be a hobbled liability like Joeckel was last year
- Can Fant and/or Ifedi solidify the RT position
- Can Britt bounce back
- Can Pocic become a better run blocker with his muscle/weight gain

A LOT of ifs, no matter how good Solari is.

I like Jordan Roos's potential more Fluker or Pocic's. It would be great if he could grab the RG spot.

Pocic also has his work cut out for him in pass pro.

Even if everyone's technique improves, they still have to put the right players in the right position to succeed.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Duane Brown has said Ifedi is working with Solari a lot and has seen great improvement so far, especially with technique. That was his biggest issue, he let players get a running start every time since his first step was always backwards whereas you watch Duane reach out and hammer his assignment. Keeping Duane around is a huge bonus for the younger guys since he's basically a coach on the field. Getting the line to be averagewill be a huge accomplishment in year 1 and all Russell really needs.

toffee

Reaction score
Two things must happen in order to progress:

1. A vision of future, ie sharp, aggression, dominant etc.. this is the positive stuff.

2. Self evaluation and how to improve. Pocic lacked strength, Ifedi lack discipline etc., This is the negative stuff.

See, it works like this. New manager told an experienced staff why area needed improvement and how to do improve. Then promise a bright future with improvements.

At press conference, we mostly hear the (1) ie vision aka positive stuff. Frankly most fans don’t understand or need to know footworks or pad levels, or hand placements.

Quite sure, or let’s hope there are lots of (2) ie self analysis and how to improve stuff among the coaching staffs, and coaches and players.

Solaris did let a tiny bit of (2) slip in his presser: Ifedi was lazy, not bending enough thus lost leverage, therefore Ifedi had problem with quick DEs. I suspect behind close door, Solari has been chewing Ifedi alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
toffee":1nhqif8p said:
Two things must happen in order to progress:

1. A vision of future, ie sharp, aggression, dominant etc.. this is the positive stuff.

2. Self evaluation and how to improve. Pocic lacked strength, Ifedi lack discipline etc., This is the negative stuff.

See, it works like this. New manager told an experienced staff why area needed improvement and how to do improve. Then promise a bright future with improvements.

At press conference, we mostly hear the (1) ie vision aka positive stuff. Frankly most fans don’t understand or need to know footworks or pad levels, or hand placements.

Quite sure, or let’s hope there are lots of (2) ie self analysis and how to improve stuff among the coaching staffs, and coaches and players.

Solaris did let a tiny bit of (2) slip in his presser: Ifedi was lazy, not bending enough thus lost leverage, therefore Ifedi had problem with quick DEs. I suspect behind close door, Solari has been chewing Ifedi alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not bending is not a laziness issue, it is a problem with technique. You don't want to bend either, you want more of a squat with a straight back, think picking up a heavy object that is on the ground. Bending too much at the waste puts an offensive lineman in a very bad position. Getting beat by quick DE's is either a technique issue, or a problem with lateral quickness. I think Ifedi has a problem with both. He relied on getting off the snap quicker than the opposing DE, which led to a lot of false starts. I don't think he used his hands particularly well either.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Seahawks may plan to have a sharp line, but realistically I see an average, to slightly below average line. I think it will take more than one year to completely turn these guys around. Either way I do think they will be better than last year.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":hh8ye5ys said:
Seahawks may plan to have a sharp line, but realistically I see an average, to slightly below average line. I think it will take more than one year to completely turn these guys around. Either way I do think they will be better than last year.

You're right, but I see them doing far better because we'll have a FB and Blocking TE. That will make a MASSIVE difference.

sutz

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":l51oi82t said:
"Average" OL play would probably get us to the SB. :mrgreen:

brimsalabim

Reaction score
We brought in one of the best tackles in the NFL last season and under our staff he regressed weekly. We know Brown is a great player so we know that regression wasn’t on him! For this reason more than any other I find what he is saying about our new direction with oline coaching to be encouraging!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3nefxh8b said:
We brought in one of the best tackles in the NFL last season and under our staff he regressed weekly. We know Brown is a great player so we know that regression wasn’t on him! For this reason more than any other I find what he is saying about our new direction with oline coaching to be encouraging!

He was also hurt right away.............which is unfortunately typical for holdouts.

I'm not worried about Brown, other than we're not going to be able to extend him and lose another high pick for a rental player.

adeltaY

Reaction score
hawknation2018":2afj5mfd said:
Ace_Rimmer":2afj5mfd said:
jammerhawk":2afj5mfd said:
Sure hope so.

I’d settle for one that was superior at one of the two. However, i’d Rather not settle.

If they can run block well then they are off to the races because Wilson has been making chicken salad out of chicken crap for an O-line that can't pass protect.

Duane Brown gives the O-Line a solid rock at the LT position, which is huge for Russell WIlson. He generally does a good job eluding pressure from the right side. Problems arise when the pressure comes from multiple directions at once.

Losing Russell Okung (without replacing him) was one of the worst personnel decisions in recent memory. Denver only paid Okung $5.2 million for the 2016 season, a deal we surely should have matched. Thank God they eventually got Brown.

Low key such a great point about Okung. Our 2015 line was pretty bad, but it's been particularly terrible since Okung left. Like Unger before him, he did a pretty good job of staying healthy once leaving Seattle too...

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
adeltaY":3j0weihc said:
hawknation2018":3j0weihc said:
Ace_Rimmer":3j0weihc said:
jammerhawk":3j0weihc said:
Sure hope so.

Low key such a great point about Okung. Our 2015 line was pretty bad, but it's been particularly terrible since Okung left. Like Unger before him, he did a pretty good job of staying healthy once leaving Seattle too...

Losing starters in free agency and then not making a serious effort to replace them was a big problem from 2015-17.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
So far, there isn't much competition on the offensive line. Brown, Pocic, Britt, and Ifedi seem virtually locked in as starters. At RG, there does appear to be some competition between D.J. Fluker and Jordan Roos. Rees Odhiambo was so terrible last year that he's mostly competing with himself to remain on the roster. George Fant has yet to be cleared and may not provide much competition for Ifedi because he still has to learn the RT position once recovered. Jamarco Jones is a rookie, stuck behind Brown. The remaining guys, like Isaiah Battle and Skyler Phillips, are mainly providing competition on the periphery.