Seahawks sign Brandon Cottom

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":2648zezz said:
Tough runner, keeps his legs moving. I'd be interested to see if he is also competing for more than just FB.
Seems like he could also play TE. He fits the profile from a 'measurables' standpoint.

two dog

Reaction score
I like to think I stay pretty close to college football. I mean, every Saturday
from 9.00 AM to 9 PM. Weekday games, holiday games and bowl games.
I follow the draft pretty closely too. Online draft sites mostly.

Somehow I whiffed on this guy. Name is a total surprise to me.
Sounds good though with those workout numbers at his dimensions.
Video looks good too, maybe another Pete & Jon special.

Welcome Mr. Cotton, sorry you weren't signed before rookie camp.

Hawks46

Reaction score
vin.couve12":31ihvvi1 said:
I'll say this. I'm not really surprised we got him because most of the league sees the position of FB and is too snooty to give the position the recognition it deserves. "It's a passing league." However, Pete has generally sought after the athlete FB that can give you something in the passing game and even running game as a ball carrier and then coach up the blocking aspect. IF....IF you can get a player who can be a weapon to your offense as well as be a weapon as a run blocker (particularly if you have a top RB where their effectiveness can be amplified) then you really provide a weaponized variable to an offense. A LB doesn't know if he needs to lower his shoulder for a block and he doesn't know if he needs to run and cover on any given play pre snap. You actually see this on a long touchdown in the video above. Kid runs at the LB and gives a little hit and slides off. The LB is overextended anticipating the hit from a 260 pounder and he runs into the wide open for the TD reception. It's great execution and legitimizes the weapon, but that's only in one way.

I like this pickup. I never played FB, but I had quite a few in front of me for many a year.

Good post. I think it exactly describes what Pete is after for the position. At first, I was thinking we drafted an athlete out of position again, but this kid played FB in college. He might be good enough to make the team, but with that athleticism, he'll be stashed on the PS at the very least.

And yea, I was thinking of Weaver. Can't believe I forgot his name.

Oh, what ever happened to Owen Schmidt ?

bigDhawk

Reaction score
This guy looks lik John L Williams catching the ball in the flat. If he picks up th blocking FB stuff, great. But this guy looks lime a legit RB to me.

kearly

Reaction score
I am sure I'm reading too much into this, but this signing just makes me think that Seattle is being realistic about life after Lynch. It's a lot easier to build a Tom Cable in Atlanta DVD style rushing attack than to find the next Lynch. This guy might eventually stick as a TJ Duckett type, if he can't break in at FB.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
I think someone was referring Cottom to Leonard Weaver. He was a 6-1 250 FB who started his career with the Hawks, signed a FA contract with Philly. His career was ended shortly with a leg injury.

He was fast for his size, caught passes well out of backfield - TE at College - and had a great stiff arm,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fvcHYqvuQQ

To this day, I don't know why the Hawks didn't resign him.

IMO, Weaver is the closest comparison to Cottom.

chris98251

Reaction score
Looks more RB and TE then Fullback, catches with his hands and makes it look natural, He drives his legs but doesn't protect them with his pads, if he ran with lean and drive his legs which he may get coached up on, also same on blocks engages and stands up rather then drive. I think he has the tools to work with, playing with a bit more attitude and the correction to his lean and drive and he could be a monster.