Seahawks working on hiring Jay Harbaugh (ST Coordinator)

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Great hire! Many in Ann Arbor thought Jay should have an expanded role with the program.
I was gonna' ask you about him since you've been watching all those years. Good to know it's a solid hire. I get the feeling Macdonald is as bright as everyone has said he was. He's impressive for sure. Looking forward to the future.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
I was gonna' ask you about him since you've been watching all those years. Good to know it's a solid hire. I get the feeling Macdonald is as bright as everyone has said he was. He's impressive for sure. Looking forward to the future.
Not only did Jay coach in Ann Arbor but he also did a stint in the Ravens organization while MM was there.

GemCity

Reaction score
For him to not follow his Dad to LA…and come coach under Macdonald, says a ton.

His pops knows he’s going to be working for a good one. Not to mention a standup organization.

This hire speaks volumes to MMs character.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Good point ^
Clearly this guy is really well respected by players and coaches around the league. It makes a lot of sense why they waited and would have waited a lot longer if needed.
More and more, this hire looks like a home run. It may take a couple seasons to shape the team how he wants, but I think this team is on the rise.

RiverDog

Reaction score
For him to not follow his Dad to LA…and come coach under Macdonald, says a ton.

His pops knows he’s going to be working for a good one. Not to mention a standup organization.

This hire speaks volumes to MMs character.
As I said earlier, there are a lot of negatives about coaching on your old man's staff which may have drove him to consider the Hawks, so I wouldn't necessarily chalk up his decision to coach for us as "speaking volumes to MM's character."

GemCity

Reaction score
As I said earlier, there are a lot of negatives about coaching on your old man's staff which may have drove him to consider the Hawks, so I wouldn't necessarily chalk up his decision to coach for us as "speaking volumes to MM's character."
There may be some truth to that. I don’t know their relationship status but, I assume it’s fine/normal as he was working on Harbaugh's staff.

I imagine that he consulted with his dad and uncle when he made the decision to join the Seahawks. I don’t know if any normal parent would send their kid off to a bad situation…especially when the parent has the resources to make the hire himself.

If that was driven by the desire to get the heck away from his dad, so be it.

Regardless, MM and JS approved. That’s not debatable.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
This would be a really good hire. Jay did a great job with ST under his dad in Ann Arbor and I think it's good he's finally stepping out from dad's shadow. He and MM have a relationship so it makes sense.
Jay has a lot of coaching experience

• Oregon State
    (2008–2011)
    Undergraduate assistant
  • Baltimore Ravens (2012–2014)
    Offensive quality control
  • Michigan (2015–2016)
    Assistant special teams & tight ends
  • Michigan (2017–2018)
    Assistant special teams & running backs
  • Michigan (2019–2020)
    Special teams coordinator & running backs
  • Michigan (2021)
    Special teams coordinator & tight ends
  • Michigan (2022–2023)
    Special teams coordinator

RiverDog

Reaction score
There may be some truth to that. I don’t know their relationship status but, I assume it’s fine/normal as he was working on Harbaugh's staff.

I imagine that he consulted with his dad and uncle when he made the decision to join the Seahawks. I don’t know if any normal parent would send their kid off to a bad situation…especially when the parent has the resources to make the hire himself.

If that was driven by the desire to get the heck away from his dad, so be it.

Regardless, MM and JS approved. That’s not debatable.

Although it's certainly possible, I don't necessarily think that he had a "desire to get the heck away from his dad." It's always a tough situation to work in an organization with a close relative. I once worked at a company that prohibited a supervisor/manager having a close relative work directly for them, and for good reason. Just the perception of a conflict of interest can be a morale problem.

I'm good with the hire, too.

chris98251

Reaction score
Agree that he may want to start making his own footprints, doing so under Mac is a great way to go in this organization that supports Coaches and players very well.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well there is also the fact and they have admitted it, John is the more even keeled one, Jim ultra competitive and is a raging asshole when in that mode, John had stated even as kids Jim was one to fly off the handle if things didn't go right or someone did something wrong.

Tough person to work for when he has standards for himself set so high and he achieved most of them in life, and expects everyone else to push just as hard.

Latest posts