Seahawks reportedly offered a 2nd round pick for QB Brissett

bigcc

Reaction score
It completely blows my mind that people are trying to defend the idea that this may have happened.. Spending a 2nd round pick on a backup qb with literally no foreseeable future that involves playing time with us?

I'm sure that there is SOMETHING behind the idea, but it being a 2nd round pick and claiming that they wouldn't have taken a 1st is ludicrous.

quadsas

Reaction score
bigcc":2qp3b63p said:
It completely blows my mind that people are trying to defend the idea that this may have happened.. Spending a 2nd round pick on a backup qb with literally no foreseeable future that involves playing time with us?

I'm sure that there is SOMETHING behind the idea, but it being a 2nd round pick and claiming that they wouldn't have taken a 1st is ludicrous.

Dont worry, the connections guy is gonna call you stupid for not seeing THE TRUTH

Fade

Reaction score
When talking backups you're looking at 6th, 7th, and conditional picks, sometimes a 5th. No way this is real of course.

If the Hawks want to throw around high picks it should be for the O-Line. Much better getting a guy you know can play in the NFL than rolling the dice on a College O-Lineman.

Otherwise Seattle needs to keep their picks in their pocket. They are already down a 2nd rdr in 2019 for the Duane Brown trade.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Yes miss re-reported. Apparently Ursay was quoted as saying that the Seahawks asked but he wouldn’t even take a second right now or a first for that matter. He never said what was actually offered though. Some one has already pointed out that we don’t have a second so that surely wasn’t what was offered. Anyway The only way I could see Pete and JS sending a top pick in a trade for a QB is so they don’t have to use the pick themselves.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
brimsalabim":24hbj2nd said:
Yes miss re-reported. Apparently Ursay was quoted as saying that the Seahawks asked but he wouldn’t even take a second right now or a first for that matter. He never said what was actually offered though. Some one has already pointed out that we don’t have a second so that surely wasn’t what was offered. Anyway The only way I could see Pete and JS sending a top pick in a trade for a QB is so they don’t have to use the pick themselves.

That sounds right. Maybe we would have given up a 5th or a 6th & 7th.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Steve2222":1ujhoxf3 said:
How is saying Kap is avaliable trolling? So Brisset for a second is a better alternative than Kap on free agency? Just in case you guys aren’t aware, Kap >>>>>>>>>> Brisset >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Austin Davis
Hey, I like Kaep too, but not so much that I'd be willing to overspend for his services, that would be STUPID.
He's just not going to come cheap enough to be a viable backup.
Pete Carroll said that he's NOT a backup caliber QB....THE END.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The stupidity of our FA decisioning blows my mind sometimes.

But the sheer stupidity of our trade decisioning never does. We routinely make dumb deals. At least this time we didn't. True or not, it wouldn't shock me if it was true.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Jville":152r7m0o said:
KiwiHawk":152r7m0o said:
Jville":152r7m0o said:
I know great sport is made of speculation. So how about looking for possible connections?

Brennan Carroll was the national recruiter coordinator for the University of Miami from 2011 thru 2014.

Jacoby Brissett committed to the University of Florida in 2011.

Brissett transferred to North Carolina State in his final year.

The same school Russell Wilson played at in all but his final collegian year.

If ya want to actually understand something, ya gotta at least try to make the effort, look into some resumes and do a little homework.
I get that you did some homework, but I don't see the connections. Brennan Carroll was the national recruiter for Miami, so because Brissett committed to a school in the same state... I don't see any connection there.

Brissett played at NC state, and Wilson played at NC State... but several years apart. I don't see any connection there either.

By "connection" I mean something that makes him more worthy of acquisition than any other backup QB in the league. I get that Miami is in Florida so therefore... Nah I still don't get that one, but I do get that NC State = NC State, but they got there years apart and by different means (one starting there, one ending there).

Brennan Carroll is familiar with Brissett as their time envelope at the University of Miami overlapped. The Carolina connection is an inference of Carolina's program and staff as an influence in developing and recommending quarterbacks.
But the University of Miami is not the University of Florida, is it? Sorry if my knowledge of the university system in Florida isn't correct.

I think the Carolina connection is tenuous at best. They were separated by several years and Brissett has been in two pro programs since then, which I would expect to have more influence simply because when you're a pro you have literally nothing else to do but dvelopment.

mikeak

Reaction score
There are two parts to the rumor

1) Seahawks wanted to trade for Brissett - possible and even would make sense

2 - They offered a second rounder - no way ever. Never

So I think (hope) people are defending the belief in item 1 and not 2

HawkGA

Reaction score
Perhaps there was a conversation and the Colts asked for a second.

bigcc

Reaction score
mikeak":2a41g2jq said:
There are two parts to the rumor

1) Seahawks wanted to trade for Brissett - possible and even would make sense

2 - They offered a second rounder - no way ever. Never

So I think (hope) people are defending the belief in item 1 and not 2
I don't think anyone saying it's a ridiculous idea to try to acquire him, given the deal he's on I'd be on board with sending a low pick, but the idea that anyone somehow thought we offered a 2nd is absurd. However, irsay saying they wouldn't take a 1st is even more ludicrous, I am beyond happy he's not the hawks' owner lol...

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Jville":w16u8h7o said:
Let the Brissett for Earl Thomas rumors begin. LOL

Four years younger and 1/10th the price, GREAT DEAL!

brimsalabim

Reaction score
No need to be smug. The story is up on the league’s own website.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Smug? Not even. I just don't believe everything I read. And, we don't even HAVE a 2nd round pick next year. Jason La Canfora has already come out and said that it DID NOT HAPPEN. It's the sign of the times, someone posts something or tweets etc. and a bunch of people immediately believe it. And will run with it and trash the front office over something that didn't even happen? Meh.

Jason La Canfora‏Verified account @JasonLaCanfora

Follow Follow @JasonLaCanfora

I'm told the Seahawks did not offer a second-round pick for Jacoby Brissett

This team does need a good vet back up though.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
sounds like it was some click bait nonsense...no wonder why people cry fake news with media stuff these days. No way this trade offer ever happened. I still think we can improve on the back up position after other teams make their cuts.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Exactly, in the next couple weeks, some really good players all around the league are gonna' be cut loose. For various reasons, often $ related. There will be some QB's available.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1xw9n6tl said:
It was also reported that he turned down a deal from the ravens because he didn’t want to be a back up.

Huh? The Ravens never flew him in for a workout because Bisciotti (their owner) got cold feet and nixed it. He couldj't turn down a deal because he was never made an offer. He was never made an offer because they never gave him a workout. They never gave him a workout because their owner nixed the workout.

As for the Broncos, two important pieces of information:

1) They tried to trade for Kaepernick in April of 2016. The first time he knelt was four months after that. Bringing in Kap's suit about if he was blackballed or not for kneeling is simply idiotic of Elway, as he's referencing something that happened months before Kap even knelt for the first time.

2) The Broncos trade offer cut Kaepernicks base salary by 2/3rds and his guaranteed money in half, while offering no more long term security on the deal.

Basically Elways wants us to believe Kap's suit is silly because four months before any of this was even an issue he offered Kap the same deal he already had for half the money. It's just ridiculous.

As for Brissett (the actual thread topic :lol: ), a 2nd round pick is WAY TOO HIGH of a price to pay for negotiating leverage. Either this rumor isn't real or the Hawks aren't nearly as tied to Russell Wilson as everyone thinks they are. I'm guessing this isn't real. It doesn't make any sense.