Seattle Mariners @ Chicago Cubs Apr 10-12

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I think the Cubs outfielder almost broke his neck lookiing up at it.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
What about Griffey in the Skydome?Upperdeck shot way out and up there over Hard Rock cafe.
I was wondering that too, but they mentioned several times that it was the longest in the statcast era. Buhner had a couple that were close in distance. Baltimore and NY.
Home runs that that are fun to watch over and over again. Outfielders don't even move, basically.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I was wondering that too, but they mentioned several times that it was the longest in the statcast era. Buhner had a couple that were close in distance. Baltimore and NY.
Home runs that that are fun to watch over and over again. Outfielders don't even move, basically.
The Statcast era only began in 2015 so they aren't looking at a lot of home runs from the past because they just didn't have accurate enough measurements to really compare to today. Still a hell of a HR though by Kelenic!

One thing I've always been a little annoyed at is they stop the HR distance as soon as it hits something. With the launch angle, velocity, and known weather conditions they should be able to fairly accurately determine where a ball would land without hitting anything (it's true launch distance). It would be cool to know that sometimes instead of just saying a HR was 325 feet because it hit the foul pole etc...

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm just passing on what the announcers were saying. I didn't do any research other than looking up two Buhner bombs that were less than the 482 from Kelenic.
It's true, so many times you see the distance and you just laugh. Like.....yeah right, it only went that far?
Ball hits WAY up on the fair pole (I refuse to call it the foul pole, since it's a fair ball if you hit it) and then a graphic says like 370. Um, no.

Last edited:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
The Statcast era only began in 2015 so they aren't looking at a lot of home runs from the past because they just didn't have accurate enough measurements to really compare to today. Still a hell of a HR though by Kelenic!

One thing I've always been a little annoyed at is they stop the HR distance as soon as it hits something. With the launch angle, velocity, and known weather conditions they should be able to fairly accurately determine where a ball would land without hitting anything (it's true launch distance). It would be cool to know that sometimes instead of just saying a HR was 325 feet because it hit the foul pole etc...
I’ve always thought the same way about distance. If the object the ball hits was above the ground level they should be able with trajectory and speed the ball was traveling they’d be able to figure it out.