Seahawks waive 6th rder Garrett Scott due to Heart Condition

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero 1m
#Seahawks have waived 6th-round pick Garrett Scott because of a rare heart condition. Signed his rookie deal yesterday. That's rough.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Inb4 posters start complaining about a wasted pick.

That absolutely sucks for the kid, pretty heartbreaking. I wish him every success in what he goes on to do. Man that's a rough break.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Curtis Crabtree ‏@Curtis_Crabtree 7m
Actually a pretty cool move by Seattle. By signing Scott, it likely entitles him to receive his signing bonus despite not playing.

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":1ytii0x0 said:
Actually a pretty cool move by Seattle. By signing Scott, it likely entitles him to receive his signing bonus despite not playing.

Zach Whitman ‏@Cablinasian 28s
@DavisHsuSeattle also gives him insurance for the year, apparently.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
DavidSeven":31o0hxi1 said:
KitsapGuy":31o0hxi1 said:

Zach Whitman ‏@Cablinasian 28s
@DavisHsuSeattle also gives him insurance for the year, apparently.

I was wondering if that was a possibility. Class act those Hawks!

Throwdown

Reaction score
That's dope, not just gonna let the young man fend for himself out there.

I love this team.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Once again, Seattle does right by a man. There are more important things than cap.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Very cool move by the FO. As if I could love this team any more

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I believe that Scott was having trouble passing the team physical. He wasn't able to do anything at the mini-camp so he was already a step behind everyone else. It's unfortunate to see something like this happen. A career ended before it starts. It was a nice move by the Seahawks but are they allowed to sign players who don't pass their physicals? Does NFLPA or NFL get involved in items such as this?

danp1990

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":1hyh25em said:
Inb4 posters start complaining about a wasted pick.

That absolutely sucks for the kid, ''PRETTY HEARBREAKING''. I wish him every success in what he goes on to do. Man that's a rough break.

No Pun intended right Somerset? :(

hawknation2014

Reaction score
My prayers for Scott's health.

Time for Garry Gilliam to step up and add some competition to that backup LT spot. Sans Gilliam taking the reins at that position, it appears Alvin Bailey will need to stay at LT, rather than moving inside, which is also disappointing.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
""After undergoing an extensive physical with our medical staff last week, Garrett's examination revealed a rare heart condition that will prevent him from any on-field participation in the near future," said Executive VP and General Manager John Schneider. "We think highly of Garrett as a person and as a football player. The team is committed to supporting Garrett in the months to come and will continue to help him determine his next steps.""
http://www.seahawks.com/news/press/arti ... e2ccf0d8d7

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
He wasn't signed so they could "do him a favor" or as a "nice/cool gesture." By signing him they can now waive him with the NFI designation, then after he clears waivers, he can be placed on I.R. so that the Seahawks keep him and can use the time between now and next season to determine if he's able to return to football, as JS alluded to in his comments today.