Seahawks sign BJ Finney G/C

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Love this move, and it's much needed. Solid player. There's a guy at work who's a huge Squeeler fan, he sent me a message last night saying we are gonna' love this guy. Solid pass blocking is the part I like more than anything :irishdrinkers:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Largent80":1ehflway said:
I still want to draft one of the good centers available

I'd think two lineman are still coming via draft, minimum

sutz

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2nb6sxgx said:
Largent80":2nb6sxgx said:
I still want to draft one of the good centers available

I'd think two lineman are still coming via draft, minimum
IIRC they draft OL every year. This signing might shift the priority of where we draft OL, but I'm sure we will.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They have needs on both sides of the line, this was a good start. Much more to come, and I'm sure they will address it in the draft.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Very good signing. The math on Britt's deal implied he would not see the final year the day he signed it. This signing portends that likelihood.

Britt is a quality player. But you can't build a roster where you are having to pay premium positions (LT, QB, DE) at market rates while having a 9M+ center. Seattle has tried to fill DE with rookies by drafting them high each year. The failures of those players to hit are going to make Britt a casualty.

Finney is a quality 'downgrade' at Center. He won't be as good as Britt, but he'll be plenty good enough. And that's an upgrade from what we had on the shelf to replace Britt before yesterday.

This was a good OC draft, but top heavy. Seattle needs a DE, OC and OT. But not enough picks to fill all of those in the draft. They could have added Ruiz/Cushenberry, but it looks increasingly likely that to do that would take our top pick. Leaving the board bare for one of DE/OT in the late 2nd.

Jville

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1du8ipf0 said:
Very good signing. The math on Britt's deal implied he would not see the final year the day he signed it. This signing portends that likelihood.

Britt is a quality player. But you can't build a roster where you are having to pay premium positions (LT, QB, DE) at market rates while having a 9M+ center. Seattle has tried to fill DE with rookies by drafting them high each year. The failures of those players to hit are going to make Britt a casualty.

Finney is a quality 'downgrade' at Center. He won't be as good as Britt, but he'll be plenty good enough. And that's an upgrade from what we had on the shelf to replace Britt before yesterday.

This was a good OC draft, but top heavy. Seattle needs a DE, OC and OT. But not enough picks to fill all of those in the draft. They could have added Ruiz/Cushenberry, but it looks increasingly likely that to do that would take our top pick. Leaving the board bare for one of DE/OT in the late 2nd.

Nicely summarized. The Justin Britt contract was back end loaded. So, the implication was that it would always end with either a contract extension or a contract termination.

What I find interesting is the transition to a different skills mix. The prospect of BJ Finney replacing Justin Britt seems similar to what we saw with Mike Iupati replacing JR Sweezy. Core strength and power to dominate an area over athleticism and change of direction for more mobile and downfield blocking.

The departure of Fant also supports the perception of an ongoing pursuit of a change in the preferred skills mix for the offensive line. We'll see :biggthumpup:

Good signing. Finney has demonstrated some position versatility and has a bit of a wrestling background as well.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
Sounds like the coaches and fans were clamoring for Finney to get more PT at C and G, and possibly was in line for a starting spot.

My guess is, he's in competition to start at C or G, depending on our personnel come training camp time. This would allow to cut or restructure Britt, draft a C or G/T (or all three) and add to our depth.

I think he'll be starting somewhere on our OL...most-likely Center.

Seymour

Reaction score
OMG....that is a first in a long time. They sign a pass protector! :2thumbs: This is the type of journeyman level signing that can make a difference because we still have the flexibility to make other moves. Sign Clowney for $22M and we freeze the team to last years results or worse.

A-Dog

Reaction score
With this signing, the tender for Hunt, and possibly the thinking that Pocic would be better at C than at G (where he's been poor), the writing might be on the wall for Britt.

Not sure why Dickson hasn't been released yet, maybe it has to do with his injury? Does he have to pass a physical before getting cut? This would apply to Britt too I suppose?

Lastly, I wonder if KJ might be cut or at least restructured.

Cutting all three of these guys adds almost $20M in cap space, which would easily over the first year of a Clowney deal. And allow for one more big signing/trade for a Leo.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I like this signing, this is good solid interior player who has not had an issue with his health.

If we look at the numbers of players on the present roster the OGs and OCs are plentiful indicating to me a desire of the team to create highly competitive situations. This would seemingly make re-signing Iupati unlikely and raises the possibility that Britt may become a cap casualty, or be traded.

The numbers at TE as well indicate some moves can soon be expected at that position.

Jville

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":tw3ecuhh said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/caplannfl/status/1240335056687828992[/tweet]

Guarantees: $4.5 mil is fully guaranteed. Consists of 2.5 mil base salary for 2020 plus the $2 mil signing bonus. [urltargetblank]https://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41093128-4[/urltargetblank]

Seanhawk

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":19rxzc4q said:
Getting a BJ is never a bad thing! :lol: :lol:

Agreed. The list of good ones is endless...

BJ Novak
BJ Daniels
BJ Jacobson

I guess there is an end.

Jville

Reaction score
How about we refocus on the topic ......................

[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/1240385737473712128[/tweet]

.......................................................... now isn't that an interesting take :biggthumpup:

Seanhawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3uheqcyu said:
Seanhawk":3uheqcyu said:
oldhawkfan":3uheqcyu said:
Getting a BJ is never a bad thing! :lol: :lol:

Agreed. The list of good ones is endless...

BJ Novak
BJ Daniels
BJ Jacobson

I guess there is an end.

BJ and the Bear?

BJ and the Bear

But that's a chimp. Or is BJ the chimp? Then who's the Bear? Because that's a dude. So confusing.